gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681064 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 01:35:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68820 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »

Summer Of Love is atrocious.  When Girls Get Together is pretty interminable as well.

I confess I have yet to hear Wrinkles.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »

At least Summer Of Love is catchy as hell!

Problem Child might be the worst thing recorded by anyone ever
bluesno1fann
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2014, 07:00:19 PM »

Summer Of Love is atrocious.  When Girls Get Together is pretty interminable as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSJ3DRhs7g

Good Luck, you're going to need it!  Evil

I actually find it to be the other way around  LOL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »

I think you need to go on a "Love vacation" Wink Wink
bluesno1fann
« Reply #354 on: January 11, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »

I think you need to go on a "Love vacation" Wink Wink

Granted, the "Naa na na na na" from Problem Child is fucking annoying, and it keeps repeating throughout the whole song!
But I'd still take Problem Child over Summer Of Love anyday.
Besides, I love Carl's singing on Problem Child!

And at least Problem Child doesn't have this:
"We'll be California Dreamin' Baywatchin' every day, Just off the Malibu Surfin' USA"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »

Agreed Smiley
I like "Problem Child" as a guilty pleasure. When the harmonies kick in on "first we'll be married, with kids after awhile", it sounds (however briefly) like classic BB harmonies there.
They should re-release it with the "Naa na na na na" removed, a la the Party "sound effects" overdub removal.

The only part of "Summer of Love" that I find barely tolerable is the choruses ("Girls are always ready for a Summer of Love...")... and not until Adamghost pointed out that it's the recycled "Child Of Winter" riff did it make sense why I kinda (just a little bit) like that part of the song.

I'll be one of the few (or maybe a growing number?) of people who like a decent smattering of songs from "Summer in Paradise" (album). I think there's a halfway decent EP's worth of material there if you eliminate about 65% of the rest. I really like the "Still Cruisin'" album, and the better tracks from SIP are like a "Still Cruisin'", Part Deux.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:30:23 PM by zatch » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »

Summer of Love.. In The Still Of The Night... Blueberry Hill..  Love Is A Woman.. Johnny Carson... Wrinkles.. Santa's Goin To Kokomo...  When Girls Get Together.. Silent Nite.. Problem Child.. Belles of Paris...  TM Song..  Make It Good...  Winds of Change.. A Day In The Life of A Tree...  Louie Louie..  South Bay Surfer.. Anna Lee The Healer.. Transendental Meditation...  Passing Friend..  Bill + Sue.. Smart Girls.. Im Begging you please.. Cocaine sessions.. Little Deuce Coupe w// James House...  Barbie w/Brian Wilson ..Luau.. Jumpin Jack Flash.. Santa's Got An Airplane.. Country Love LP.. Mike + Dean junk.. Imagine.. My Solution ..  Bluebirds tick tock version.. A Friend Like You.. The Waltz.. You Touched Me.... Lady Liberty.. I know you asked for a couple but I was on a roll.. These songs on this list  make me ILL.. Rock!.. None of these IMHO ever should have seen the light of day... LOL
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:51:32 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »

Agreed Smiley
I like "Problem Child" as a guilty pleasure. When the harmonies kick in on "first we'll be married, with kids after awhile", it sounds (however briefly) like classic BB harmonies there.
They should re-release it with the "Naa na na na na" removed, a la the Party "sound effects" overdub removal.

The only part of "Summer of Love" that I find barely tolerable is the choruses ("Girls are always ready for a Summer of Love...")... and not until Adamghost pointed out that it's the recycled "Child Of Winter" riff did it make sense why I kinda (just a little bit) like that part of the song.

I'll be one of the few (or maybe a growing number?) of people who like a decent smattering of songs from "Summer in Paradise" (album). I think there's a halfway decent EP's worth of material there if you eliminate about 65% of the rest. I really like the "Still Cruisin'" album, and the better tracks from SIP are like a "Still Cruisin'", Part Deux.

The chorus also cribs a bit of "Some Of Your Love" as well....

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »

I kinda don't mind Wrinkles on first listen. It's pretty unremarkable, yeah, but nowhere near the level of awful reached by Summer of Love, most of SIP, Still Cruisin' and Problem Child.

+1, it could easily have gotten a bit of AM rotation back in the day.

And any song with a lyric as dubious as - "He came once Christmas, in a basket" is ok by me  Razz

I'm sure it's already had a mention in this rather old thread, but, and I say this as a major Al fan, nothing in the catalogue is as shameful as "Lady Liberty", if only for it's pillaging of the original number.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »

Summer of Love.. In The Still Of The Night... Blueberry Hill..  Love Is A Woman.. Johnny Carson... Wrinkles.. Santa's Goin To Kokomo...  When Girls Get Together.. Silent Nite.. Problem Child.. Belles of Paris...  TM Song..  Make It Good...  Winds of Change.. A Day In The Life of A Tree...  Louie Louie..  South Bay Surfer.. Anna Lee The Healer.. Transendental Meditation...  Passing Friend..  Bill + Sue.. Smart Girls.. Im Begging you please.. Cocaine sessions.. Little Deuce Coupe w// James House...  Barbie w/Brian Wilson ..Luau.. Jumpin Jack Flash.. Santa's Got An Airplane.. Country Love LP.. Mike + Dean junk.. Imagine.. My Solution ..  Bluebirds tick tock version.. A Friend Like You.. The Waltz.. You Touched Me.... I know you asked for a couple but I was on a roll.. These songs on this list  make me ILL.. Rock!.. None of these IMHO ever should have seen the light of day... LOL

I'm going to have to disagree with Love Is A Woman, Johnny Carson, Problem Child (Guilty Pleasure), Make It Good, A Day In The Life Of A Tree, Passing Friend and Jumpin' Jack Flash.  Tongue  Smiley

I kinda don't mind Wrinkles on first listen. It's pretty unremarkable, yeah, but nowhere near the level of awful reached by Summer of Love, most of SIP, Still Cruisin' and Problem Child.

And any song with a lyric as dubious as - "He came once Christmas, in a basket" is ok by me  Razz

I'm sure it's already had a mention in this rather old thread, but, and I say this as a major Al fan, nothing in the catalogue is as shameful as "Lady Liberty", if only for it's pillaging of the original number.

Lady Liberty isn't too bad. Lady Lynda is great, Lady Liberty isn't good. But there are far worse BB's songs
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »

Have you ever seen the SNL live version of  Love Is A Woman..?? Oh My Im lost for words.. Evil
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »

Wrinkles is a good candidate, but musically I've heard worse.
Though with Wrinkles, the first time I listened to it, I thought it was all right. With each listen after, it got worse and worse for me.

Wrinkles has never been released.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2014, 11:00:27 PM »

Though with Wrinkles, the first time I listened to it, I thought it was all right. With each listen after, it got worse and worse for me.

Another reason why I didn't say it was the worst  Cheesy
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »

And any song with a lyric as dubious as - "He came once Christmas, in a basket" is ok by me  Razz

Lady Liberty isn't too bad. Lady Lynda is great, Lady Liberty isn't good. But there are far worse BB's songs

Which ones in your opinion are worse than Lady Liberty?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:21:06 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »

Carl saves Lady Liberty from being a total train wreck.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »

Another reason why I didn't say it was the worst  Cheesy

It isn't a candidate though.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »

And any song with a lyric as dubious as - "He came once Christmas, in a basket" is ok by me  Razz

Which ones in your opinion are worse than Lady Liberty?

The whole of the SIP album and 15 Big Ones, for one.
A majority of KTSA, Still Cruisin, MIU, Beach Boys Party, and LDC.
There are many other worse songs, but that's all I'll name
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2014, 12:54:47 AM »

Summer of Love.. In The Still Of The Night... Blueberry Hill..  Love Is A Woman.. Johnny Carson... Wrinkles.. Santa's Goin To Kokomo...  When Girls Get Together.. Silent Nite.. Problem Child.. Belles of Paris...  TM Song..  Make It Good...  Winds of Change.. A Day In The Life of A Tree...  Louie Louie..  South Bay Surfer.. Anna Lee The Healer.. Transendental Meditation...  Passing Friend..  Bill + Sue.. Smart Girls.. Im Begging you please.. Cocaine sessions.. Little Deuce Coupe w// James House...  Barbie w/Brian Wilson ..Luau.. Jumpin Jack Flash.. Santa's Got An Airplane.. Country Love LP.. Mike + Dean junk.. Imagine.. My Solution ..  Bluebirds tick tock version.. A Friend Like You.. The Waltz.. You Touched Me.... Lady Liberty.. I know you asked for a couple but I was on a roll.. These songs on this list  make me ILL.. Rock!.. None of these IMHO ever should have seen the light of day... LOL

My Solution? Are you nuts??

Also, Stevie and Oh Lord both originated from the Cocaine Sessions and they're both good. As is Anna Lee, Johnny Carson and, especially, A Day In The Life Of A Tree.

Mind you, I can't stand It's Over Now so hey... (Oh, and I also quite like Battle Hymn) Smiley

Personally I think Summer of Love and Lady Liberty are the two biggest BB offenders. Summer of Love probably the worst as it's been far more widely heard and therefore more reputation-destroying.

As often noted, this is also pretty horrendous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmH2wHTQZ8

I don't know which I hate more: the actual song itself, Mike's buttock-clenchingly embarrassing introduction or when he does the prayer gesture at the end. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:02:29 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:55 AM »

Make It Good
TM Song
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
SOLAR SYSTEM*
Love Is a Woman
Why Won't Someone Dance With Me
Winds of Change
When Girls Get Together
Passing Friend
Maybe I Don't Know
I Do Love You
Crocodile Rock
Problem Child
Under The Boardwalk
Stamosised Forever
Spring Vacation
Bill & Sue
Beaches In Mind

Now that would make a god awful compilation cd.

*Special emphasis for worst Beach Boys song ever.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:52 AM »

Make It Good
TM Song
SOLAR SYSTEM*
Love Is a Woman
Winds of Change
When Girls Get Together
Passing Friend
Maybe I Don't Know
I Do Love You
Crocodile Rock
Problem Child
Under The Boardwalk
Stamosised Forever
Spring Vacation
Bill & Sue
Beaches In Mind

Are you freaking kidding me?!

pleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejoking

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:47:25 AM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:24 AM »

I've never understood the love of the song either.
What do you like about it?

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2014, 02:55:07 AM »

I've never understood the love of the song either.
What do you like about it?

Ok, firstly the humour - they sound like they're having a great time!

Secondly, I like the melody.

Thirdly, and most of all, the inventiveness and the sound effects and so on. Bootleg quality aside, it sounds fantastic! I particularly like the instrumental break towards the end.

But even if you don't like all of this, I don't get how it can't be judged one of their worst ever songs. I still think it deserves to be admired artistically, whereas Summer of Love etc. - they are just utterly creatively bankrupt.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:57:14 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2014, 03:07:49 AM »

cheesy video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btb8cS6CIRo

bloody aweful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k
(when Dean fucks up the sled asshole Mike tosses snowballs and laughs. Luckily some very helpful and very TV-perfect people were close by to aid him.)

nadir of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6U2ubpBd28
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:44:17 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2014, 04:28:03 AM »

Make It Good
TM Song
SOLAR SYSTEM*
Love Is a Woman
Winds of Change
When Girls Get Together
Passing Friend
Maybe I Don't Know
I Do Love You
Crocodile Rock
Problem Child
Under The Boardwalk
Stamosised Forever
Spring Vacation
Bill & Sue
Beaches In Mind

Are you freaking kidding me?!

pleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejoking

No joke, I hate it, but that's 90% down to Gary Moore's horrible, horrible guitar shredding. In all honestly I thought you'd be more upset that I singled out the Dennis Wilson shitefest that is Make It Good.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:30:12 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx