gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:45:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dick Clark/Beach Boys  (Read 4159 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »

Dick died today. The Beach Boys did a New Year's Rockin' Eve. I forget the year. 73-74?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »

Sad news. Bandstand and Where The Action is are two of my favorite 60s shows.

Don't forget The BBs were on Bandstand in '64, lip-syncing Don't Worry Baby.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »

Didn't he just do New Years Rockin' Eve a few months ago?  People always made cruel comments when he appeared, but I thought it was cool that he was confident enough to appear on camera in spite of his minor handicaps.  I'd rather watch Dick Clark with a slur than Ryan Seacrest.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »

Dick Clark showed an early Beach Boys clip on a syndicated show he had back in the early 90's, Dick Clark's Golden Greats. The guys were in their Pendleton shirts doing "Surfin' Safari". I'd never seen that clip before, but it's turned up in other shows since then.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:50 PM »

The BB’s were on “American Bandstand” a few other times as well. They promoted the “LA (Light Album)” in 1979, miming to “Lady Lynda” and “Sumahama” (not sure if they did any other songs on that appearance).

They awkwardly mimed to the “Beach Boys Medley” on an anniversary special in 1981.

I think Brian and Mike both appeared with “Celebration” circa 1978 and mimed to a couple songs including “Almost Summer.”
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:41:08 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »

Dick died today. The Beach Boys did a New Year's Rockin' Eve. I forget the year. 73-74?

Was it 1975?  Carl, Mike, Al only?  Surfer Girl? Singing only? Mike in his vintage sea admiral's get-up? I remember waiting for it and then thinking "that was it?"
oldsurferdude
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »

GIRLS ON THE BEACH HAS JUST STARTED ON TCM. Nice pre-show about Brian before it started.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

Little Richard sang it and Dick Clark brought it to life.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »

Was it 1975?  Carl, Mike, Al only?  Surfer Girl? Singing only? Mike in his vintage sea admiral's get-up? I remember waiting for it and then thinking "that was it?"

Ricky was there, too. and they did Darlin' and sang Wishin' You Were Here with Chicago.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »

Just watched this. Despite the years, Mike, Brian and Al don't look or act much different in their interviews today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxj0UadXIY
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »

Dean Torrence remembers Dick Clark:
http://www.examiner.com/article/dick-clark-remembered

The Beach Boys & Chicago at Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve:
http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/dick-clark-s-new-year-s-rockin-eve-with-chicago-and-the-beach-boys
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

One of those kick-yourself-for-missing-it moments was sometime in the 90's when VH-1, if I remember, was showing those original New Year's Eve broadcasts with Dick Clark, and if I remember (again) the musical performances were left intact. As a big Chicago and terry Kath fan, it was great to see him. Videos featuring him talking or even playing live can be hard to find.

If someone knows, please correct this if wrong: The Beach Boys were there with Chicago that one year, as seen in the Examiner link, and that one was shown by VH1, I think...wasn't Chicago also the featured "house band" on one or two other mid-70's New Years broadcasts? I remember one part that showed Terry Kath making a speech that sounded kind of boozy, and he was sweating like mad, where he was toasting a beautiful girl...other details are hazy.

I think they could make good money selling these 70's and early 80's Dick Clark New Year broadcasts. The nostalgia factor alone would be massive.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »

Also 1991.  Lip synched to the Good Vibrations they recorded for the 1989 Endless Summer tv series (which was recorded May, 1989 Pacific Amphitheater Costa Mesa CA)

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:40:20 AM »

Just watched this. Despite the years, Mike, Brian and Al don't look or act much different in their interviews today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxj0UadXIY

God they look young!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

Dick Clark Interviews Celebration with Mike Love - American Bandstand 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZABFae6ak

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 12:33:14 AM »

They made an appearance at the American Bandstand in late 1980 too (minus Dennis), mimming to "Surfin' USA" and I think "Good Vibrations". Brian has said that Dick inspired him to write music again and Al was mentioning they will be playig in an empty pool for their 20th anniversary or something along these lines. It was up on youtube before they erased my account a couple of years back. 

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 01:17:50 AM »

Also, after Dick's introduction (including a plug for their current album, KTSA) they launched into California Girls which was interrupted by an ABC News Special Report. Bobby Figueroa subbed for Dennis.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:59 AM »

I thought Clark was a cool guy and admired his fight after the stroke.

This isn't on topic but his death reminded me of something. I forget the name of the show but Dick had The Beach Boys singing Add Some Music in his archives. I know they wanted to use it in Endless Harmony but the price was too high. No knock on Dick personally, but I sure wish people who own vintage footage wouldn't sit on it. It's partially music publishers fault as some want a mint to put the footage out. That's why Monster Mash from the "Lost Concert" hasn't been seen on DVD or VHS. I think everyone should be paid of course, but pricing music or footage out of range doesn't make anyone money and only hurts the collector, or the artists themselves many of whom enjoy their old footage.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »

This isn't on topic but his death reminded me of something. I forget the name of the show but Dick had The Beach Boys singing Add Some Music in his archives. I know they wanted to use it in Endless Harmony but the price was too high. No knock on Dick personally, but I sure wish people who own vintage footage wouldn't sit on it. It's partially music publishers fault as some want a mint to put the footage out. That's why Monster Mash from the "Lost Concert" hasn't been seen on DVD or VHS. I think everyone should be paid of course, but pricing music or footage out of range doesn't make anyone money and only hurts the collector, or the artists themselves many of whom enjoy their old footage.

Not sure if this was a Dick Clark related show but group performed Add Some Music... on Get It Together ABC TV in March 1970.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »

Not sure if this was a Dick Clark related show but group performed Add Some Music... on Get It Together ABC TV in March 1970.
That's the show.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx