gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681094 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 06:11:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike now talking 50th Reunion with Brian  (Read 25392 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »

Well, that and simply the presence of Landy for all of those years. Carl`s comments in the Endless Harmony documentary hint at the damage that Landy (and maybe Leaf as well) did to relationships between band members.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2009, 06:39:17 AM »

Well, that and simply the presence of Landy for all of those years. Carl`s comments in the Endless Harmony documentary hint at the damage that Landy (and maybe Leaf as well) did to relationships between band members.

Interesting point, and it would probably make a good thread of its own. I wonder if the relationships were already broken, and it was just a matter of making it public, airing the dirty laundry if you will.

I've often wondered about the relationships between the Wilson brothers, specifically Brian's. Brian stopped touring with his brothers in 1964. With a few exceptions he stopped recording with them extensively (except for an occasional track or two) after Friends in 1968. And, we know that Brian spent the majority of his time in his home.

Obviously, due to their childhood, they had some strong and unique bonds. But in their adult lives, did they see each other, hang out together, spend quality times together, holidays? Just curious....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2009, 07:25:06 AM »

Obviously, due to their childhood, they had some strong and unique bonds. But in their adult lives, did they see each other, hang out together, spend quality times together, holidays? Just curious....

Don't know about the later years, but in the early 70s they recorded in Brian's house, so I guess they saw each other quite often....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »

From the Cabinessence site: "If there wasn't The Beach Boys and there wasn't music, I would not even talk to them. But through music I fell in love with my brothers." .................................Dennis Wilson 
I guess he means that personality-wise, they had very little in common, but music bonded them. Not sure if that helps, but to me it sort of suggests that outside the music, they really didn't hang out. Just speculating.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2009, 10:21:02 AM »

Just another thought on the reunion. Did Mike say "Wembley stadium"? You know what that means, stadium = just the hits, right? Hope they'll do RFH or something instead. You know, if done right and with class, this could be a great, great opportunity for the Beach Boys and their legacy. Hope they'll do it justice, but since they never really took a real chance in the last decades, I'm quite suspicious.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2009, 10:36:19 PM »

Yeah, some sort of live release would be nice too. Any of the previously mentioned shows would be fine but if they weren`t to release a full concert, a double CD of songs from right through the band`s career including some of the rarer heard stuff might be interesting.

How about "The Beach Boys Presents SMiLE"?

Or even "The Beach Boys Presents Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE"?

Grin
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »

You know, if done right and with class, this could be a great, great opportunity for the Beach Boys and their legacy. Hope they'll do it justice

Well, how many times have we said THAT over the last 15-20 years...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »

You know, if done right and with class, this could be a great, great opportunity for the Beach Boys and their legacy. Hope they'll do it justice

Well, how many times have we said THAT over the last 15-20 years...

That's exactly why I also wrote this:

Hope they'll do it justice, but since they never really took a real chance in the last decades, I'm quite suspicious.

Wink

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »

yep, I gotcha...

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2009, 09:14:46 PM »

Yeah, some sort of live release would be nice too. Any of the previously mentioned shows would be fine but if they weren`t to release a full concert, a double CD of songs from right through the band`s career including some of the rarer heard stuff might be interesting.

How about "The Beach Boys Presents SMiLE"?

Or even "The Beach Boys Presents Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE"?

Grin

You know I have wondered about this for the last 4 years. Any chance that to get a BWPS deal Brian had to sign away any chance of a official Beach Boys SMiLE album or boxset in the future?
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »

This topic was covered before.  Brian did not sign away anything to get the BWPS deal; rather, his views on a Smile box set have been along the lines of "over my dead body."  Indeed, musically, all the principal elements of BWPS were derived from already-published tracks, with new lyrics here and there and a couple of new bits (the segues, and the intro to I'm In Great Shape, which is a re-arrangement of the Cantina theme).  That was one reason Mike Love's lawsuit to "stop" BWPS (after it was already released) failed: he couldn't claim copyright violations of unpublished works as a basis to enjoin further sales, since the music had all come out, in bits and pieces, over the years.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Can you recall what thread mentioned a Mike Love lawsuit over the BWPS album? I don't recall that one and would like to read some more.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »

Dear Other Anonymous:  take a look at this and then you can work backwards if you like...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2643.0.html

Yes this is the "News On Sunday" suit, and while that's what turned out to be the focus, the original complaint contained some other alarming suggestions that Smile was a Beach Boys project which Brian stole for himself (the Carlin book quotes Mike to this effect too), and the demands for injunctive relief left some of us with the impression he was also seeking to enjoin - or at least get a piece of - BWPS for himself. 

The irony, of course, is that Mike's name will always be part of Smile - he is the co-author of GV, after all, and credited as such, even though the Tony Asher first and second verse lyrics were used too.  (Look at the CD metadata, or if you have the LP version, the label on side 3).

This whole chronicle was kind of my main contribution to this board but now even I'm tired of it.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »

yes please a beach boys reunion  Grin get mike, al, brian, david, and bruce together not too mention record a new album together as a one last amazing album like what the beatles did with abbey road..
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2009, 01:20:47 AM »

The sticking point will be the Lovester's insistence that the album released to commemorate their 50th anniversary will be the Kokomo sessions boxed-set.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2009, 02:12:52 AM »

yes please a beach boys reunion  Grin get mike, al, brian, david, and bruce together not too mention record a new album together as a one last amazing album like what the beatles did with abbey road..

Your expections are ridiculously high; prepare for ultimate disappointment if a new album comes to fruition.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2009, 08:03:46 AM »

Your expections are ridiculously high; prepare for ultimate disappointment if a new album comes to fruition.

If they could just get the right producer....That's been the key (for better or worse, usually worse) for a long, long time.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »

If they could just get the right producer....That's been the key (for better or worse, usually worse) for a long, long time.

I find it very hard to believe a Beach Boys reunion record would happen without a 'produced by Brian Wilson' thing attached.... But who were you thinking of for the 'co-production' credit?  Roll Eyes My minds gone blank.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »

And now back to this topic. Insert the obligatory calls for Rick Rubin, Darian Sahanaja, the Beach Boys themselves, Nigel Godrich, and every other dinosaur, flavor of the month or 60s ripoff artist.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »

I think you're exactly right, hypehat. Brian will have to be credited as co-producer; and his name will undoubtedly go first.

I'll tell you what, Luther, I wouldn't mind someone like Darian Sahanaja or Scott Bennett or even Jeff Foskett; they know today's Brian as well as anybody, and, most importantly, know how to get the best out of him. While I have my problems with Brian's solo material, I think the production on BWPS and TLOS is excellent.
Nicko1234
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2009, 08:47:18 AM »

Would the rest of the band agree? Or is it more likely to think that they would all work on their songs seperately and there would be very little collaboration. Mike might want to work with Fauerso, Bruce with Foster, Al on his own at Red Barn etc.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2009, 08:59:52 AM »

yea thats another thing the boys have to work together like they did in the mid 60s brian and mike have to wright songs together! One idea I visioned would be a double album 1 cd would be your normal 12 or 14 track cd that covers everything the beach boys stood for (cars, beach. girls, some rockin songs like from the early 70s era, etc) and cd 2 could be a ep 5 or 6 tracks were brian will make a mini  phychadellic masterpiece kinda like a pet sounds or smile
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »

If Brian wants to be a co-producer, I would think Alan B and/or Mark L would be the natural band consensus candidates.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »

All we need to do is...
1. Get a great producer (hey, how about Don Was or Sean O'Hagan, they're good?);
2. Get some great material (hey, how about Mike and Brian just write about 12 great songs together without threatening to maim or at least sue each other?)
3. Get that $500,000 advance an artist such as the Beach Boys will require to record this watershed album that ANY major label would die for;
4. Get somebody to replace Carl's vocals (this should be easy as voices like his are really a dime a dozen);
5. Get the remaining Beach Boys to agree to be in the same room together for more than about 30 minutes;
6. See if we can dig up Derek Taylor to stir up the appropriate  interest in this endeavor.

I would like a real grand finale for this group more than anyone, but, you guys all left reality at the front door of this thread, right?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »

All we need to do is...
1. Get a great producer (hey, how about Don Was or Sean O'Hagan, they're good?);
2. Get some great material (hey, how about Mike and Brian just write about 12 great songs together without threatening to maim or at least sue each other?)
3. Get that $500,000 advance an artist such as the Beach Boys will require to record this watershed album that ANY major label would die for;
4. Get somebody to replace Carl's vocals (this should be easy as voices like his are really a dime a dozen);
5. Get the remaining Beach Boys to agree to be in the same room together for more than about 30 minutes;
6. See if we can dig up Derek Taylor to stir up the appropriate  interest in this endeavor.

I would like a real grand finale for this group more than anyone, but, you guys all left reality at the front door of this thread, right?

Nothing to add, just quoting so everyone can read it again.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx