gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681042 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 04:46:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 443560 times)
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 01, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »

Seinfeld contains three of the most obnoxious television characters ever (and not in any amusing or clever ways),

Naaah man you ain't getting it at all.  They're REALLY funny and the show is REALLY clever.

Apologies if you ain't seeing it.

Back on topic I will buy the box set, have the euphoric wonder of looking through the new book and playing all the hitherto unheard (by me) tracks, rip the tracks and then stick the box on a shelf to gather dust and maybe look through the book briefly again if I ever move house and have to pack it.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 01, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

My Philosophy has been floating around the internet for close to a year now:

http://briandouglaswilson.tumblr.com/post/32547408981/my-philosophy-being-the-first-time-i-have-taken-a

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 01, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

My Philosophy has been floating around the internet for close to a year now:

http://briandouglaswilson.tumblr.com/post/32547408981/my-philosophy-being-the-first-time-i-have-taken-a

Knew I'd seen it somewhere.  To save folks the trouble:

MY PHILOSOPHY

Being the first time I have taken a close look at my philosophy, I find it hard to reveal my beliefs about living. I will try to give my general impression of life.

The first thing that I find about myself is that I am constantly trying to improve myself. I try to keep as healthy as possible and have good morals. I don’t want to settle with a mediocre life, but make a name for myself in my life’s work, which I hope will be music. The satisfaction of a place in the world seems well worth a sincere effort to me.

I think that the type of character that a person develops comes largely with the background of family living. A family should live co-ordinately and happily together. The type of disposition, the taste, and ambitions a person possesses is reflected by his family relations. I am fortunate to have parents who are interested to the way I develop my character, and how I act. Not all people grow up with brothers or sisters; however, it is a good way to learn how to get along with others, and to understand people. Maybe the most important aspect of family living is generosity or the ability to share willingly. I don’t like greedy people.

I feel that a lot of people make the mistake of getting married before they have learned about life and before the have fully matured. I don’t plan to get married until I have had an education and some money in the bank. I think that a person can get married with more confidence if he is prepared. I have often wondered what the girl I marry will be like. I want someone who will love me (of course), and who will reason with me and understand my way of living. Right now the thought of having kids seems like a large responsibility, but I know I will have at least two kids. I want my kids to be healthy and good-natured. I will try to raise them in such a way that they will have confidence and the desire to make a good living.

I go to church every Christmas and Easter but I have certain beliefs. I think that a person can live with more confidence if he has a religion in which he faithfully believes.

When life gets rough most people go to God one time in their life (?). This is an optimistic way of thinking. Most people who believe in a God are happy. I think that a person should be able to change his own religion regardless of his parents’ beliefs.

“We live in divisive times.”
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 01, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »

Right click, open in new tab.

Perhaps some of the photos in this slideshow will be in the MiC book: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/behind-the-scenes-with-brian-wilson-at-the-beach-boys-retrospective-20120927/3-0417918

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1754 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

The remark about not liking greedy people is endearing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1755 on: July 01, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »

Brian's changed his tune re God in recent years.

The Guardian Q&A: Do you believe in God?

Brian: No.

Fair play. And some people still have the nerve to say he's crazy...?
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »

LOL
When was that?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

Do we know anything about the tracks "I Believe in Miracles," "Why," and "My Love Lives On," such as what era they're from, when they were recorded, etc.?

Also, I've seen conflicting information about "Barnyard Blues" and "Mona Kana"--that they're from 1971 and 1968 respectively on the one hand, and that they're both from the 1974 Caribou sessions on the other.

Anybody have any more info?
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 01, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »

Lower-case g ("a god") is correct.

I retroactively raise the grade to A-.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 01, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »

This thread is so weird.  Brow

My fault probably.

What song, besides WIBNTLA, are looking fwd to on MIC?

I am really looking forward to the It's Over Now (Alternate Mix) as I've been getting into the Adult Child material.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 01, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »

Do we know anything about the tracks "I Believe in Miracles," "Why," and "My Love Lives On," such as what era they're from, when they were recorded, etc.?

Also, I've seen conflicting information about "Barnyard Blues" and "Mona Kana"--that they're from 1971 and 1968 respectively on the one hand, and that they're both from the 1974 Caribou sessions on the other.

Anybody have any more info?

Well...here's what I can volunteer....I'm pretty sure the instrumental track of "Why" is from the M.I.U. sessions. As for who wrote it, or if it was supposed to have vocals, your guess is as good as mine.

As far as "Mona Kana", I'm pretty sure what we're getting is the 1968 instrumental recording.

Then "Barnyard Blues", I'm pretty sure it was demoed in 1971, but I'm pretty sure the version Ponghit heard from Alan Boyd had Dennis, Carl, and Ricky on it, so I'd probably venture a guess that it's a 1974 recording, or maybe even a 1974 addition to a 1971 recording.

As for "I Believe In Miracles" and "My Love Lives On", I have no idea. I'm kinda intrigued as to what "I Believe In Miracles" is, but just judging by the title, I'm venturing that it's an unfinished early '70s Dennis thing, which is why it's appearing as a "vocal section" rather than a full song.
Paulos
« Reply #1761 on: July 01, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »

So is Canada Amazon still the cheapest source to date?

just keep posting the best prices, thats what matters.  Grin

The price on amazon.ca suddenly shot up by $30 the other day which is a bitch, cheapest I've seen it anywhere is Sainsburys at £80.99, I posted a link 2 pages ago but it got ignored in the sitcom debate meltdown. Here it is again:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Music/CD/The-Beach-Boys/Made-In-California/product.html?product=E11250584
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 01, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »

Thanks for the info, Sweetdudejim
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 01, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »

Is that the 5, 6, 7 or 10 disc version ? Inquiring minds need to know.
See, here's what you do. See the blue highlighted text? That's called a link. Click on it.
There yet? Good. Glad you are following me. Now put on your specs and read the page. It says "6 CDs".

Now, on the other hand, the link you gave us with the lower price, it said "5 CDs". See the difference now? 5 vs. 6. Hope that was educational. Us Yanks have had this thing called 'da internet' for quite a spell.

Fake Beard

Aye, for which you should be thanking this guy:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
For sure. Even better, I'd like to thank the Brit who invented beer.

Sam Adams invented beer and he was American............................ Cool Guy Razz

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 01, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

I didn't know there was an alternate mix of It's OK. All I ask is that Mike's "in the shade/ lemonade" won't be as painful this time.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 01, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »

I didn't know there was an alternate mix of It's OK. All I ask is that Mike's "in the shade/ lemonade" won't be as painful this time.
huh? The wording. singing it, or both?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 01, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »

The singing of it. There's something about the way Mike sings it that's always irritated me Tongue

JoelBarrish
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 01, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

So, I've been toying with buying the Good Vibrations box recently. With this set on the horizon, does it make buying the Good Vibrations set irrelevant?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 01, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »

The singing of it. There's something about the way Mike sings it that's always irritated me Tongue
Well, he is super-nasal on it. In fact, he is super-nasal on all of 15 Big Ones... not a good thing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

There's nothing wrong with It's Ok to me.  Except that it's too short and there's not more songs like it!

Now "Everyone's in love with you" is another story...

Paulos
« Reply #1770 on: July 01, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »

So, I've been toying with buying the Good Vibrations box recently. With this set on the horizon, does it make buying the Good Vibrations set irrelevant?

If would highly recommend getting it, there's plenty of stuff on Good Vibrations that won't be on MIC, you can probably pick one up fairly easily from ebay.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1771 on: July 01, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »

If would highly recommend getting it, there's plenty of stuff on Good Vibrations that won't be on MIC, you can probably pick one up fairly easily from ebay.

It's worth buying for 4th of July alone.
Paulos
« Reply #1772 on: July 01, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

It's worth buying for 4th of July alone.

Amen, 4th Of July is in my top 10 Beach Boys tracks, absolutely love it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 01, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »

There's nothing wrong with It's Ok to me.  Except that it's too short and there's not more songs like it!

Now "Everyone's in love with you" is another story...
I like the song and Mike is not as irritating on it as on other tracks, but the 45 mix sped up is really nasal. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 01, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »

Yes, Buy it -- you even get real jewel cases in th GV set.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx