gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 03:42:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741555 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6600 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »

That's hilarious! I just re-read my post above and in place of the word I typed ("Faagot") the name "Blueboarder" popped up.   Ha Ha Ha Ha!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #6601 on: September 13, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »

LOL

Mods having fun with the filters again, I see.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: September 13, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »

That's hilarious! I just re-read my post above and in place of the word I typed ("Faagot") the name "Blueboarder" popped up.   Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Ah, that explains why google wasn't turning up anything for blueboarder.
I thought I was like, totally missing a cultural reference there.  LOL
SBonilla
« Reply #6603 on: September 13, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »

Sorry to take up space on the Smile Box thread.  Had to reminisce for a minute.....  Cheesy
So, I'll answer a couple of things so at least one part will be SMiLE related:
The Record Exchange was located at 1005 9th St. Lee Cotton, who was a 45's dealer,  was renting space from Ed Harman; the store was called, "Records." It was featured in the film "Scratch." DJ Shadow sort of put it on the crate digging map.

Now, regarding the "Wonderful" conversation Lee Dempsey and I had in about 1989:  It had to do with a certain 1/4" tape that was being stored at Track Record Recording Studios on Melrose Ave in LA (roughly early '83). The tape was borrowed for part of an afternoon and returned, safely. It seems that story mutated over time.  A few years ago, I found out that the tape was missing and that the BB's organization was trying to locate it. Somehow, my name had been mistakenly attached to its disappearance. I was shocked; I had no idea!  At that time I provided all the information I could recall to try and help to locate the reel. My hope is that it was found and that the tracks will be included on the sessions box set.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: September 13, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »

Steve, do you know if the material on the tape ever surfaced on bootlegs?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SBonilla
« Reply #6605 on: September 13, 2011, 05:41:22 PM »

Steve, do you know if the material on the tape ever surfaced on bootlegs?

Well, two cassettes were run off that day; one for me and one for the fellow who had brought the tape to my office.  That person was already tape trading with other folks in L.A. Yes, the material was booted on vinyl.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »

1. Wake up, slight hangover, put on blue bathrobe

2. Check if my hair is long and greasy enough, control beard for Brian-ness

3. Offer my daughter some hashish, then realize I have no daughter

4. Fall down stairs, no harm done

5. Go to loo, where 'Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile!' has been my constant companion; take my time to drop a big one

6. Check time, it's near 9 AM, store will open soon

7. Bike to city center, ignore all traffic lights, almost get run over by a truck transporting CDs and LPs to record store

8. Arrive in store at 9 AM

9. Stumble to counter, out of breath, look for wallet

10. Buy box

(tbc)

LOL by far the greatest post i've read here in a while!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6607 on: September 13, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »

I just wanted to say that by page 265 in this thread, the last group of posts has just blown my mind, what a small world it is. Mikie, that was a great story to get the ball rolling on all this, thanks for posting that.

If I had known Smile talk was happening at a Valley Forge record show in 1987 with the folks posting here, I would have started collecting and going to record shows before 1990... Grin I'm 10 minutes away.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »

Amazingly enough, there's more to life than SMiLE, Guitarfool. The Beach Boys recorded other stuff too. I very much enjoyed collecting Beach Boys and Beatles and Stones back then and interfacing with fans. Sometimes I wonder who's behind some of the alias's on this board to see if I traded with any of them back when. So far I've met up with a few on another board and here. It continues to be fun, and after all these years we're finally gonna get SMiLE and some other things next year. Stuff just continues to trickle out of the vaults. Remember what Bruce Johnston said about "scrapping the barrel" - his comment in response to whether there was potentially more unreleased material to see the light of day?  Well...........we're not done yet! The well's obviously not dry!!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6609 on: September 13, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »

Amazingly enough, there's more to life than SMiLE, Guitarfool. The Beach Boys recorded other stuff too. I very much enjoyed collecting Beach Boys and Beatles and Stones back then and interfacing with fans. Sometimes I wonder who's behind some of the alias's on this board to see if I traded with any of them back when. So far I've met up with a few on another board and here. It continues to be fun, and after all these years we're finally gonna get SMiLE and some other things next year. Stuff just continues to trickle out of the vaults. Remember what Bruce Johnston said about "scrapping the barrel" - his comment in response to whether there was potentially more unreleased material to see the light of day?  Well...........we're not done yet! The well's obviously not dry!!

Before saying too much more I wanted to make sure I'm not taking that first sentence the wrong way.

I'd also like to assume my favorite restaurant doesn't hold it against me if I choose to order one of the same two items on the menu every time I go there.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: September 13, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »

No, you didn't read that sentence the wrong way. It wasn't directed at you, so don't take it personally.  It's almost like some are so fanatical and obsessed with SMiLE, that it's like a distraction from everything else in their lives. Maybe it's an escape from reality, I dunno. No doubt at all, the Pet Sounds/Smile era was the pinnacle of Brian and the Beach Boys' career. I mean, I'll choose the end cut of a USDA Prime Rib every time if given the chance, but I also like to mix it up with a Porterhouse, a Ribeye, or Fillet Mignon once in a while too!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:22:57 AM by Mikie » Logged

jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: September 13, 2011, 11:10:16 PM »

The record store was The Record Exchange; I owned it, along with Tom Darling (later of the Twinkeyz).  The incident in question took place back stage (someone from KZAP, Dennis Newhall, maybe, had slapped backstage passes on us) . I had brought along Smiley Smile and Carl and The Passions to be signed (just in case).  When I handed SS to Al to be autographed, he looked at it and said, wow, "I don't have this one." The strangest part of the whole thing was Mike contemplating the palm of his hand the whole time.  There was an after concert 'party' at the C Street Saloon; hardly anyone showed up. I was able to sit at the table where Dennis, Blondie and Ricky were.

Wow! That was you?? What a small world! You guys were on 10th Street, right? I pulled down a few collectibles from your shop back in the day. I remember a mint original copy of 20/20 (and I think Stack-o-Tracks) was displayed in your window for awhile. I remember my cousin went with me to your store one day and I eventually picked up 20/20. I couldn't stand just looking at it anymore. The album was already deleted by Capitol's inventory and was not that easy to get at the time. I think your only real competitor at the time was a record store at 804 K Street, run by a guy named Lee Cotten.

Damn, if I'd known about that party on C Street, Steve, my friend and I would have come along too! My friend bent over and looked inside the window of Dennis' limo - he'd just gotten into the back seat with a nice looking woman. Not sure if it was Barbara or not. Dennis loudly called my friend a blueboarder (I guess he was looking at him too long!) Then as they were pulling away, Dennis held his arm out the window and offered my friend some cash!! I guess he felt bad about it or his lady told him to do it. Seemed like Dennis had already had a coupla belts.....

It was a memorable night early in my Beach Boys concert career. When they came around again the following year, Blondie was gone but Ricky was still with them on drums.
Blondie's participation with the Beach Boys probably ended the next night at Winterland when an onstage freakout by Blondie happened,,I saw the whole thing and was kind of shocked...great show otherwise Cool Cool
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:12:35 PM by jimmy1949 » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6612 on: September 13, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »

No, you didn't read that sentence the wrong way. It wasn't directed at you, so don't take it personally.  It's almost like some are so fanatical about SMiLE, that it's almost a distraction from everything else in their lives. Maybe it's an escape from reality, I dunno. No doubt at all, the Pet Sounds/Smile era was the pinnacle of Brian and the Beach Boys' career. I mean, I'll choose the end cut of a USDA Prime Rib every time if given the chance, but I also like to mix it up with a Porterhouse, a Ribeye, or Fillet Mignon once in a while too!

Compared to other hobbies like building ships in a bottle, hot air ballooning, and collecting blues 78's, I'd guess Smile obsession as a hobby would score pretty low on the fanatic level. Or maybe not... Cheesy

(I'd go with the Filet Mignon 9 times out of 10) Wink

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »

Blondie's participation with the Beach Boys probably ended the next night at Winterland when an onstage freakout by Blondie happened,,I saw the whole thing and was kind of shocked...great show otherwise Cool Cool

I was at the Winterland show a few days before the Sacramento show in November, 1973. Blondie was definitely at both of those gigs. Blondie got in a fight with Steve Love the following month in New York and that was it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:31:45 PM by Mikie » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »

Onstage freakout? I'd like to hear about that. I knew about the Blondie and Steve Love fight, but nothing else.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:41 AM »

No, you didn't read that sentence the wrong way. It wasn't directed at you, so don't take it personally.  It's almost like some are so fanatical and obsessed with SMiLE, that it's like a distraction from everything else in their lives. Maybe it's an escape from reality, I dunno.

Mikie I've really enjoyed your stories on the last couple of pages, and I have to admit it's the old time fans like you that make this board worthwhile.

However, please spare us the holier than thou routine. I expect to hear the above stuff from my wife - she's more than earned the right to despair of my Smile fanaticism, but a Smile thread on the Smiley board, 2 months before the release of the Smile Sessions is the last place I want to come and feel guilty about obsessing over Smile! I know your post wasn't necessarily directed at me but you've moaned a few times about the regular posters in this thread and it's beginning to grate a little.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
theCOD
« Reply #6616 on: September 14, 2011, 02:05:36 AM »

However, please spare us the holier than thou routine. I expect to hear the above stuff from my wife - she's more than earned the right to despair of my Smile fanaticism, but a Smile thread on the Smiley board, 2 months before the release of the Smile Sessions is the last place I want to come and feel guilty about obsessing over Smile! I know your post wasn't necessarily directed at me but you've moaned a few times about the regular posters in this thread and it's beginning to grate a little.

Hear, hear!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: September 14, 2011, 04:21:29 AM »

Anyone got any informed ideas about the inclusion of Three Blind Mice? It certainly sounds Smile, but if that were the criteria, then surely Can't Wait Too Long should be on the box.

Is TBM an early version of any of the Smile tracks? What's the connection?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6618 on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:54 AM »

Anyone got any informed ideas about the inclusion of Three Blind Mice? It certainly sounds Smile, but if that were the criteria, then surely Can't Wait Too Long should be on the box.

I'm guessing it's there as a proto-Smile session.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:05 AM »

I'm guessing having TBM on there is saying "here's the beginnings of SMiLE" while Cool, Cool Water is saying "here's evidence that he never fully gave up."

I'm guessing "Can't wait too Long" isn't on there because it's been released more then once.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: September 14, 2011, 05:28:31 AM »

I've just been looking through the dates on Bellagio and there's a May 5th session for Excuse Me, Baby, the day after a GV session

What was this? I haven't heard of this before, unless I'm being dense and missed something

Also, does the spurious in italics refer to the session actually happening or that it was for Capitol?

Obviously this isn't appearing on the box but if TBM is being included, shouldn't this (if it even exists)?

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6621 on: September 14, 2011, 06:00:47 AM »

unless I'm being dense and missed something

You've missed the footnote  Grin

"[3] This is in fact a Wayne Newton session: the connection to The Beach Boys was assumed
  because of the presence of members of 'the Wrecking Crew' on the session."

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: September 14, 2011, 06:03:33 AM »

unless I'm being dense and missed something

You've missed the footnote  Grin

"[3] This is in fact a Wayne Newton session: the connection to The Beach Boys was assumed
  because of the presence of members of 'the Wrecking Crew' on the session."
Well, that's answered the question on being dense, then!! Grin

Sorry about that
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:05 AM »

I'm guessing it's there as a proto-Smile session.

I'm assuming this, but on this basis couldn't any number of pre smile tracks be included? Seems slightly arbitrary to me to include it just because it sounds Smile like, unless they've uncovered some information that links it more solidly to Smile.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be a bonus to have TBM in good audio and I'd rather it was there than not, but just surprises me that a track from 65 is included.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6624 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:03 AM »

I'm further guessing that the tapes turned up post-1996, or it would have been on the Pet Sounds box.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx