gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:00:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do It Again" - The Official COMPLETE Reunion Video  (Read 17987 times)
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »

My bad on my Scott era.  I got the wrong one. 

So if Dave wasn't involved yet when the first cut of the video was done and the guitar solo on both cuts of the video are the same, then I'd assume that in the official video, Dave is miming to Scott Totten's guitar solo, correct?  Or did he just replay it note for note?  I'm not at home to watch the old video, but to these ears, they sound identical.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, I'm just curious.  It doesn't matter to me in the least who it is and I certainly trust Mr. Stebbins word that Dave did play something on the track considering the fact that he mixed it.

I'm 90% sure that it's a different guitar solo, I had the audio playing w/o the video once and thought "this sounds different" and it makes sense to me that Scott put down the solo first then, when David came aboard, he replaced it with his. If David wasn't originally going to be a part of the reunion then this seems a logical explanation (to me at least).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:35 PM »

So if Dave wasn't involved yet when the first cut of the video was done and the guitar solo on both cuts of the video are the same, then I'd assume that in the official video, Dave is miming to Scott Totten's guitar solo, correct?  Or did he just replay it note for note?  I'm not at home to watch the old video, but to these ears, they sound identical.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, I'm just curious.  It doesn't matter to me in the least who it is and I certainly trust Mr. Stebbins word that Dave did play something on the track considering the fact that he mixed it.

I'm 90% sure that it's a different guitar solo, I had the audio playing w/o the video once and thought "this sounds different" and it makes sense to me that Scott put down the solo first then, when David came aboard, he replaced it with his. If David wasn't originally going to be a part of the reunion then this seems a logical explanation (to me at least).

Sounds like a different solo to me, too. Not radically different, but enough to be noticeable.

I think the "leaked" early version of the video had placeholder shots in it (Getty Images etc...) because it was a rough cut that was still being sorted. Same with the track, which was definitely worked on beyond what was on the rough cut video. The Beach Boys/Capitol/EMI were really bummed that the video leaked in an incomplete form. As far as Dave not being a part of the "reunion" early on, I think that's semantics. When the Beach Boys announced an official reunion Dave was part of it. When they released an official Do It Again video Dave was part of it. When they made their first public appearance at the Grammys...Dave was there. So, Wirestone, when you say he wasn't part of the reunion originally, then you assume the in progress Do It Again session/video was the initiation of said reunion. I was told, as it was happening, that the Do It Again vocal session with Mike, Brian, Bruce and Al was a trial balloon. Just to see if it could still work. I also heard there was some tension at that session (not between Brian and Mike)...but that the vocals turned out good, and the thing went forward. As that was happening Dave was being told he was going to be brought into this process once things solidified. They did, he was, Brian and Mike asked him to add some lead and rhythm to Do It Again, that session was filmed. And not until AFTER all of that happened was the official reunion announcement made.

Good point. I don't mean to suggest that Dave has any less right to be in the reunion than anyone else -- indeed, I feel his presence adds substantial legitimacy. (And speaks really well of the other guys.) Just was making the point that the in-progress track and video didn't include Dave because he wasn't part of that early "trial balloon" work.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »

Sounds like a different solo to me, too. Not radically different, but enough to be noticeable.

I think the "leaked" early version of the video had placeholder shots in it (Getty Images etc...) because it was a rough cut that was still being sorted. Same with the track, which was definitely worked on beyond what was on the rough cut video. The Beach Boys/Capitol/EMI were really bummed that the video leaked in an incomplete form. As far as Dave not being a part of the "reunion" early on, I think that's semantics. When the Beach Boys announced an official reunion Dave was part of it. When they released an official Do It Again video Dave was part of it. When they made their first public appearance at the Grammys...Dave was there. So, Wirestone, when you say he wasn't part of the reunion originally, then you assume the in progress Do It Again session/video was the initiation of said reunion. I was told, as it was happening, that the Do It Again vocal session with Mike, Brian, Bruce and Al was a trial balloon. Just to see if it could still work. I also heard there was some tension at that session (not between Brian and Mike)...but that the vocals turned out good, and the thing went forward. As that was happening Dave was being told he was going to be brought into this process once things solidified. They did, he was, Brian and Mike asked him to add some lead and rhythm to Do It Again, that session was filmed. And not until AFTER all of that happened was the official reunion announcement made.

Good point. I don't mean to suggest that Dave has any less right to be in the reunion than anyone else -- indeed, I feel his presence adds substantial legitimacy. (And speaks really well of the other guys.) Just was making the point that the in-progress track and video didn't include Dave because he wasn't part of that early "trial balloon" work.
Yeah, the politics and logistics that fell into place to make this all happen might have an odd chronology from our perspective, but its the Beach Boys and there's always a narrative happening behind the scenes that will explain why things happened the way they did. When I can share all of the ins and outs in a future work I certainly will delve into how this came down. It will also be interesting to see if the same lineup finishes the tour that stood on the Grammy stage. I certainly hope so, and I expect they will, but in the BB's world its never 100%. For now, its nice to see them together, being productive and, from what I hear, getting along great.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »

It will also be interesting to see if the same lineup finishes the tour that stood on the Grammy stage.

Translated: Will the rest of the guys be able to put up with Al for an entire tour?  Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »

Don't laugh, Wirestone.  Al would be the one to keep an eye on.  After what happened with The Beach Boys in '98 and with Brian in '07......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »

Yeah, the politics and logistics that fell into place to make this all happen might have an odd chronology from our perspective, but its the Beach Boys and there's always a narrative happening behind the scenes that will explain why things happened the way they did. When I can share all of the ins and outs in a future work I certainly will delve into how this came down. It will also be interesting to see if the same lineup finishes the tour that stood on the Grammy stage. I certainly hope so, and I expect they will, but in the BB's world its never 100%. For now, its nice to see them together, being productive and, from what I hear, getting along great.

Jon, will this (when tour and album are over) now be a new "final chapter" for the  new edition of "The Lost Beach Boy"? Certainly would make me buy it again.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »

Don't laugh, Wirestone.  Al would be the one to keep an eye on.  After what happened with The Beach Boys in '98 and with Brian in '07......

I'm not laughing, exactly. I'm trying to keep it light while pondering the unthinkable.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »

I'm not laughing, exactly. I'm trying to keep it light while pondering the unthinkable.

You know, through the years I heard the same Jardine stories every fan knows. But to this day, I find it hard to accept that this most normal beach boy, who is such a nice person and a true gentleman, is so hard to deal with.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »

I'm not sure if I only saw the in-progress version before, but watching this again now I'm pretty pleased/encouraged with how it turned out.

Also, Brian doing the lead on the bridge fits better than Carl's voice on the original release (since the song was supposed to be a "throwback", even in 1968).  I was like "wow, that's what was missing that was bothering me a bit on the original track".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx