gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:00:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You're As Cool As You Can Be  (Read 2844 times)
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »

Supposedly in one of the very first Friends sessions the BB's were working on a track called "You're As Cool As You Can Be" friends sessions also have a song worked on named "Our Happy Home"......And a Smile session called "I Dont Know" which i have never heard unless it had been worked into another song. Smiley Smile has a sessions titled "Good News' and "Good Time Mama".

Im curious if anyone has heard about these tracks and also Mona Kani from the 20/20 sessions. And if they did, are they any good?

Again I have no knowledge of these unless they were just loosley based working titles that turned into different/known songs.
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »

I just came across Mona Kani on Youtube for the first time. Instrumental that supposedley Dennis was working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxdS9_9sWQo
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:59:09 PM by jabba2 » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »

Haven't heard any except for "Mona Kani" which is the misspelled, widely circulated title of a Dennis/Steve Kalinich-composed track, Mona Kanau, from 11/15/68. Stevie's contribution was lyrics - they were apparently not his best work. The track itself never had vocals. There's allegedly a 1975 version that exists from the so-called "Dennis/Steve Kalinich poetry album", but I don't know much about that one. Only thing we know about those 1975 Dennis/Stevie sessions is that Grateful Are We For Little Children was "borrowed" by Brian as Saturday Morning In The City (source: AGD).
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »

Haven't heard any except for "Mona Kani" which is the misspelled, widely circulated title of a Dennis/Steve Kalinich-composed track, Mona Kanau, from 11/15/68. Stevie's contribution was lyrics - they were apparently not his best work. The track itself never had vocals. There's allegedly a 1975 version that exists from the so-called "Dennis/Steve Kalinich poetry album", but I don't know much about that one. Only thing we know about those 1975 Dennis/Stevie sessions is that Grateful Are We For Little Children was "borrowed" by Brian as Saturday Morning In The City (source: AGD).

Interesting if this (Mona Kani/Kanau) is indeed a D.W./Kalinich composition, in that the style doesn't seem to fit. Have heard it said also that it was something that Carl was working on, inspired by the Smile instrumental style.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:11:17 AM »

Only thing we know about those 1975 Dennis/Stevie sessions is that Grateful Are We For Little Children was "borrowed" by Brian as Saturday Morning In The City (source: AGD).

I thought "Saturday mornin'..." was begun during the Smile-sessions ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:32:50 AM »

Only thing we know about those 1975 Dennis/Stevie sessions is that Grateful Are We For Little Children was "borrowed" by Brian as Saturday Morning In The City (source: AGD).

Kinda - there's a 1967 "H&V" session where Brian's noodling at the piano between takes and he plays something which is a good part of the main "SMITC" verse riff.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:09:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:36:22 AM »

Kinda - there's a 1967 "H&V" where Brian's noodling at the piano between takes and he plays something which is a good part of the main "SMITC" verse riff.

interesting to know
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »

Kinda - there's a 1967 "H&V" session where Brian's noodling at the piano between takes and he plays something which is a good part of the main "SMITC" verse riff.

And what do we know about "Grateful are we for little children" ? Never heard it and also the "Saturday..."-connection is new to me

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »

while we are on the subject of Saturday Morning in the City, what is known Saturday Night in the City? 

I remember reading in the 88 album reissue of the two Saturday songs as a suite that was "proposed" before Rio Grande.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »

Interesting if this (Mona Kani/Kanau) is indeed a D.W./Kalinich composition, in that the style doesn't seem to fit. Have heard it said also that it was something that Carl was working on, inspired by the Smile instrumental style.

Not an if, it's a definite, as in proven.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »

I think Mona Kanau is great. Definitely overlooked and talked about too little. Sounds like a mix between Slip On Through and Three Blind Mice!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx