The Best of Brian-less Beach Boys album

<< < (10/11) > >>

punkinhead:
Quote from: BJL on September 02, 2010, 08:39:51 PM

Quote from: carl r on September 02, 2010, 03:35:28 AM

I don't want to start a war here, but I'd like to say, 'All This Is That' seems like a bit of a freak occasion, if we think that Brian had absolutely nothing to do with it. Not to say that Carl, Alan and Mike weren't capable of good stuff - but All This... stands apart IMO. 

I beg to differ...I think the thing that confuses people is that all this is that is often attributed strongly to mike and al, when really, to my ears, it is the logical successor to feel flows and long promised road, and has carl's fingerprints all over it!!  It certainly has more in common with feel flows or trader than with mess of help or funky pretty, which seem to represent brian's state of mind at the time - the four above mentioned carl wilson songs are in themselves a bit of a freak occurrence.  Carl's contributions elsewhere in the catalogue are often very good, but those four songs rise to an incredible level, and stand with the best music of the 70s, imho

here here

Mike's Beard:
They were all very capable of writing great tunes in the early 70's which is why despite fewer Brian gems, this is easily my favourite era of the group.

Glenn Greenberg:
Quote from: Jay on September 01, 2010, 11:05:01 PM

Quote from: TdHabib on August 30, 2010, 06:00:23 PM

Brian does the ba-ba-bas on "Long Promised Road".

Are you sure? It doesn't sound anything like him to me.

Not only is it Brian doing the ba-ba-bas on "Long Promised Road," he also harmonizes with Carl at the end, repeating "I'd love to see you" as the song fades out.

MBE:
Quote from: punkinhead on August 30, 2010, 12:20:08 PM

I was thinking of which album is the best Beach Boys album without Brian, but dernit, there's a hint of him on each album. So I propose to make (once again  ;D) a fan mix album of the best BB songs with no Brian involvement at all. If I mention a tune that even has a slight hint of Brian, let me know.

All This is That
I can Hear Music
Long Promised Road
All I want To Do
It's About Time
Feel Flows
It's Getting Late (I can't remember if Brian has vocals on this)
Leaving This Town
Trader
Maybe I don't Know (can't remember either)
10 Years of Harmony
Love Surrounds Me
Only With You
Full Sail
Big Sur (early cut)
Where I Belong
Still Cruisin'
Bluebirds Over the Mountains
Lady Lynda
Cotton Fields (single)
Lahaina Aloha
Cuddle Up
Chasin' the Sky
Somewhere Near Japan
Baby Blue
Be Still
Livin' With a Heartache
Summer in Paradise album  :o
Beaks of Eagles
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Lookin' at Tommorow
Tears in the Morning
How She Boogled it?
Country Pie
Everyone's in Love With You
Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again?
Go and Get that Girl
Nearest Faraway Place
Make it Good
Searchin'
Fourth Of July
Hold On Dear Brother
At the Hop
It's Beautiful Day

How She Boogolooed It may not have it but I have been told he played on it musically but didn't write any of it.
The early Big Sur has him all over it. He sings the back up and you can even hear him right at the end where I think he hums.
Cotton Fields single also has him on back up. I've asked several people in the know and I recall one telling me he cut his vocals seperate after most of the track was finished.
He may be on Cuddle Up. On the 45 mix it sounds a lot like him.
Slim chance but he may be on Baby Blue.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't on  Angel Come Home, Sumahama, It's A Beautiful Day, Here Comes The Night disco, Full Sail, Goin South. I don't think anything but the first song is a classic though.
Never Learn Not To Love does have Brian as does Sound Of Free. Lady doesn't but I guess it's really more of a solo track then Sound Of Free actually was.

punkinhead:
Quote from: MBE on September 13, 2010, 11:35:49 PM

Quote from: punkinhead on August 30, 2010, 12:20:08 PM

I was thinking of which album is the best Beach Boys album without Brian, but dernit, there's a hint of him on each album. So I propose to make (once again  ;D) a fan mix album of the best BB songs with no Brian involvement at all. If I mention a tune that even has a slight hint of Brian, let me know.

All This is That
I can Hear Music
Long Promised Road
All I want To Do
It's About Time
Feel Flows
It's Getting Late (I can't remember if Brian has vocals on this)
Leaving This Town
Trader
Maybe I don't Know (can't remember either)
10 Years of Harmony
Love Surrounds Me
Only With You
Full Sail
Big Sur (early cut)
Where I Belong
Still Cruisin'
Bluebirds Over the Mountains
Lady Lynda
Cotton Fields (single)
Lahaina Aloha
Cuddle Up
Chasin' the Sky
Somewhere Near Japan
Baby Blue
Be Still
Livin' With a Heartache
Summer in Paradise album  :o
Beaks of Eagles
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Lookin' at Tommorow
Tears in the Morning
How She Boogled it?
Country Pie
Everyone's in Love With You
Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again?
Go and Get that Girl
Nearest Faraway Place
Make it Good
Searchin'
Fourth Of July
Hold On Dear Brother
At the Hop
It's Beautiful Day

How She Boogolooed It may not have it but I have been told he played on it musically but didn't write any of it.
The early Big Sur has him all over it. He sings the back up and you can even hear him right at the end where I think he hums.
Cotton Fields single also has him on back up. I've asked several people in the know and I recall one telling me he cut his vocals seperate after most of the track was finished.
He may be on Cuddle Up. On the 45 mix it sounds a lot like him.
Slim chance but he may be on Baby Blue.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't on  Angel Come Home, Sumahama, It's A Beautiful Day, Here Comes The Night disco, Full Sail, Goin South. I don't think anything but the first song is a classic though.
Never Learn Not To Love does have Brian as does Sound Of Free. Lady doesn't but I guess it's really more of a solo track then Sound Of Free actually was.

Can I get a witness?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page