gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681541 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 11, 2024, 10:25:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underrated BB-Related Songs  (Read 25592 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »

The "Marcella" talk on another thread prompted me to listen to Carl & The Passions - So Tough, and I was knocked out - again - by "Cuddle Up". This has to be, not just one of Dennis's greatest songs, but one of The Beach Boys' greatest songs, to me anyway. However, it rarely gets noticed outside of the Beach Boys' circle. So, I was inspired to list my three most underrated Beach Boys-related songs. What are yours?

1. Cuddle Up - Never appears on a comp, was rarely performed, probably won't be in the future; love the fragile Dennis vocal, the "choir-like" backgrounds, the strings are just right; very romantic, not as rough as something from POB; I wish somebody would cover this and give it a slow dance beat; I think it could be a hit.

2. Amusement Parks USA - The most intense two minutes ever put on a Beach Boys' record; love the Mike/Brian trade-off, the Palisades Park-like organ, that cool tambourine; the instrumental bridge is one of the most rockin' things Brian ever did; if you could eliminate the annoying screaming/laughing, it would be a classic!

3. Cherry Cherry Coupe - Wasn't a single, kind of short, but so cool; another one that didn't make a comp, it's a neat "car song" because it isn't racing fast, just a nice cruisin' beat; one of Mike's best vocals, and a lot of Dennis on the backgrounds; great drumming from Hal (?), Brian was able to churn these mini-classics out like nothing, never get tired of this one.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »

1, Our Car Club - Probably my favourite car song that the band ever did and one that again is seldom heard.

2, Daybreak - Not just underrated but still unreleased. Should have been included on LA imo and is better than most songs that the band released during the wilderness era.

3, Viggie - It's good I tell ya!  Smiley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »

Great thread subject...

We'll Run Away - To me the middle section of this is one of BW's best non-falsetto vocal moments. "If other kids went through it, then I know we can do it..." Some might consider the lyrics sappy, but i absolutely love them. The payoff..."It wasn't too long ago when our  folks were...going through the same thing we are now...but one thing they're forgetting, a thing they're not regretting...they ran away and got married anyhow."  Maybe Brian's parents were regretting it, maybe not, but i love that lyrical twist and I love the melody and most of all Brian's performance. No one gives this song any props, and it mystifies me. Would make a great cover duet for some teen pop stars.

Tug Of Love - I realize its only been available commercially for a year and a half, but this has got to be one of Dennis' most inventive and underrated productions. The fact that it was slapped on as a bonus track on the Legacy POB disc one is part of the problem. It obscures what is a truly great DW moment. Some of us, Hanlon included, really lobbied hard for this to be the lead track of the Bambu side(disc two). That would have given it the focus it deserved. But that was a sequencing choice that Sony overruled. I love the song, I think its another DW mini-masterpiece, warts and all.

I Wanna Cry - Dave and the Marksmen - A 1964 track written and produced by a 16 year old, this song really deserved to be a top 40 hit, instead of a single nobody heard. The twelve string is magical, the tom thumps are British Invasion meets Spector, haunting backing vocals. Sounds closer the the Zombies than the Beach Boys. I don't know how Dave pulled this off, but he sure didn't get any credit for it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »

We'll Run Away - To me the middle section of this is one of BW's best non-falsetto vocal moments. "If other kids went through it, then I know we can do it..." Some might consider the lyrics sappy, but i absolutely love them. The payoff..."It wasn't too long ago when our  folks were...going through the same thing we are now...but one thing they're forgetting, a thing they're not regretting...they ran away and got married anyhow."  Maybe Brian's parents were regretting it, maybe not, but i love that lyrical twist and I love the melody and most of all Brian's performance. No one gives this song any props, and it mystifies me. Would make a great cover duet for some teen pop stars.

Agreed. A very underrated tune. I have always loved that song and you have stated the exact reasons why I love it.

Of course it all depends what you mean when you say "underrated" but some other tunes that I think are underrated are: "Your Summer Dream", "Ballad Of Ole' Betsy", "Let's Put Our Hearts Together", "Keep An Eye On Summer", "Little Pad" and "She Knows Me Too Well". Not sure if everyone would consider those underrated but I still think some of them deserve more attention than they get. There are also plenty of other tunes I could have listed - just so many quality tunes!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:30:34 PM »

Great thread subject...

I third this one. I've always been blown away by how high BW is singing that bridge WITHOUT using his falsetto. I remember trying to hit those notes way back in high school and just could not get there (and still can't of course).

Your Summer Dream is another one with an amazing BW vocal and the lyrics are really evocative of magical summers that never were...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »

I completely agree about both "Cuddle Up" and "We'll Run Away."  I was blissfully unaware of "Cuddle Up" for far too long, but when I heard it, damn, it knocked me right out.  The way it builds up slowly is so captivating, and it's one of Dennis' best vocals.  His raw emotion just hits you right in the gut...Dennis could really just spill his guts on record and have it sound beautiful.

"We'll Run Away" is fantastic as well.  Brian's voice is (as usual for that era) amazing, and he takes a simple concept and simplistic lyrics and makes it memorable.  I certainly echo the sentiments of other posters about this one.

One I'd like to add is "No Go Showboat."  It doesn't deviate much from their other car songs in terms of content, but it's really one of Brian's best early vocal arrangements.  Brian and Mike compliment each other so well on the verses, and Brian's solo falsetto parts are incredible.  Great group vocals on this one too.  Very underrated compared to several other car songs they did.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »

Here are mine:

Awake- Although it's not exactly a beach boys song, I LOVE it! My favorite part is near the end, where there is a big drum roll, and you hear this big voice singing  "Ariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise!".  Another favorite part of mine is the weird ascending and decending chord progression that doesn't make much sense, until you stop thinking about it.  Smiley

Steamboat: For some reason, I find this song quite spooky, or dark. I love it though. My favorite part is the guitar solo. It's probably the most "hard rock" the group has ever sounded, at least studio wise.

A Day In The Life Of A Tree: This song has one of the best melodies I've ever heard. It's beautiful, yet sad. It fits perfectly with the lyrics. This also has probably the most magnificent fade of any song I've ever heard.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 02:10:15 AM »

In the past, I would have mentioned "Your Summer Dream", but I think it has gotten a lot more attention amongst the big fans in the past decade or so, but among the general public, I'd definitely say it's underrated.

As for songs that are underrated among fans, I'd propose:

"She's Just Out To Get You" - A spirited Mike Love lead vocal, among his best, and some very catchy background parts.

"The Girl From New York City" - Mike had some amazing lead vocals on the early hits, but he doesn't sound any more into what he is singing than he does on this song.  A lot of people say it's a weak opening song for SDASN, but I beg to differ.  It really would not have fit anywhere else on the album than the beginning.

"Love Surrounds Me" - LA Light Album version.  An appropriately gruff lead vocal from Dennis on top of a contemporary, tastefully synth-heavy track.  The last 45 seconds or so take me to another place and remind me why I'm a fan.

"Givin You Up" - COuld have been a hit single, if it was given the chance.  Same thing for "One More Night Alone".

"Here She Comes" - Funky and cool, and not at all what a BB fan would have expected in 1972.  Which is part of what makes it so great!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:24:16 AM »

I love Cuddle Up, but for me there is something about the chorus that lets the rest of the song down. I dunno but it just doesn't live up to the beauty of the goregeous string and piano middle section and the background vox of the second verse 'The night...(aaah)'. Although now it is hard to imagine it any other way, I wonder how a more um 'restrained' chorus would have worked.

A Day In The Life Of A Tree: This song has one of the best melodies I've ever heard. It's beautiful, yet sad. It fits perfectly with the lyrics. This also has probably the most magnificent fade of any song I've ever heard.

I love that to and have said before I think that fade is every bit as heartbreaking if not more than that of Til I Die.

Sam

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »

"Givin You Up" - Could have been a hit single, if it was given the chance.  Same thing for "One More Night Alone".

Yep. Actually, I find the Youngblood album underrated; I rank it No. 2 behind POB as far as BB solo albums go (as I run for cover....)

I've seen "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" mentioned a couple of times. I hate to rehash the term, but the end of that song is, well, genius. If Brian was ever gonna record a solo album while with the Beach Boys, I wish it would've been that 1969-1970 period. He was writing some amazing stuff. How about this for an album side:

1. Add Some Music To Your Day
2. This Whole World
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Good Time
5. My Solution
6. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
7. Til I Die 

OK, continue with the underrated and under appreciated..."Michael Row The Boat" anyone? Seriously!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

A few that come to mind:
SJS nailed one with "Cuddle Up," not only one of the most tender performance Dennis ever gave, just a fantastic song and production. When that last violin comes in after "I know a man who's so in love" I don't mind saying I've shed a tear there.

One that I've been listening to over and over again is "Hang onto Your Ego" with the full group vocals that was on the boxset. What a cool song that is, especially with Brian belting out the chorus so effectively.

"She Knows Me Too Well" should be a pop standard and classic as should "Please Let Me Wonder," but PLMW gets a bit more attention. Brian's vocal on "She Knows" is extraordinary.

"Long Promised Road," especially the middle-eight, one of the most beautiful moments in BB hisory. "Trail starts at dawn carries onto the season's ending." "Funky Pretty," a classic Brian head-scratcher. One of the times where Brian was extremely inactive and then BAM he comes through with a gem.

"Sherry She Needs Me," the 1976 version. Why this wasn't included on an album, or on the GV set is a mystery to me. Beautiful, gruff vocal with Brian in great form on the chorus in falsetto.

"I'll Bet He's Nice" is one of my 10 favorite BB tracks, just a beautiful song and a really cool arrangement.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »

Here's a few:

One that always comes to mind is "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone" from CARL & THE PASSIONS.  Just a good, contemporary rock song where the boys come together as a band, musically & vocally.  Also, a different sound that I wish they'd explored more.  Love the distinctive keyboard intro, the banyo, harder-edge guitars, & the way the bass & drums sync.  Some may be taken aback by Carl's vocal, but I love it.  In a fair world, it would have been a hit, showing the BB were more than surf, cars, & fun in the sun.

Have the BB ever performed this song live since the early '70s?  I'd also enjoy learning which BB played what instrument.

I'm also partial to "Woncha Come Out Tonight" from MIU in 1978, especially that high falsetto at the ending where they repeat the title several times.  Woncha still proved the BB were in a league of their own vocally when they wanted to be.  "Pitter Patter" is another guilty pleasure from that LP, again, the vocal arrangement & the guitar/bass/drums are pretty good.

"Full Sail" & "Goin' South" are 2 from "Light Album" with Carl vocals that I think need more attention, too.  They fit the late night vibe of that LP perfectly.

Moving on into the '80s, I've always loved their version of California Dreamin."  To me, it didn't get so bogged down in the '80s of processed synths & all that.  Great band vocals, too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »

"Long Promised Road," especially the middle-eight, one of the most beautiful moments in BB hisory. "Trail starts at dawn carries onto the season's ending."

This was used very effectively on one of the documentaries (Endless Harmony?) when it came to Carl's passing. It kind of stops your breath....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »

Here's a few:

One that always comes to mind is "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone" from CARL & THE PASSIONS.  Just a good, contemporary rock song where the boys come together as a band, musically & vocally.  Also, a different sound that I wish they'd explored more.  Love the distinctive keyboard intro, the banyo, harder-edge guitars, & the way the bass & drums sync.  Some may be taken aback by Carl's vocal, but I love it.  In a fair world, it would have been a hit, showing the BB were more than surf, cars, & fun in the sun.

I'm also partial to "Woncha Come Out Tonight" from MIU in 1978, especially that high falsetto at the ending where they repeat the title several times.  Woncha still proved the BB were in a league of their own vocally when they wanted to be.  

Was just listening to "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone"; love the part "She don't know me, she don't know it, she don't know...."; Brian still had that knack for writing those "out there" arrangements.

I prefer the Ten Years Of Harmony version of "Wontcha Come Out Tonight"; it's about 11-12 seconds longer, and I believe a slightly different ending mix(?), but it highlights the part you're referring to, especially when the horns come in.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »

"Long Promised Road," especially the middle-eight, one of the most beautiful moments in BB history. "Trail starts at dawn carries onto the season's ending."

This was used very effectively on one of the documentaries (Endless Harmony?) when it came to Carl's passing. It kind of stops your breath....
Endless Harmony, yeah. It's always what pops into my head. That and that in 2008 when Rolling Stone was taping a backstage pre-show thing with Brian before a gig he unexpectedly started playing that part on the piano, the first time anyone had heard him play it.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SG7
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »

Kiss Me Baby - That song is AMAZING!! The harmony, orchestration, everything.

Trombone Dixie - Such a travesty this song did not close out Pet Sounds. It's like the one song if you want to describe the style Brian was using around that time, this is the song to play.

Your Summer Dream - Everything is so lush in this song. I would love to hear a jazz interpretation of this.

She's Not the Little Girl I Once Knew (alt. version) - I honestly wish this had been the official version. The acapella break is just killer. Sorry Brian, but Mike was a better pick to do the spoken bits.

Big Sur (alt. version) - Same wish as SNTLKIOK. Holland I think plain suffers from waay too much narration.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »

I like I Just Got my Pay and All Dressed up for School much better then Marcella.
Can't Wait too Long is not bad for a song never really finished
When Girls get Together is not as horrendous as most say
I...I like Sumahama  Embarrassed
Honkin' Down the Highway
The Night was So Young

These are my confessions.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »

"Sweet Sunday Kinda Love"
"Rainbows"
"Almost Summer"
"It's Tryin' To Say"
"Stevie"
"That Special Feeling"
MBE
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

Games Two Can Play
California Slide.
We're Together Again
Celebrate The News
What can I say I love the late sixties stuff!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

"Full Sail" & "Goin' South" are 2 from "Light Album" with Carl vocals that I think need more attention, too.  They fit the late night vibe of that LP perfectly.

These 3 are personal favorites of mine, and YNAMOHTSA and Full Sail have always been recurrent inclusions on my in-car compilations.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 03:15:20 AM »

'Aren't You Glad' and 'Friends' - Might be the two most laid-back, relaxing songs I've ever heard.

'Winter Symphony' - I LOVE the steady, driving piano, the cool lead vocal and the beautiful French horn.

'All This Is That' - Amazing how it's so beautiful even though it's not really going anywhere.

'Cuddle Up' - If there's a heaven and they're still looking for some kind of theme song to welcome folks at the gates, I suggest they'd take the backing track and backing vocals of 'Cuddle Up' from 2:44 on.

'Looking At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)' - Great spooky folk ballad.

'The Lonely Sea' - This might be my favorite pre-Today! BB ballad.

'Long Promised Road' - Carl's masterpiece.

'Looking Down The Coast' - My favorite unreleased BB song.

'It's A Beautiful Day' - I think they really re-captured the spirit of their early sun & fun hits here.

'Time To Get Alone' and 'This Whole World' - These are both in my BB top 5.

'I Wish For You' - Hard to listen to this one with dry eyes.

And the entire 'That Lucky Old Sun' album. I've never been a really big fan of Brian's solo stuff, but this is my 6th favorite BB/BW album - right after 'Pet Sounds', 'Sunflower', 'Smile', 'Friends' and 'Today!'...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:33 AM »

Couldn't agree more about "A Day in the Life of a Tree" and "Cherry Cherry Coupe".

Off the top of my head...

"Roller Skating Child" - believe it or not, this is easily among my top 10 favourite Beach Boys songs. "Insane" Brian at his catchiest ever and I love the quirky production (still haven't figured out everything going on in the background during the verses)

"Lahaina Aloha" - I've always been a huge fan of the song "Jamaica Farewell" and this is as good as an hommage to that tune could ever get. Yes, it's on Summer in Paradise and I think it's great (unlike most of the other tracks on that particular album...)

"Lookin' at Tomorrow" - production-wise this is as dark as the BB ever got. Very underrated tune. By the early 70s Al Jardine did some very fine work with the group. Love the "California Saga" as well

More to follow...
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 06:13:11 AM »

"Lahaina Aloha" - I've always been a huge fan of the song "Jamaica Farewell" and this is as good as an hommage to that tune could ever get. Yes, it's on Summer in Paradise and I think it's great (unlike most of the other tracks on that particular album...)

Agree that this one is underrated and the only thing that lets it down is Terry Melcher's drum-heavy production.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »

In no particular order:

1. Let Him Run Wild - I put this with "Little Girls" and "California Girls" as the best of that era.

2. Rainbows - That would have been a great Beach Boys song!

3. Santa Ana Winds - While not prolific Al could occasionally come up with a real gem. 

4. Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight.

5. All This is That - Music to chill out by.  This is by far the best "non-Brian" Beach Boys recording.

6. It's Gettin' Late - I love the horns as a counterpoint to the synths.  I was never a big fan of the synth heavy sound but I do like this. 

7. All I Wanna Do - Mike Love's best moment as a Beach Boy.

8. Roller Skating Child - Get beyond the creepy lyrics and this song flat out rocks.

9. Livnn' With a Heartache - If only Carl's solo work sounded more like this.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

California Slide.
Now there's one I haven't heard enough of. In fact it's interesting that Dennis could've made a killer soloish album with all of his Add Some Music/Sunflower stuff: "San Miguel," "California Slide," "Forever" etc. etc.

I agree with "Roller Skating Child," forget about the lyrics, forget about the lyrics...what a production!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx