gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:01:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Beach Boys", Springfield, MO. July 31, 2009  (Read 6585 times)
Wilsonista
« on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:44 AM »

I just got back from Springfield after seeing the Mike and Bruce show. I didn't really know what to expect. I have been especially hard on Mike and his usage of the band name did not change my mind about him in terms of the band's backstory. So, I went into tonight with a chip on my shoulder. (My pissing matches as of late with various Smiley denzens were also coloring that chip too). But I decided to take a chance based on some fan reviews from fans and scholars that I respect and truly like and admire. (Craig, your reviews were what finally convinced me to go see a BB show after staying away for almost a decade).

From the opening number, it was clear that the current incarnation of the touring BB band came to play with feeling and that they did. The new show opening where the 45 recording of Surfin' turns into a live performance of the song is a nice reminder of the original BB's beginnings. Launching into Surfin' Safari, Catch a Wave et al,  the band blazed through those early numbers with an energy that you would only see in young garage bands (this is a much leaner  version of the touring band). John Cowsill  plays  with a combination of Dennis' firepower and Hal Blaine's chops. He puts the rock and roll back into the BB's sound. The vocals which, in the wake of Carl's death and Al's departure had become shaky and downright sloppy are now pure, pristine, and gorgeous (Scott Totten singing Ballad of Ole Betsy gave me goosebumps  I hadn't experienced since the very first time I heard BDW's lead on the original record ; Randelle Kirsch was also equally stunning on Don't Worry Baby and I'm So Young). But the biggest surprise in the BB band was Michael Edward Love himself. His live lead vocals had been woeful since at least the 80's. The previous show in 2001 being, for me the nadir and a reason why I stopped seeing his band's shows.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by how well Mike sang. The overtly nasal tones typified by the Knenworth show were gone and replaced by something resembing his classic voice.  Dance Dance Dance being a strong highlight. The other big surprise was a guest appearance from the Cowsills who performed ,with the BB band, a stirring rendition of Indian Lake.

The only minor quibbles were Mike's stage patter (his schtick was old back in the 60's and has not aged gracefully at all - but his excellent singing actually made it easy to forgive and forget the locker room patter) and Kokomo. The subtleties of the live arangemment was lost on the festival crowd., the quieter Kokomo I'm guessing comes off better in a theater setting. Which leads me to this observation, the strongest band performances  were on the Pet Sounds hits and Good Vibrations. With fewer players onstage, they manage to capture the feel and the nuances o this complex music. The playing on God Only Knows was as stunning as the BW band's performances of the song (even if Bruce's voice isn't really strong enough to sing it).

After  Fun Fun Fun (and a show that clocked in at less than 2 hours), I was left wanting more, which is a good thing. After all, isn't that the old show biz adage? This lineup can stand alongside the best of the classic live BB lineup. I went in a skeptic and came away very impressed.  Kudos to Mr. Love for recognizing that his show needed a fresh change and kudos to Scott Totten for making that change happen.
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:20:35 AM »

Indian Lake?

Hey, Hey it's The Cowsills!

Wish I had been there .......

Outie
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:56:44 AM »

Hey kid, I knew you'd see the light someday. Mike's the Greatest.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »

Uncle Murry Rocks!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2TM1VhRNMc
Jason
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »

This might be a put on...

Although honestly, if you let message board folks colour your feelings about the Lovester, maybe you shouldn't be on message boards in the first place. Smiley
Wilsonista
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »

I wouldn't go THAT far.
Wilsonista
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »

This might be a put on...

Although honestly, if you let message board folks colour your feelings about the Lovester, maybe you shouldn't be on message boards in the first place. Smiley

I didn't need message board folks to color how I felt about ML. If you're allowed to love Brian's talent in one breath and call him a "sickening sociopath" in one breath then surely I should be allowed to seperate my admiration for his contributions from his role in the band's fall from grace (which was neither a David Leaf invention or an exagerration).
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »

I wouldn't go THAT far.

You already did. Join us in our Big Sur singalong and diss Brian's wussyness as much as you want. It's fun to mock the weak, you should know from your experiences in high school.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »

Don't want to join in with Monsieur Bipolar, but you're right: "But the biggest surprise in the BB band was Michael Edward Love himself. His live lead vocals had been woeful since at least the 80's. The previous show in 2001 being, for me the nadir and a reason why I stopped seeing his band's shows.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by how well Mike sang. The overtly nasal tones typified by the Knebworth show were gone and replaced by something resembing his classic voice.  Dance Dance Dance being a strong highlight."

Saw them twice in the last four years and he was way better than he'd been in the 80s.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx