gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 03:58:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 36133 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2009, 07:50:13 AM »

Thanks for the link, LostArt. I missed it first time around. THAT'S what I'm getting at!

Same here.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:12 AM »

Well, yeah.  Maybe Carrie could answer for David?

I really don't have any idea what David said to Donna that left that impression...I know he discovered the Rock Star energy drink that day and was even more hyper than usual, so I can imagine that whatever it was, it was probably pretty funny.

Does he think its realistic that all the elements will align that need to for a reunion to logistically work out?  Not really.  But I would not say that he is "adamant it will never happen."  Johnnyhypothesis is right...he just wants to be out there playing, so of course he would want to participate IF anything happens.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

What exactly was the founding date of the BBs, by the way? I want to construct a backwards counting stopwatch on my PC.

Pick a date, any date...

December 30 1961 - first 'major' live show
December 23 1961 - first live appearence as The Beach Boys
November 1961 - "Surfin'/Luau" by The Beach Boys released on Candix 331
October 3 1961 - first Hite Morgan session, "Surfin'", "Luau" & "Lavender" recorded (as The Pendletones)
September 15 1961 - demo session for Hite Morgan (tracks as above)
Labor Day weekend September 2/3 1961 - the band rehearse "Surfin'" in Murry & Audree's absence (according to BB legend - questionable)
August 1961 - the band audition for Hite Morgan: Dennis says Mike & Brian have written a surfing song (he's lying...)
June 1961 - Alan returns to LA, meets Brian and they form a group with Mike & Carl
spring 1960 - for some early lineups of Carl & The Passions at Hawthorne High, Brian uses Mike and Carl
late 1950s - the Wilson & Love families harmonise at the Christmas gatherings of the latter.
mid-1950s - Brian, Dennis & Carl sing together after lights out in their bedroom at 3701 W. 119th Street.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:55:26 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »

I really don't have any idea what David said to Donna that left that impression...I know he discovered the Rock Star energy drink that day and was even more hyper than usual, so I can imagine that whatever it was, it was probably pretty funny.

Does he think its realistic that all the elements will align that need to for a reunion to logistically work out?  Not really.  But I would not say that he is "adamant it will never happen."  Johnnyhypothesis is right...he just wants to be out there playing, so of course he would want to participate IF anything happens.

Don't mean to stir anything up, but I told the truth as to what they said to me. Whether or not anyone was hyper that day didn't have any affect on my hearing!!!!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

Don't mean to stir anything up, but I told the truth as to what they said to me. Whether or not anyone was hyper that day didn't have any affect on my hearing!!!!!

I believe you, DonnaK. While we obviously disagree on this topic, I absolutely believe you reported what you heard. While I'm not that familiar with David's interviews, I've been saying for years that Al says the loopiest things. I actually look forward to Al's interviews JUST to hear/read what contradictory things he will say. Right now, to Al Jardine the new solo artist, a Beach Boys' reunion is "uncool", until the telephone rings...
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »

I would be all for a reunion as long as everyone was happy about it.  Part of the reason is I would love to see them play Holland in full, I know that will not happen, but come on- it's the perfect choice! 
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »

What exactly was the founding date of the BBs, by the way? I want to construct a backwards counting stopwatch on my PC.

Pick a date, any date...

December 30 1961 - first 'major' live show
December 23 1961 - first live appearence as The Beach Boys
November 1961 - "Surfin'/Luau" by The Beach Boys released on Candix 331
October 3 1961 - first Hite Morgan session, "Surfin'", "Luau" & "Lavender" recorded (as The Pendletones)
September 15 1961 - demo session for Hite Morgan (tracks as above)
Labor Day weekend September 2/3 1961 - the band rehearse "Surfin'" in Murry & Audree's absence (according to BB legend - questionable)
August 1961 - the band audition for Hite Morgan: Dennis says Mike & Brian have written a surfing song (he's lying...)
June 1961 - Alan returns to LA, meets Brian and they form a group with Mike & Carl
spring 1960 - for some early lineups of Carl & The Passions at Hawthorne High, Brian uses Mike and Carl
late 1950s - the Wilson & Love families harmonise at the Christmas gatherings of the latter.
mid-1950s - Brian, Dennis & Carl sing together after lights out in their bedroom at 3701 W. 119th Street.

Late 1958, early 1959, Carl and David begin playing guitars together, Brian teaches them his orig. material.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »

First, to be clear...I am not speaking for Al, only David...and I never said you were lying, or misrepresenting what he said to you because I don't doubt for a second he made some flippant, anti-reunion comment to you that day.  And, it is true that David  jacked up on caffeine and ginseng does not affect your hearing...but it DOES affect what comes out of his mouth!!!!!

You are entitled to your opinion about whether or not a reunion will / should happen, and I respect that POV whatever it may be...but if are trying to use David to back-up your position, you'd be wrong because I happen know, for a fact, that if given the opportunity, he is more than on board for just about anything involving playing or recording with any of the other Beach Boys again.  And he'd do a damn good job, too!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »

I believe you, DonnaK. While we obviously disagree on this topic, I absolutely believe you reported what you heard. While I'm not that familiar with David's interviews, I've been saying for years that Al says the loopiest things. I actually look forward to Al's interviews JUST to hear/read what contradictory things he will say. Right now, to Al Jardine the new solo artist, a Beach Boys' reunion is "uncool", until the telephone rings...

Thanks Sheriff. YOU are not the person I want to have p.o'd at me!!!! Just reporting the facts as I heard them!!! I don't want anyone p.o'd at me!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »

First, to be clear...I am not speaking for Al, only David...and I never said you were lying, or misrepresenting what he said to you because I don't doubt for a second he made some flippant, anti-reunion comment to you that day.  And, it is true that David  jacked up on caffeine and ginseng does not affect your hearing...but it DOES affect what comes out of his mouth!!!!!

You are entitled to your opinion about whether or not a reunion will / should happen, and I respect that POV whatever it may be...but if are trying to use David to back-up your position, you'd be wrong because I happen know, for a fact, that if given the opportunity, he is more than on board for just about anything involving playing or recording with any of the other Beach Boys again.  And he'd do a damn good job, too!

Oh crap. Apparently I did it again. From now on, I refuse to repeat anything that anyone tells me. I didn't mean to imply that David or Al were lying Carrie, I just stated what they said to me when I brought the question up to them. Geez Louise...I really like you guys, you are so nice. Let's not get all upset about this. Please!!!! I' m sure somedays they want a reunion, somedays they don't. It was a great pleasure meeting you, David, et al and I hope in the future you won't hold this against me!!!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »

I would be all for a reunion as long as everyone was happy about it.  Part of the reason is I would love to see them play Holland in full, I know that will not happen, but come on- it's the perfect choice! 

Is it? Anyway, I'd pay any amount of money if that performance would include the whole of Mt Vernon and Fairway.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »

[quote author=DonnaK link=topic=7551.msg122683#msg122683 date=1248315919]
"It's been a long time since Mike and Brian collaborated together with music or anything else for that matter. Brian's worked with Tony Asher on Pet Sounds, Van Dyke on Smile, Scott Bennett for TLOS, etc. When WAS the last time he and Mike did a song together?Huh

I think that Brian has passed the musical stage of the Beach Boys and gone further ahead muscially. I was listening to TLOS last night, and the horns, violins, flutes, etc. all the instruments that Brian uses in his band now, is so much more advanced than the Mike/Bruce band. I'm sorry to say that the Mike/Bruce band could just be another tribute band who keep touring the world like so many others. Even Al does new music for goodness sakes."

To be fair, Mike's recorded at least one entire album of new stuff that no one cares to release. Brian could hand an hour of blank tape over to his lable and they'd release it and Brian people would praise it to high heaven. So, why slam him for playing the hits?
How is Brian really any different, other than releasing a new album? He has a BBs sound alike band and they play the hits too and other guys sing Mike's parts on many songs that Mike co-wrote! If that's fine, then leave him and Bruce alone and go praise Brian and his band. There's enough options Brian/Mike-wise/your entertainment dollar-wise to go around.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:14:06 PM by Erik H » Logged
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »

.......because nobody's interested in it!

Watson, did you hear this?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »

yeah, and that's sad and stupid and people can't even make their own decisions on the matter because of how many years now of small minded people attempting to deter people from making their own minds up about The Beach Boys and who's the genius and who's not, and such merda! Cry
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

It wouldn't even look like A BB reunion, Brian and Mike would be sharing lead and somebody else would be singing falsetto.

Things are perfect as they are, but as I said a few pages back, I really wanna see all the guys talking again.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »

Yes, it is subjective. I think I like about 95-99% of the songs that have a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. But, why don't you try it or think about it. Look at the entire list of songs and see if your favorable percentage isn't in the 95-99% category.

Something of a grandiose statement but one that got me thinking ... so I put it to the test ... an objective subjective test so to speak:

TEST #1:  My 7 favourite Beach Boy recordings: Don’t Worry Baby/Marcella/I Can Hear Music/God Only Knows/Surf’s Up/This Whole World/Forever. Not one Mike love writing credit. Test = FAIL

TEST #2: My compilation CD of 28 songs (best of the best) which I play around the house, in the car, etc.: I’ll save you the list and just summarise the writing credits.

B Wilson:   17.9%
B Wilson/Love:   28.6%
BW/Christian:   3.6%
BW/Asher:   10.7%
BW/Parks:   10.7%
BW/Other:   14.1%
Love/Other:   3.6%
D Wilson:   3.6%
C Wilson:   3.6%
Cover:      3.6%

Total B Wilson credits:   85.6%
Total M Love credits:   32.2%

Totally a personal opinion but pretty well sums up why i don’t rate Mike’s contribution to the band that highly especially considering some contributions may have been of a minor nature compared to the bulk of the composition and why I’m not particularly fussed one way or another about a reunion. I’m pretty happy with the Brian Wilson status quo. None the less an interesting exercise.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »

I'm not gonna mess with percenteges, but here's another guy's personal opinion.

Here are my top 10 fave Beach Boys songs/recordings

1. Cool Cool Water
2. The Warmth Of The Sun
3. Forever
4. All I Wanna Do (Sunflower)
5. In My Room
6. Fun Fun Fun (yes, seriously)
7. California Girls
8. Trader
9. Kiss Me Baby
10. Good Vibrations

7 out of the 10 involve Mike.....

Just another opinion
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2009, 04:48:20 PM »

I don't want to see a reunion because it would be for all the wrong reasons.

Not if the five surviving Beach Boys truly want to work or perform with each other. Look at the proposed lineup - Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David. With the exception of the recent problem between Mike and Al (and I don't want to minimize it; it was/is serious), all of those guys got along with each other within the group. Really, they all seem to like each other within The Beach Boys' scope. They have a history, they made history, sharing things that not many groups could ever share. In some ways, they remain brothers, cousins, and friends. I'd like to think any of them would come to the aid of another if ever needed.

And, there is one important thing missing from a proposed reunion - drugs. Do you realize what havoc that one issue caused within the group? I know, that question wasn't necessary....But, drugs affected Brian's productivity, performance, and attitude; ditto for Dennis. Drugs divided the group and was the single most detrimental reason for the problems in the 70's and 80's. Most of the negativity that we view within the group - that could also influence one's opinion for a reunion - can be traced back to drugs, prescribed or unprescribed.

But, thankfully, the drugs are a thing of the past. And, I have to believe the guys are older and wiser. Isn't it possible or even probable that they learned from their mistakes, and would go out of their way to make sure those bad things don't happen again? Could history repeat itself? Of course, it would be naive to think that everything would be smooth sailing. But, taking drugs out of the equation at least gives them a much better chance at success....

Great point Sheriff!!!

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

Thank you Carrie for clearing things up a bit.

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

Yes, it is subjective. I think I like about 95-99% of the songs that have a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. But, why don't you try it or think about it. Look at the entire list of songs and see if your favorable percentage isn't in the 95-99% category.

Something of a grandiose statement but one that got me thinking ... so I put it to the test ... an objective subjective test so to speak:

TEST #1:  My 7 favourite Beach Boy recordings: Don’t Worry Baby/Marcella/I Can Hear Music/God Only Knows/Surf’s Up/This Whole World/Forever. Not one Mike love writing credit. Test = FAIL

TEST #2: My compilation CD of 28 songs (best of the best) which I play around the house, in the car, etc.: I’ll save you the list and just summarise the writing credits.

B Wilson:   17.9%
B Wilson/Love:   28.6%
BW/Christian:   3.6%
BW/Asher:   10.7%
BW/Parks:   10.7%
BW/Other:   14.1%
Love/Other:   3.6%
D Wilson:   3.6%
C Wilson:   3.6%
Cover:      3.6%

Total B Wilson credits:   85.6%
Total M Love credits:   32.2%

Totally a personal opinion but pretty well sums up why i don’t rate Mike’s contribution to the band that highly especially considering some contributions may have been of a minor nature compared to the bulk of the composition and why I’m not particularly fussed one way or another about a reunion. I’m pretty happy with the Brian Wilson status quo. None the less an interesting exercise.

Interesting personal perspective, but it has nothing to do with my post/statement/percentages. I didn't say that the B.Wilson/M.Love songs were the best. I didn't opine how they compared with other collaborations. And I didn't inform that they largely comprise the songs on my personal "best of" comp.

What I simply said was that I LIKE 'em. A very large percentage of them. Almost all of them. I was trying to make the point that, for the most part, when Brian and Mike worked together, something good usually came out of it. So, I'll ask again....Look at the entire list of B.Wilson/M.Love songs, and see if you do (or do not) like a large majority of them. I personally find very few that I don't like.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »

We don't need a Beach Boys reunion.  And if you really think about it, you don't want one.

You talking to me?

"You" as in the general public...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »

Eddie Van Halen swore they'd never, ever do anything again with David Lee Roth.  Never say never in the music business.  If the right deal comes along, they'll do it.

Earlier this year, Wes Borland said that he definately wouldn't rejoin Limp Bizkit for their reunion tour and called his former band's music "random lyrics on top of music that sounds cool" and said that it "didn't make sense". Two weeks later he rejoined the band.

How many times has it been said that Roger Waters would never go on stage with Pink Floyd again? Or that Blink-182 would never reunite? Didn't Don Henley say that The Eagles would play together again "when hell freezes over"?

Things like that happen all the time.

In all honesty it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the surviving members "reunited" in some fashion.  But I'm not all that interested in seeing it happen.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2009, 06:08:29 PM »

What I simply said was that I LIKE 'em. A very large percentage of them. Almost all of them. I was trying to make the point that, for the most part, when Brian and Mike worked together, something good usually came out of it. So, I'll ask again....Look at the entire list of B.Wilson/M.Love songs, and see if you do (or do not) like a large majority of them. I personally find very few that I don't like.

I had to filter through a list of songs so forgive me if I missed some but here is at least the majority of songs released that are credited to B. Wilson/M. Love:

"A Thing Or Two"
"All I Wanna Do"
"All Summer Long"
"Amusement Parks USA"
"And Your Dream Comes True"
"Anna Lee, The Healer"
"Aren't You Glad"
"Be True To Your School"
"California Girls"
"Catch A Wave"
"Cool, Cool Water"
"Country Air"
"Darlin'"
"Do It Again"
"Do You Remember?"
"Don't Back Down"
"Don't Hurt My Little Sister"
"Drive-In"
"Farmer's Daughter"
"Finders Keepers"
"Fun, Fun, Fun"
"Gettin' Hungry"
"The Girl From New York City"
"Goin' On"
"Good To My Baby"
"Good Vibrations"
"Hawaii"
"Help Me, Rhonda"
"Here Comes The Night"
"Kiss Me, Baby"
"Let The Wind Blow"
"Little Honda"
"Noble Surfer"
"Oh Darlin'"
"Our Car Club"
"Please Let Me Wonder"
"Run-Around Lover"
"Salt Lake City"
"Santa's Beard"
"She Knows Me Too Well"
"The Shift"
"Some Of Your Love"
"Story Of My Life"
"Sunshine"
"Surfers Rule"
"Surfin'"
"Surfin' Safari"
"Sweet Sunday Kinda Love"
"That Same Song"
"Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby"
"This Car Of Mine"
"The Warmth Of The Sun"
"Wendy"
"When Girls Get Together"
"When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)"
"Wild Honey"
"Wontcha Come Out Tonight?"
"You're So Good To Me"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:17:45 PM by mikeyj » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2009, 08:10:10 PM »

I had to filter through a list of songs so forgive me if I missed some but here is at least the majority of songs released that are credited to B. Wilson/M. Love:

"A Thing Or Two"
"All I Wanna Do"
"All Summer Long"
"Amusement Parks USA"
"And Your Dream Comes True"
"Anna Lee, The Healer"
"Aren't You Glad"
"Be True To Your School"
"California Girls"
"Catch A Wave"
"Cool, Cool Water"
"Country Air"
"Darlin'"
"Do It Again"
"Do You Remember?"
"Don't Back Down"
"Don't Hurt My Little Sister"
"Drive-In"
"Farmer's Daughter"
"Finders Keepers"
"Fun, Fun, Fun"
"Gettin' Hungry"
"The Girl From New York City"
"Goin' On"
"Good To My Baby"
"Good Vibrations"
"Hawaii"
"Help Me, Rhonda"
"Here Comes The Night"
"Kiss Me, Baby"
"Let The Wind Blow"
"Little Honda"
"Noble Surfer"
"Oh Darlin'"
"Our Car Club"
"Please Let Me Wonder"
"Run-Around Lover"
"Salt Lake City"
"Santa's Beard"
"She Knows Me Too Well"
"The Shift"
"Some Of Your Love"
"Story Of My Life"
"Sunshine"
"Surfers Rule"
"Surfin'"
"Surfin' Safari"
"Sweet Sunday Kinda Love"
"That Same Song"
"Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby"
"This Car Of Mine"
"The Warmth Of The Sun"
"Wendy"
"When Girls Get Together"
"When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)"
"Wild Honey"
"Wontcha Come Out Tonight?"
"You're So Good To Me"

mikeyj, thanks for taking the time to look up and post those songs. That list makes my point better than I ever could.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »

Yeah, and let's not forget, pretty much 99% of the whole Wild Honey album was written by Brian with Mike. Most people seem to love Wild Honey and it even gets good marks outside of Beach Boys onsessed circles.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx