-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  A great week for buying vinyl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A great week for buying vinyl  (Read 14486 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »

went down to a friend's in Bloomington Indiana and decided to stop by Tracks vinyl and Landlock music stores....in Tracks, I found a copy of Holland with lyrics sheet and Mt. Vernon and Fairway!!!! Ep and sleeve included for 7$...Randomly found Carl's Youngblookd album, very unexpected for 10$.....and then bought an in the wrap copy of Hi, How are You? by Daniel Johnston for 13$...pretty pumped about this

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »

Cool vinyl shopping is always fun.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »

especially when you find "rarities"...mostly late 60s to 70s BB stuff...I did find a copy of Surf's Up with lyric sheet, but i was short on cash & it was not in a favored condition, and I usually accept anything.

and I did see a Surfin' Safari album.......but it was a re-release

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »

especially when you find "rarities"...mostly late 60s to 70s BB stuff...I did find a copy of Surf's Up with lyric sheet, but i was short on cash & it was not in a favored condition, and I usually accept anything.

and I did see a Surfin' Safari album.......but it was a re-release
I fiinally found the late 70's Anaheim '76 boot. It's the 1976 special along with a couple of Shindig performances. It's really rare and I paid a lot for it. Still I am glad to have it, and it does play different without the visuals.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »

nice! good cover?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »

Well the cover isn't all that great. Most 70's boots had lousy paste on covers. By the 80's many of them looked really good.
SG7
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

I found a load of BB 45s this week and some awesome CDs. So I am pretty happy myself Smiley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »

picked up gerswhin's american in paris/rhapsody in blue in the dollar bin at easy street a couple weeks ago

also got the cap n tennille's love will keep us together...again in the dollar bin

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »

also got the cap n tennille's love will keep us together...again in the dollar bin

ah, with Cuddle Up, Disney Girls, God Only Knows, and I Write The Songs on it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »

you got it! perfect condition too...for a dollar!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »

Yeah, i've got that one too...that album's not mentioned much in the BB-related world...You'd think they'd cover more Denny's tunes with Darryl and Denny bein buds...but Cuddle Up is good enough i reckon

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »

I picked a cassette tape of VDP's Song Cycle for a buck a while back.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:29:59 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »

Nice! I've never seen any products in my neck of the woods (Indiana) for Van Dyke Parks....I had to specially order Orange Crate Art.

Oh, and I did find a vinyl copy of the Popeye soundtrack besides that

~post of the century~
-Mikie

SG7
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

I JUST found Tokyo Rose on CD today at a used CD store. I almost fainted  LOL
Jason
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »

I've been making discoveries all over the place...

Where to begin? Smiley

The Doors, $25
John Wesley Harding, $8
Nashville Skyline, $7
Blood On The Tracks $6
Tea For The Tillerman, $10
Autobahn, $10
What'd I Say, $10
Band of Gypsys, $18
Nefertiti, $18

And some BB-related stuff...

Still Cruisin', $2.50 (MINT!)
Today! mono, $10
Surfin' USA '63 mono, $10
Surfin' Safari '62 mono, $10
Live In London German version, $25
Do It Again/Wake The World, $2.50
Susie Cincinnati/Everyone's In Love With You, $1
It's OK double sided mono/stereo promo, $1
Rock And Roll Music/TM Song, $1
Sail On Sailor/Only With You, $1
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »

NICE

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »

I saw vinyl at a Barnes and Noble today. I was overjoyed! Back when I was a kid in the eighties all book stores and gorcery's and department stores had records. It was such a great thing I bought a Johnny Casl Hits LP.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:05:33 PM »

This past weekend I picked up almost 40 records at a lawn sale for $20. Grin Grin Got some good stuff, first Doors album, Dark Side of the Moon, Band on the Run, a couple Stevie Wonder albums, 3-disc Supremes compilation, ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, a 4-disc Columbia Records 50s and 60s hits comp, Elton John's Caribou ,Chicago II, VI, and VII, Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic, a couple of early 70s Bee Gees hits comps, and a ton of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head...   ...But sadly, no BB records. Sad Sad

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »

This past weekend I picked up almost 40 records at a lawn sale for $20. Grin Grin Got some good stuff, first Doors album, Dark Side of the Moon, Band on the Run, a couple Stevie Wonder albums, 3-disc Supremes compilation, ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, a 4-disc Columbia Records 50s and 60s hits comp, Elton John's Caribou ,Chicago II, VI, and VII, Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic, a couple of early 70s Bee Gees hits comps, and a ton of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head...   ...But sadly, no BB records. Sad Sad

I have the Supremes one, the Doors, and Band On The Run. All are very good.
Jason
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »

Today was indeed a great day for buying vinyl - over $300 got me these at the local record store.

Ten Years of Harmony, $5
Youngblood, $25, mint and unopened
4 By The Beach Boys, $5
Fun Fun Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love, $2
I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby, $2
Do You Wanna Dance?/Please Let Me Wonder w/pic sleeve, $5
Barbara Ann/Girl Don't Tell Me, $2
Friends/Little Bird radio promo, $2
Little Saint Nick/The Lord's Prayer, $2
Wouldn't It Be Nice/Sloop John B 1972 Reprise reissue, $2
Be True To Your School/In My Room, $2
Wouldn't It Be Nice/God Only Knows, $2
Darlin'/Here Today w/pic sleeve, $5
Caroline No/Summer Means New Love, $10
Help Me Rhonda/Kiss Me Baby, $2
The Little Girl I Once Knew/There's No Other (Like My Baby), $2
Getcha Back/Male Ego, $2
Getcha Back double-sided promo, $2
Rock 'n Roll To The Rescue/Good Vibrations (Live in London), $2
Surfin' USA/The Warmth of the Sun 1974 Capitol reissue, $2
Come Go With Me/Don't Go Near The Water, $2
It's OK/Had To Phone Ya, $2
Good Timin'/Love Surrounds Me, $3
Add Some Music To Your Day/Susie Cincinnati, $5
Long Promised Road/Deirdre, $15, mint
Bluebirds Over The Mountain/Never Learn Not To Love, $4
Breakaway/Celebrate the News, $5
Wild Honey/Wind Chimes radio promo, $15
Wild Honey/Wind Chimes, $4
Surfin' USA/Shut Down mid-1970s beige Starline, $2
Be True To Your School/In My Room late 1970s beige Starline, $2
Sloop John B/You're So Good To Me mid-1980s blue Starline, $2
Little Saint Nick/The Lord's Prayer mid-1980s blue Starline, $2
Surfin' Safari/409 late 1980s purple Starline, $2
Fun Fun Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love late 1980s purple Starline, $2
Beach Boys Medley/God Only Knows, $4
California Girls/Let Him Run Wild late 1980s purple Starline, $2
Help Me Rhonda/Do You Wanna Dance? late 1970s beige Starline, $2
Surfin' Safari/409 mid-1980s blue Starline, $2
California Dreamin'/Lady Liberty, $2
Dance Dance Dance/The Warmth of the Sun mid-1980s blue Starline, $2
Fun Fun Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love mid-1980s blue Starline, $2
Surfer Girl/Little Deuce Coupe mid-1980s blue Starline, $2
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)/She Knows Me Too Well, $2
Come Go With Me double-sided radio promo, $3
Goin' On double-sided radio promo, $3
I Can Hear Music/All I Want To Do, $3
What You Do To Me/Time, $3
Mona/Rock and Roll Music/Sail On Sailor/Marcella EP w/pic sleeve, $5
She Believes In Love Again double-sided radio promo, $2
Slip On Through/This Whole World radio promo, $10
Peggy Sue mono/stereo promo, $4
Heroes and Villains/You're Welcome, $5
Surfin' USA/Shut Down late 1980s rainbow Starline, $2
Gettin' Hungry/Devoted to You, $20

The thread about Starlines piqued my interest as you can see. LOL
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:55:44 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
MBE
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »

A cool 45 collection to be sure!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 07:20:03 AM »

Today was indeed a great day for buying vinyl - over $300 got me these at the local record store.
The thread about Starlines piqued my interest as you can see. LOL

You know... I do have a few of these already, but if every 45 overthere would cost me $2-5 then I would easily sprend $300 too...

Now where's that store exactly?  Roll Eyes

Fun to see the Starline-virus starts to infect others as well...  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »

€25,- ...

Jason
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 10:28:31 AM »

One note about that boot, Klaas...that's actually the first half of the November 1971 Princeton show. Good old 70s bootlegs with their misinformation. Smiley
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »

I have that also.
I got a copy from
Wayne Roger's Records
Found in the back
of Rolling Stone.
My copy is on
The Wizardo
label.