gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 05:29:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Many Moods Of Murry Wsslon  (Read 4311 times)
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:35:08 AM »

From Collector's Choice Muisc, It is coming in as an import for 13.98. Any takers? ;-) Here is the link:

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=RRY913932
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:51:51 AM »

From Collector's Choice Muisc, It is coming in as an import for 13.98. Any takers? ;-) Here is the link:

Is this the same as the Cherry Red needle-drop release, or is this from the digi remaster released in Japan?

“We live in divisive times.”
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:03:29 AM »

Is this the same as the Cherry Red needle-drop release, or is this from the digi remaster released in Japan?

It's the Cherry Red needle-drop.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:12:16 AM »

Thanks for that... a shame as the Japanese version seems to be out-of-print already.   Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »

Thanks for that... a shame as the Japanese version seems to be out-of-print already.   Sad

Actually U.S. Amazon is showing it as in stock - for $35.

But yeah, it's probably not being produced anymore (gotta grab those Japanese pressings while you can).

I noticed sometime last year that Ricci Martin's "Beached" LP had been issued as a limited edition CD in Japan back in 2006 and that one guy was selling one on Amazon for something like $237.  Figuring that that was a little pricey even for an album as good as "Beached" is, i scoured the net to see if there were any copies out there at the original price.  I found one - from CD Japan - which came to about $26 including shipping to the U.S.

So if you're lucky you can find some of these rare Japanese pressings for a reasonable price.

But probably not the Carl Wilsons.   Undecided
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:31:31 AM by JeffRetro » Logged
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »

OK, excuse my stupididty, but what is the "Cherry Red needle-drop" version?
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »

OK, excuse my stupididty, but what is the "Cherry Red needle-drop" version?

This is the recently-released CD of this album by Cherry Red Records in the UK.  It's a needle-drop, i.e. it's been mastered from an original vinyl LP.

There's an issue of the album from Japan from about 2002/2003 that was made from an actual master tape; it remains the best-sounding CD of the album.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »

From ... Any takers? ...

Not me.  I'm waiting for the deluxe, 3-CD, remastered with bonus tracks, box-set that's coming in November.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

I had assumed that the recently released iTunes version is from the original master tapes.  Is that the case, or is it possible that it's a needle drop?
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »

I had assumed that the recently released iTunes version is from the original master tapes.  Is that the case, or is it possible that it's a needle drop?

I just looked on U.S. Amazon (who also has the mp3 version available), and it's listed as being from Caroline World Service Catalog, which I believe is part of EMI.  The clips sound great, so i'm guessing the download version of the LP is from tape.

Some of the UK reissue labels (like Cherry Red and Rev-Ola) have routinely used vinyl when the masters aren't (easily) available or the cost of acquiring them might be more than the label wants to invest (cheaper to go off vinyl).  For example, the Peppermint Rainbow's "Will You Be Staying After Sunday" LP was reissued in the U.S. by Collector's Choice and the U.K. by Rev-Ola.  The Collector's Choice version is from tape and sounds fine.  The Rev-Ola version is very obviously from vinyl and sounds atrocious.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 11:45:40 PM »

Actually U.S. Amazon is showing it as in stock - for $35.

But yeah, it's probably not being produced anymore (gotta grab those Japanese pressings while you can).

I noticed sometime last year that Ricci Martin's "Beached" LP had been issued as a limited edition CD in Japan back in 2006 and that one guy was selling one on Amazon for something like $237.  Figuring that that was a little pricey even for an album as good as "Beached" is, i scoured the net to see if there were any copies out there at the original price.  I found one - from CD Japan - which came to about $26 including shipping to the U.S.

So if you're lucky you can find some of these rare Japanese pressings for a reasonable price.

But probably not the Carl Wilsons.   Undecided

I have the original Ricci Martin LP in excellent condition. Got it 2nd hand once for around $2.50. Is this item valuable?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:47:08 AM »

Not me.  I'm waiting for the deluxe, 3-CD, remastered with bonus tracks, box-set that's coming in November.

Shocked Wow! wil this include the HUGE International smash hit.. "Two Step Side Step"? LOLOL
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 06:17:12 AM »

I have the original Ricci Martin LP in excellent condition. Got it 2nd hand once for around $2.50. Is this item valuable?

A lot of clean copies of "Beached" seem to have made their way onto the second hand market over the years, so it's not as expensive a record as it once was (back in the 80's/90's it was a $30-40 album IIRC, but you could always find cheaper copies if you looked).  There are currently several new and mint condition copies on musicstack for $10-15, but as in your case you can find it cheaper.

And if you haven't heard this album and you're a fan of Carl, you need to hear it as he's all over it (and produced it as well at Brother Studios).  And Dennis drums on a couple tracks.  Excellent album!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:31:09 AM »

A lot of clean copies of "Beached" seem to have made their way onto the second hand market over the years, so it's not as expensive a record as it once was (back in the 80's/90's it was a $30-40 album IIRC, but you could always find cheaper copies if you looked).  There are currently several new and mint condition copies on musicstack for $10-15, but as in your case you can find it cheaper.

And if you haven't heard this album and you're a fan of Carl, you need to hear it as he's all over it (and produced it as well at Brother Studios).  And Dennis drums on a couple tracks.  Excellent album!

Cheers for that. And I agree, it is a lovely album. Great production, and it is unpretentious in the best sense of the word. Pure pop.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 05:44:28 AM »

Shocked Wow! wil this include the HUGE International smash hit.. "Two Step Side Step"? LOLOL

Of course!  And an illustrated instruction booklet so you can learn to do the corresponding dance-moves.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »

Of course!  And an illustrated instruction booklet so you can learn to do the corresponding dance-moves.
Banana That is how it goes. I am sure of it now. LOLOL
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:13 AM »

Will the (in)famous 'Murry Mix' be on it?

SG7
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 08:10:31 AM »

Could make a remix dance album and call it "Yes, I'm a Genius"

LOL LOL
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »

Could make a remix dance album and call it "Yes, I'm a Genius"

LOL LOL

Haha... and on it should be samples of R.D. Berman's Bollywood cover of 'Help Me Rhonda' (titled Mekki Mekki Chicken Tandoori, or something...)

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:51:08 AM »

How much is a mono LP of TMMOMW worth these days?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »

You know, this album isn't as bad as you'd expect. How much of the production work and arranging did Murry handle? If he was significantly in control of those elements, then he had more talent than I thought. Some of Murry's own compositions wouldn't have been bad at all if he would've a jazzy lounge singer to sing the melody lines instead of the clunky, somewhat ugly sounding renditions he does of the melodies on a piano. I enjoy the takes he does (mostly) on other people's songs. That plumber sure could write a chipper tune, he was definitely a genius in his own right.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 10:21:26 AM »

You know, this album isn't as bad as you'd expect. How much of the production work and arranging did Murry handle? If he was significantly in control of those elements, then he had more talent than I thought. Some of Murry's own compositions wouldn't have been bad at all if he would've a jazzy lounge singer to sing the melody lines instead of the clunky, somewhat ugly sounding renditions he does of the melodies on a piano. I enjoy the takes he does (mostly) on other people's songs. That plumber sure could write a chipper tune, he was definitely a genius in his own right.

According to the credits Don Ralke did the arranging, and of course an uncredited Brian produced Alan's instrumental.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »

Isn't the so-called "Murry Directs Brian at the Organ" track on the Garage Tapes CD supposedly from a session for Many Moods?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx