gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681484 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 06:36:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Get Down never heard with Murray Saul and Dennis Wilson  (Read 4878 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:47:26 AM »

Anyone ever heard of this??

http://buzzardbook.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/282/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:24:40 AM »

Never -  I guess Jon S is the guy who might be able to shed any light.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

I can confirm that the footage survives, and that I've seen it and its probably the most amazing DW footage I've ever seen, but I'm not at liberty to reveal who has the lone copy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »

I can confirm that the footage survives, and that I've seen it and its probably the most amazing DW footage I've ever seen, but I'm not at liberty to reveal who has the lone copy.

Thanks Jon !
Can you tell us what you can see on the footage and how long it is?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »

this must have taken place 1-13-77
You know even a year earlier I couldn't see Dennis acting quite like this. Please tell us the rest of what happened?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

what exactly is the get down?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »

Dennis looks absolutely great in this footage, physically he's in excellent shape...and he doesn't come off as drunk as I remember it, but yes he's drinking. Something about Murray Saul's rap(the get down) and demeanor, voice, whatever, trips a switch inside DW's psyche. He reminds him of his dad. Total emotional meltdown ensues. This footage is maybe the best evidence of how messed up Dennis really was. It vividly illustrates his deep deep emotional pain. There's nothing else like it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »

"and that's where things went terribly wrong". Where can I get the rest of the story? It gives a link to get more details, but the link is dead.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »

Jay I think the rest must be in the Buzzard book. I haven't read it but Jon gives us a good idea. Poor guy. Murray had the same name so maybe that is it. He was also around 50 then so he was older etc.  I am a little too young to remember these "get down" things though I remember how big WMMS was. I was in Cleveland from when I was born in 1976 until mid 1989. I am surprised I never heard of this before, it seems to be an early sign of the hard times to follow.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »

You know, I'm kind of torn on whether I'd ever want something like this to be bootlegged or released officially. The hardcore fan in me is glad it has survived, but there are just some things that should always be private, you know what I mean? What do you think? I'm not even sure if I'd want to see it if I were ever given the chance.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »

Basically I feel that all of us here would probably get something out of it. For people that don't study his career, who aren't truly interested in what made him tick...it's really hard to say. If this film was part of a sober no holds bared documentary I think it could be something important. At the same time if it was first seen by being leaked onto youtube I think it would be in bad taste.

An American Band has some heartbreaking footage and it was pretty effective there. I have said this before but that 1983 footage scared me when I saw it at age 12. I think it really kept me from getting into the drug scene. 

Having said all this, the Beach Boys do deserve some private moments. Landy filmed Brian almost daily, does it mean we should see it? This is a tangled web of a story and I want to figure it out as much as anyone, but where is the line you don't cross?
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:33:36 PM »

I'm not familiar with the dark side of Dennis, just saw him come drunk to some concerts.  What's that all about, if someone would care to share some of the Dennis story. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »

John, what happened exactly?

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »

Apparently these are examples of "get downs"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9cy-DZkSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtkPIG3xP7Q

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »

Wtf... If I had this weirdo screaming this stuff in my face, I'd have a meltdown too.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:04 AM »

Wtf... If I had this weirdo screaming this stuff in my face, I'd have a meltdown too.  Smiley

Well, to be honest, his voice reminds me of when Brian tries to imitate Murry. Maybe Dennis was reminded of his childhood by this as well as, as someone already posted, by the sheer name

- Jack Rieley
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »

Dennis looks absolutely great in this footage, physically he's in excellent shape...and he doesn't come off as drunk as I remember it, but yes he's drinking. Something about Murray Saul's rap(the get down) and demeanor, voice, whatever, trips a switch inside DW's psyche. He reminds him of his dad. Total emotional meltdown ensues. This footage is maybe the best evidence of how messed up Dennis really was. It vividly illustrates his deep deep emotional pain. There's nothing else like it.

Jon, would you say that Dennis's deep emotional pain leading to the meltdown is related to this observation you made in another thread?

I did say that Dennis was seriously "dosed" twice...the practice of having acid slipped into your food or drink without knowing it, or wanting it...and these were huge doses and they really messed him up for years. Dennis experimented with acid a bit on his own before that, but never after. If Ed Roach is around he can supply the details regarding Dennis and bad acid trips and the resulting paranoia.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:39:02 PM »

As I said above, he reminded him of his father. That's all it had to do with.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx