gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 09:01:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What About Elvis Costello?  (Read 4848 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:58:14 AM »

In the beginning I was a huge fan (from 'This Year's Model', that is, I never liked the mundane sound of his first album, and he did not have the Attractions then). I followed him until around 1990, and then I 'lost him'. For me, he became repetitive, clinging to his usual stories about unhappiness and neuroses, as if he had trouble getting older himself (I mean: most artists 'mellow' a bit and sound wiser).

My favourite album, after all these years, is 'King Of America'. It is also, IMHO, his most mature album. Oddly enough, as far as I know, he was drinking very heavily then, and allegedly he wrote 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' as a response to this condition and also as a cry for understanding. Could be he was addressing his then wife, Cait O'Riordan (of the Pogues). Could be that he apologized in a veiled way for that nasty Ray Charles-bar room incident, where he dared Delaney and Bonnie, also in a fit of alcohol abuse.

At any rate, this album, with James Burton and other sidekicks of that other Elvis, is ace.

What do you think?

(Oh, and 'The Other Side Of Summer' is tops, of course.)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:35:24 AM »

great artist, liked him from the start (Stiff/Radar/F-Beat period) and halfway through his WB years, then I lost track. His Bacharach collaboration was great stuff, too. After that I only know "North" which has its moments.
By the way he covered "God only Knows" with the Brodsky Quartett on a promo only CD (Live at the New York Town Hall (Warner PRO 6480).

Watson, did you hear this?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »

I was a huge fan ten years ago, but I seem to have distanced myself from his music lately. It's not terrible, but I just find myself not paying attention. I have all his albums up to Mighty Like a Rose, which is pretty good.

I like King of America a lot too, but mainly I just love the sound of it(though the songs are great too.) I'm planning to osmeday acquire the rest of his albums, but just can't get around to finding them on the internet and illegally downloading...so much music, so little time.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »

I guess I could say I like Costello in passing. I love Alison and Radio Radio, but haven't really gotten any deeper into the catalog than the hits.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »

King Of America is also my favorite.

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is a  cover.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »

Never gave him the time of day until maybe five years ago. Before that, I recognized him as the nerd-looking guy who wasn't Buddy Holly and knew Alison, maybe. Now I really like the first couple albums, LOVE the Delivery Man, and like plenty of stuff in between.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

New album coming out this spring.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »

Elvis isn't in my top ten but I saw him and Dylan in 2007 and it was one of my favorite shows I've seen in the 21st century. I like most of his stuff from 70s, 80s haven't heard much from the nineties. I can still remember the first time I heard "Trust," just knocked me right out...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »

In my opinion (although people will disagree) you can skip plenty of his 90s stuff. But really, do yourself a favor and look into The Delivery Man and River In Reverse. Maybe North, too.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 06:28:03 AM »

King Of America is also my favorite.

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is a  cover.

LOL My God... I knew that and yet I wrote that he wrote it in response to his condition...

I must shortcut my drinking... Embarrassed

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »

While "This Year's Model" through "Imperial Bedroom" is his most consistent period, he's never stopped producing excellent material although there are the usual spotty albums or genre releases ("Painted From Memory", "North") that I don't care for. "Mighty Like a Rose" and "Brutal Youth" are two superb albums from the 90s and his latest, "Momofuku", is very strong and vibrant.

I have to disagree with the initial post in that I've never gotten the impression that Costello just recycled his old ideas and refused to grow up. There is a natural progression in viewpoint and maturity of thought that one finds in Dylan, Simon and others.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »

i HAVE UP TO MIGHTY like a rose. I think it's very good, which is strange because most of the reviews I have read slam it.

Spike also underrated...

Will have to get on the nineties stuff.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »

I don't think Momofuku is strong at all. It has some moments, but I think its inferior to its two (maybe four) predecessors. Not bad, by any means. But in relative terms, not all that great. Based on the descriptions of the forthcoming album, I expect to like this one much more than I did that.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 02:45:26 AM »

I don't think Momofuku is strong at all. It has some moments, but I think its inferior to its two (maybe four) predecessors. Not bad, by any means. But in relative terms, not all that great. Based on the descriptions of the forthcoming album, I expect to like this one much more than I did that.

So... the new one will all be about lager and crisps then, Luther?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »

Lager is delicious.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »

Lager is delicious.

I agree. I am into German  lager bigtime. Veltins, Krombach... lovely stuff.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx