gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:04:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Online documentary about "Holland"  (Read 12097 times)
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »

Hey guys, yesterday the Dutch public tv showed a new documentary about The Beach Boys Holland album and the band's time in the Netherlands. It features new interviews with, among them, Jack Rielly and Blondie Chaplin and is really interesting! Check it out at: http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=8924011 Cheers! Yorick
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »

very cool...too bad I dont speak Dutch.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »

...and Carl, too.  Very nice stuff.  How's about an English transcription, anyone?

Oh, and it seems Blondie's been spending way too much time with the Stones...he's starting to sound like Keith!  Wink
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »

That was really cool...cheers for the link

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:31:50 AM »

Het was prima!

Am I alone in desiring a 90-minute documentary on 'Holland', and showing a lot more of those home-movies and playing some outtakes or demos? I feel this story still hasn't been fully explored.

I really like Jack Reiley too. Shame he did stay on in Holland.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:55:49 AM »

I just read on the BBB that Billy Hinsche was asked to help out on this docu. Apparently he delivered the live footage that can be seen. Very nice gesture from him I'd say.

...and Carl, too.  Very nice stuff.  How's about an English transcription, anyone?

I'd like to give it a try. But it will take some time. I'll give it some time the next few days (or weeks).

Am I alone in desiring a 90-minute documentary on 'Holland', and showing a lot more of those home-movies and playing some outtakes or demos? I feel this story still hasn't been fully explored.

I really like Jack Reiley too. Shame he did stay on in Holland.

I'm affraid there simply isn't much more. Otherwise we would've seen it. Maybe the boys themselves have some stuff archived but as they didn't co-operate (save a few snippets from a 1983 Dutch Carl-interview), that track run dead as well.

And was it that bad that Rielley stayed in Holland (and was fired)? He did make a nice album with Machiel Botman called Western Justice.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »

How's about an English transcription, anyone?

3 hours of my life....    Tongue

Time should correspond with what you see on screen.
When the guys start talking English I simply wrote down the first and last words of that fragment. Otherwise it's the complete translation. If someone want to add the English spoken parts, be my guest. But the Dutch spoken parts are all translated.

Btw, it is possible to download this docu (I was able to do so with Real Player). In case someone wants to as well...

Transcript Dutch TV broadcast “Andere Tijden”, episode “The Beach Boys in the Polder”, February 19th 2009

Presented by Hans Goedkoop
Research: Hannah Dogger, Rens Oving
Montage & direction: Femke Veltman

Interviews with:
Rijk Vlaanderen – Cycle shop-owner, Hilversum / neighbour Carl Wilson
Jeroen Helms – Car salesman
Jack Rieley – Manager The Beach Boys 1970-1973
Blondie Chaplin – Beach Boy 1971-1973
Don Willard – Sound technician studio Baambrugge

Literature
Peter Ames Carlin, Catch a wave. The rise, fall & redemption of The
Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson, New York, 2006.
Steven Gaines, Heroes and Villains. The true story of The Beach Boys, Londen, 1986.
Job Twisk, The Beach Boys, in Oor, November, 1997.
Shelley Benoit, Holland: The making of an album, in: Back to the beach. A Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys reader, Londen, 1997

Translation:
0:00
For “Andere Tijden” we go to the building of the Dutch Institute for audio and video.
Hans Goedkoop: In the 60ies the BB sang about sun, sea and surfing along the coast of California. But in the early 70ies they made an unexpected move. The album Holland, recorded in… indeed… and we’re going to talk about that incredible trip this evening. On how the group moved from that hectic Los Angeles to that small studio between the Dutch cows. Taking along with them their equipment, women, children, staff, and lots more. The Beach Boys in Baambrugge.

0:37: <intro “Andere Tijden” >
1:00: < I Get Around clip >
HG: And that was the first U.S. nr. 1 hit of the BB – good evening – I Get Around, 1964, with at about all the elements that made them famous: fast cars, impressing girls, striped shirts, top-notch refrains, Good Vibrations. And to be honest, a completely blank image of happiness. A couple a years later that didn’t appear to be enough for the boys, the 3 brothers Wilson, a nephew, and a high school-friend. Actually they weren’t surf-dudes at all. Actually they’d had a bad childhood. Above all they were brilliant musicians (?!) and composers, Brian Wilson ahead of them. And they showed that more and more. After 1966 they were competing with the Beatles as the worlds most innovative studio band. But, they higher their ambition became, the less their music sold. And also personally they fared middling. Drugs of course, and along with that Brian’s paranoid delusions, and some other things On stage let himself being replaced, and he locked himself up in the studio. And the band struggled on through the late 60ies and early 70ies. The good vibrations were long gone. It became obvious to them that something had to happen, something drastic, away from Los Angeles, new impulses. And with that in mind in the early summer of 1972 they arrived between the meadows of Baambrugge.
2:50: Blondie Chaplin: This is so different from Los Angeles <…> Looking Around in Holland.
3:19: Jack Rieley: I thought, hey this will be really simple. I’ll get a hold of a real estate agent, or something like that. And I’ll tell them we need a house “aan een gracht”, on a canal in Amsterdam for each of the members of the Beach Boys, and we need some cars and that’ll be it, I thought.
3:45: Rijk van Vlaanderen: “Dear Rijk, thank you for your, thank you for you and your family for help in everything. Carl Wilson”.
3:56: clip Little Honda
4:11: Don Willard: They were sort of idols at the time of course, because they had great songs. I still find their harmonies and compositions brilliant, I have to say. (Sloop John B.) I know, their first albums were surfing records. (Surfin’)
4:57: JR: Very quickly it became all about <…> for that matter. (Surfin’ USA) Seems to me <…> striped matching clothes are gone! (I Get Around)
6:02: Carl Wilson: But Jack Rieley’s contribution to <…> the things we were doing.
6:30: DW: At the time the Beatles had been very innovative with (the making of) Sgt. Pepper. And in America, it didn’t go so well with the BB. So they had to, they wanted to give an answer to Sgt. Pepper.
6:51: JR: And they were in bad shape <…> too insignificant musically. (Monterey footage? / Janis Joplin). Just the thought that <…> so Carl and I started plodding (?, planning).
8:31: BC: They wanted Ricky Fataar and I <…> or something (starts laughing), sorry.
8:56: JR: Wouldn’t that be wild <…> into the group. (I’m Bugged At My Old Man) We had finished an album called <…> I love it, what more do we need. (Fun Fun Fun)
10:50: BC: To me it was like an adventure <…> a farmer’s barn.
11:12: DW: It had been a lamp bulb-factory. Before that it had been a big henhouse. And then within the building, another smaller building was built in. And then it became a studio in 1969.
11:27: JR:  Fine I’m sure for making a demo recording, but not for what we had to do.
11:32: DW: 2 months before they (the BB) would arrive themselves, carpenters had been busy preparing the studio acoustically and later on also electronically.
11:43: JR: We flew in an entire <…> you name it, we were all there.
12:10: BC: 5 Beach Boys, 5 houses, 5 Mercedesses, few  dogs.
12:16: JR: We increased the population <…> we were everywhere.
12:38: RvV: In 1972 I was in my shop, and came outside because of a car that drove out of a lane, with in it a small boy behind the wheel. And that’s how I got in contact with Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys. (interviewer): And what do you mean with a small boy in a car? What happened? RvV: Well, he probably took off the hand break of the car and drove backwards – and, well, there wasn’t so much traffic as nowadays – and hit the fence overhere – one can still see the dents – and that evening I got in contact with his dad – and he said “come by this evening” – and I became aware that it was (one of) the BB, Carl Wilson.
13:32: JR: That was more than a cycle shop. That was a social outpost, if I recall correctly.
13:39: RvV: Yes, and then he would come by at around 12 o’clock or 12:30, and then he would stand beside me in the workshop near the equipment, to talk about all kind of things, and his son would wander around, playing with all those wheels. And I was working then, but in the mean while we were talking with each other. That’s how it went.
14:07: JR: When you’re in a place, you know, no town, small town, a "dorp" (= village) in The Netherlands, in Holland, that pretence of celebrity goes away quick, and in stead there’s something much nicer… and that’s “gezellig, zeg” (= “cosy/pleasant, isn’t it?”).
14:28: RvV: Then we would drive along the Vecht (a Dutch river), and then wanted to see all the castles, and they loved it. I remember that one time that we had to step out near a farmer’s fence, because they had seen a cow. And I was thinking by myself “Strange situation with those people. You live in Hollywood and have everything just around the corner. And here you have to stop for a cow. And then wanting to caress them. Even posed for a photo.And well, yeah, they loved it.” (Funky Pretty)
15:06: JR: I remember walking up a “bloemenmarkt” (flowermarket), along a “single” (town canal) with Brian Wilson. <…> spectacle of flowers all around.
15:24: DW: They experienced it here being liberal. I can understand that, comparing it with America at the time. Because that you’d go to a shop and be able to order a quantity of soft-drugs was totally new for people from abroad. As if you would be going to the butcher. That’s how they would talk about it. “Can you imagine?”
15:48: JR: I think that the influence <…> for that particular project.
16:22: DW: There’s a song on it, on the record, called Steamboat. At a certain moment it was recorded at double speed: drums, piano and bass. Then it was put on normal speed again, and then that was doubled again, resulting in a beautiful extra layer. (Steamboat)
17:05: JR: I wanted to add <…> used on a lot of tracks (The Trader, live footage Billy Hinsche)
17:40: CW: It was a very creative time for me <…> a very spiritual time also.
18:11: BC: It turned into a pretty mellow <…> you know, it was great (Funky Pretty)
19:10: RvV: Mercedes, they all had one. All rented at a lease company. Don’t know which one, but I think somewhere near Leiden (Dutch city).
19:21: Jeroen Helms: It was of course the order of the year. 8 Mercedesses at once. Even if it was only for 6 months. But at the end, to my calculations, we could earn twice on it.
19:33: JR:  You have to take into account that they were expecting a certain life-style.
19:38: JH: “Okay, it includes everything?” I say: “It includes everything, insurance, road tax, etc. etc.”. “Okay, when can we have them?”.
19:47: JR: I can’t remember a single conversation in which was dealt with “You know, you are spending too much money”.
19:55: JH: It was, also for that time, a rather high amount monthly. And it was agreed on immediately. They didn’t have to take care of the pence.
20:03: RvV: “Where do you live from?” Well, 4 to 5 concerts each year in America, they did in a baseball stadium. And that would be sold out completely. And further making 1 record each 2 years. And that would be their income. (Sail On Sailor, footage Billy Hinsche)
20:43: BC: … is a more funky song <…> it wasn’t fully realised.
21:32: JR: It is true that Holland wasn’t the start of a new direction of the BB. It was a new direction on it’s own. But I never felt, that they would go back to Los Angeles, and keep following that same direction. No, it was never the intention of an escape.
22:05: BC: Rolling Stone magazine liked the album a lot <…> but it was the BB.
22:21: JR: Mission completed. That simply was it for me. I have to admit, it wasn’t always easy to work with Brian Wilson, because he’s a very complicated person. At the time I decided after 2, 3 months: if I can get away with it, I wanna stay. And I indeed did that. (interviewer): How long did you stay? JR: 2 and a half year in The Netherlands.
22:58: DW: Afterwards I heard that the whole Holland-spectacle almost made them bankrupt.
23:04: JR: I know that – everything included – it was more than half a million Dollars.
23:13: JH: They were returned, let me say this decently, they were returned very untidy. The interior were, ehm, let me say this differently, you couldn’t sell them like that. Washing them wasn’t effective. I think that, of those 8 (Mercedesses) at about 5 had to be furnished again. They got a whole new interior. (Surfin’ USA)
24:04: HG: Surfin’ USA, with a view on a Dutch ditch. It was a risky combination and a moderate success. The “connoisseurs” regard Holland highly. But all in all, it was more an escape, as Rieley just mentioned, then a way out. Because the future doesn’t put you in a cheerful mood. Back in the U.S. the BB fell back into the troubles they had had. The new members disappeared. The drugs would demand it’s toll. The first of the Wilson brothers died, a second one followed. And even though from time to time something new came, the band started to rely on their old successes and greatest hits tours. The “good vibrations” were finally over. So that, afterwards, one could say that Holland was their last innovative album. Right here on the meadows. “Put that one in your pocket”. We end here. Next week…
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:35:36 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

SMiLE-Holland, you're a Saint.
There's a special place in Heaven just for you.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »

Yes, thank you very much!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »

Many thanks indeed for the translation - very much appreciated!   Grin

I see you can easily download the programme to a computer as a Quicktime file too. Excellent!   Grin Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »

Wow, incredible!! thanks for that S-H! Smiley

I see you can easily download the programme to a computer as a Quicktime file too. Excellent!   Grin Grin

How so?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »

I see you can easily download the programme to a computer as a Quicktime file too. Excellent!   Grin Grin

How so?

I happen to have RealPlayer on my PC. When I start playing the docu, some RealPlayer download-option pops-up right above the screen. That's how I did it.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 05:03:19 AM »

How so?

I happen to have RealPlayer on my PC. When I start playing the docu, some RealPlayer download-option pops-up right above the screen. That's how I did it.

I'm on a Mac; below-right of the "TV screen" on the webpage is a small arrow pointing down -  click on this and go to "save as Quick-time movie".

Don't know whether that works on PC s too...

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »

Check this out from Blondie's website: http://www.blondiechaplin.com/BBHolland.htm

And be sure to take a look at the rest of the site with some great music from the man himself. The videosection has a live SOS from '07
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:18:32 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:07:45 PM »

Check this out from Blondie's website: http://www.blondiechaplin.com/BBHolland.htm

And be sure to take a look at the rest of the site with some great music from the man himself. The videosection has a live SOS from '07
Wow...could they have picked a worse photo of Brian for that last page?  There are surely 100's of photos better than that one!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:21:01 PM »

While he does look a little ragged in this shot I certainly prefer pictures like that over the ones that were made for the sole purpose of presenting his new teeth to the public. It looks like a candid shot of him doing his performance, which is cool.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »

How's about an English translation of THAT?  Smiley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »

is that a hint?  Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

is that a hint?  Grin
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 04:03:19 AM »

I was affraid you'd say that. Don't expect it right away, but when time permits, I'll give it a shot. Don't think it'll give a lot of new information though.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 02:56:52 AM »

I don't recall if this ever played in an English format back in 09. This has just reappeared and most interviews are now in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-vuSpauyU
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 04:00:08 AM »

I don't recall if this ever played in an English format back in 09. This has just reappeared and most interviews are now in English.

Thanks for posting this link!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 05:33:09 AM »

As a resident of the Netherlands, I'm sure there wasn't ever an English overdubbed version. If I remember correctly, the earlier version on YouTube or whatever replaced the dialogue with BB songs! The version here is what we all saw on TV in 2009. Thanks a lot for linking it!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »

Gives one a real insight into Jack Rieley.. not something you see on any other video interview...
so this is a big bonus!!!  Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 06:56:56 AM »

Thanks to Yorick for bringing it to our attention.  I don't remember seeing this before.

SMiLE Holland for the translation.  Three hours not wasted!

And Pretty Funky for putting it in a link that plays in America.

This was a neat way to start my morning.  I too would love to see more of Jack's take on his time with the group.

Rocker, I can't seem to get the Blondie link to work.  Will try again later to find it.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx