gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:14:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB on "Wipe Out" ?  (Read 4369 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »

So, listening to "Wipe Out" (there's a reason), and the more I listen - on CD, iPod or 45 - the more I'm convinced that the only Beach Boy on this song is Brian. Yes, even the bass vocal.

Why, I have no idea and somewhere in there is one helluva good story.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »

Love that cut !
I always thought that the bassvocal sounds like Mike but I can't hear out any other BB except those two.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »

So, listening to "Wipe Out" (there's a reason)
It's about time we get the complete "Wipeout" sessions box set.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »

If that's Brian on bass vocal, that's the greatest Mike Love imitation I ever heard! And from Brian no less. But, my question is, why would Mike LET ANYBODY sing his part on a Beach Boys' recording?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »

If that's Brian on bass vocal, that's the greatest Mike Love imitation I ever heard! And from Brian no less. But, my question is, why would Mike LET ANYBODY sing his part on a Beach Boys' recording?

That's what I mean - great story in there somewhere.

BTW, for a great BW bass vocal, check out the unreleased version of "Shortenin' Bread"

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »

BTW, for a great BW bass vocal, check out the unreleased version of "Shortenin' Bread"

Which one? Isn't there like, 4?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »

It's about time we get the complete "Wipeout" sessions box set.

Give Capitol time, they won't miss a trick like that.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:54:58 PM »

Insanity?  Razz

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »

Which one? Isn't there like, 4?

LA outtake w/Honeys on bvs (they used the 1973 track & bvs)

Jason
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »

Don't you meant the Adult/Child version?
XY
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:46:27 PM »

So, listening to "Wipe Out" (there's a reason), and the more I listen - on CD, iPod or 45 - the more I'm convinced that the only Beach Boy on this song is Brian. Yes, even the bass vocal.

OMG, just had a déjà vu experience.  Shocked
Was listening to the "Still Cruisin'" album yesterday (wanted to check which mix of "California Girls" was used  Cheesy).
While "Wipe Out", thought about AGD's claim that it's all Brian, even the bass vocal. But that's Mike, can't be Brian, AGD doesn't have a clue. Or if it's Brian, it's a darn good Mike interpretation. Anyway, I come here and here's AGD's message about this topic. Very strange...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:40:29 AM »

Don't you meant the Adult/Child version?

That too.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »

Hmmmmm... been contacted by someone who was there at the time, and they told me that everyone was on it - Brian, Mike, Carl, Alan & Bruce. As I've no reason to disbelieve this source, all I can think is that for 99.67% of the time, Mike, Bruce, Carl & Alan's faders were set at 1 during the mix - I seriously cannot hear anyone except Brian in fully "shouty-whiny" mode.

And the bass vocal still sounds curiously unlike Mike.

Interestingly enough, although it sounds like a solo effort, the whole band are there for "Solar System" too. So there is a precedent.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

I read somewhere, maybe AGD's book, that this was orginally supposed to be with Run DMC, but Mike made a deal with the Fat Boys instead.  How could Mike make a deal on his own?  Does anyone know how close it came to being a done deal with Run DMC?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:20 PM »

I read somewhere, maybe AGD's book, that this was orginally supposed to be with Run DMC, but Mike made a deal with the Fat Boys instead.  How could Mike make a deal on his own?  Does anyone know how close it came to being a done deal with Run DMC?

Off the top of my head and without checking (due to lack of time), I believe the whole Fat Boys/Run DMC thing is covered in some detail in Stephen McParland's "The Wilson Project".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »

Interestingly enough, although it sounds like a solo effort, the whole band are there for "Solar System" too. So there is a precedent.
Are the BBs on "Let Us Go On this Way" vocally? Also, is that fully Brian on the "Night Was So Young" harmonies, with Carl's lead?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »

Just watched the video on youtube for the first time in ages because of this thread. Man, Bruce is a ham. You'd think he was the main man by that video. Brian looks really good in it though.

Why isn't Carl there (I know there's a photo of him on the surfboard)? Did he just think it was a stupid idea?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »

Are the BBs on "Let Us Go On this Way" vocally? Also, is that fully Brian on the "Night Was So Young" harmonies, with Carl's lead?

Oh yeah - there's some vocal sessions from Love You floating about. They're there all right, and considering what a mess most of them were in at the time, doing a damn fine job.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx