gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681494 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 05:58:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to ressurect Brian's musical career: Rick Rubin.  (Read 7192 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »

How do we know Rubin won't try to make Brian's stuff sound like modern, slick, mainstream hard rock? Isn't mainstream hard rock one of Rubin's calling cards?

Slayer, early Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash's 'American' albums, Neil Diamond... Slick mainstream hard rock?
Red Hot Chili Peppers?

So you're judging Rubin solely on the Chilli Peppers when his resume is far more varied than you're giving him credit for.  Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" are NOTHING  like what you describe.

Add the Dixie Chicks to Rubin's resume too.

I stand corrected. The Chili Peppers just happen to stick out in my mind the most when I think of Rick Rubin. Run DMC, too.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »

Over the last twenty years or so, Rick Rubin's track record speaks for itself. Over that same time period, unfortunately, so does Brian Wilson's....

don't know why "unfortunately" is in there -

BW88, Imagination, Roxy, BWPS - TLOS (hopefully)
Return to touring, highly acclaimed tours of Pet Sounds, Smile and Lucky Old Sun, hugely successful appearance at Glastonbury.  Not sure just how much people want from the bloke...

You shouldn't have to ask "why" because you went ahead and answered your own question.

I hate to keep using percentages, but who wants another BW88, Imagination, Roxy? You conveniently left out Pet Sounds Live, Getting In Over My Head, and The Christmas album. The answer is a very small number of people. I'm not even sure Brian is proud of some of those efforts? Where is Seymour Stein, Lenny Waronker, Clive Davis and those guys now?

And, now, Brian is going to tour "The Beach Boys' Greatest Hits" because?

The question/point of the thread is/was about Rick Rubin, and I believe that he could help. Simple as that. Nobody's talking about locking Brian up in some room. If you're familiar with Rick Rubin you would know that's not his style. But Brian Wilson NEEDS a producer, and I wouldn't hesitate investing in Rick Rubin. Would Neil Diamond endorse him? Would the late, great Johnny Cash endorse him? Or Tom Petty? Or Flea (Al Jardine's new buddy)?

The point about the term "resurrection" was raised. In 2008, Brian Wilson has a recording contract with who?
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

The point about the term "resurrection" was raised. In 2008, Brian Wilson has a recording contract with who?

it's Brian Wilson, not Britney Spears!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 02:44:55 AM »

Neil Diamond benefited from the hype of working with Rubin, that's how it works. If "12 Songs" had been produced by Joe Nobody in Nashville and sounded exactly the same, no one would have given a damn. Now, realistically. Do you people want Brian to "make it, again"? Hire a super-producer like Rubin, Godrich or O'Rourke. That'll hype the project and make people give it a chance. Or have Brian write and/or sing like in the sixties.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »

Neil Diamond benefited from the hype of working with Rubin, that's how it works. If "12 Songs" had been produced by Joe Nobody in Nashville and sounded exactly the same, no one would have given a damn. Now, realistically. Do you people want Brian to "make it, again"? Hire a super-producer like Rubin, Godrich or O'Rourke. That'll hype the project and make people give it a chance. Or have Brian write and/or sing like in the sixties.

Please, no more Brian Wilson hype.

But, I think some are underestimating the importance of a producer, especially when it relates to Brian. Haven't we/they learned their lesson yet with BW88, Imagination, and GIOMH?

....oooh dit dit Silent Night dit dit Holy Night dit dit.... police
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »

But, I think some are underestimating the importance of a producer...

Or underestimating the importance of having an artist with much to say anymore. 

I love TLOS. I'd buy it whether the production were (in order of decreasing quality) classic BW, a quality modern producer (whether of the "classic" type like T-Bone Burnett or Rick Rubin or a more hip, younger name), Jeff Lynne or Gene Landy back from the grave. But the days of major innovation and popularity combined from BW are long gone, and frankly, even (either) one out of two is pretty unlikely.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

Luther, I don't disagree with what you wrote. I'm not suggesting that - keeping with the thread topic - collaborating with Rick Rubin WILL GUARANTEE a success. What I am suggesting is that Brian NEEDS a co-producer, and to me, Rick Rubin is as good as anyone around today. And, again, keeping in mind what you wrote, at least it gives Brian a fighting chance. Brian's gonna keep making and releasing music until the day he dies. I just wish the people handling him would learn from the past mistakes (selection of producer), that's all.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

Yeah, in keeping with the thread, then, I guess I'd say a very smart marketing campaign to renew interest in his classic material is the way to resurrect his career, with selected tours or shows featuring his complete band doing increasing doubling or replacement vocals to ensure he doesn't embarrass himself. That's how to sell more Brian Wilson product and keep the name out there. And I don't really care one way or the other whether that happens.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 10:49:14 PM »

I'd still prefer someone who "gets" Brian to help him produce. Darian and/or Scott with Linett engineering would ork for me.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

You know, a lot of the more striking pieces on the Cash series were covers and the Diamond, to be honest, just isn't in the same league and I can take or leave (okay, mostly don't play).
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »

Brian's career is just fine and doesn't need resurrection. Just by saying that it implies that Brian's career is in the tank. Compare him to any of his Rock and Roll contemporaries and honestly tell me Brian is somehow not on the same level. BWPS was more than anyone could ever ask for from the man. Maybe the best thing to resurrect his career would be a T.V. special anthology with the proper CD's that go along with it. That might be better publicity than a new album produced by Rick Rubin, if more interest, sales, and new music from Brian is what you mean by resurrection.

Rick Rubin is not some kind of miracle worker who would resurrect Brian's career. Personally, I like Rick Rubin a lot. Hell, I'm sure I would like the work he would do with Brian very much. However it wouldn't resurrect something that doesn't need resurrection to begin with.

I wouldn't say Brian's career is in the tank, but save for SMiLE, which is a whole other beast in and of itself, he hasn't put out anything noteworthy as a solo artist.  If any producer can bring Brian Wilson's projects attention, Rick Rubin is the man.

Anyone listen to David Gilmour's new album? It's alright, definitely has it's moments. His voice is still great. It wasn't the Rolling Stone record of the year though.

It's a pretty good album.  I especially love the title track.  Great backing vocals by Crosby and Nash.  Anyone who loves harmonies should definately check that one out.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 01:52:57 AM »

BW88 may not have been a top ten hit but it got some good reviews in rags as diverse as NME and Rolling Stone and it's still well-thought of by influential BB critics, one of whom shows up here now and then...
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 05:43:24 AM »

88 is a decent album, except for the dated production.  The music has that wonderful Wilson weirdness to it behind the sheen. I actually haven't heard the rest of his solo stuff, 'cept for Smile.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 06:49:13 AM »

Why not release That Lucky Old Sun as a live performance album? It's obvious that BW today is not so much the brilliant studio wizard he used to be in the sixties, but as far as I'm concerned he's done some fine and very emotional stage performances with his band over the last few years. TLOS was even premiered that way, so why not just put it out? Everybody knows it's not 1966 anymore and I have to say I even like the Smile live DVD more than the BWPS studio album.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:50:29 AM by phirnis » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

I don't really see stylistic compatibilty between Brian and Rick Rubin.  Brian would be better of not being overproduced, but Rubin is probably too minimalist.  I also agree that it really begins and ends with the material that Brian writes. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx