gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681648 Posts in 27652 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 24, 2024, 01:10:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Leaf, Landy and Melinda's fault, surely.  (Read 8085 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xyUTaUc87c
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »

surrounded by schlock - the great Carl Wilson.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:19:15 AM »

Sounds about as banal as the Landy songs on Sweet Insanity.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:40:36 AM »

Melcher wrote better songs in his Beach Boys tenure.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »

Well, here goes my credibility but I actually thought it wasn't that bad.  We're talking about what, 1987 or so?  That kind of was how things went back then. 

Thank god the kid didn't find Brian's stash!

BTW, Carl Wilson proves once more that he was incredible. 
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:13:49 AM »

the movie and song came out in 1990.

you better check out just who wrote the song.........

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:19:45 AM »

I hope he's not reading but I thought Carl sounded much better on this than Brian sounded on anything on Sweet Insanity. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 05:25:58 AM »

The most downright absurd aspect of their many lackluster eighties singles is that one of them actually made it to the top of the charts... Sadly, what's most incredible about Carl Wilson here is that he obviously didn't give a toss about the group's artistic direction anymore. All this dross, like Problem Child or Happy Endings even make Keepin' The Summer Alive really shine.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 06:52:12 AM »

Keep in mind that for 1990 and the late 80s, this wasn't all that unusually bad. Also, maybe the  Boys just didn't have the fight left in them? I mean, we all need to make a living. and with all the ups and downs these guys had gone through.... maybe they just sucummed to bad management. or maybe they even thought it was good! Or at least that it would be a hit.

Of course, David Leaf, Melinda and Landy can't be held responsible for bad creative decisions that a group of grown men make, but perhaps the whole rock-school- of-cool contingent coulda treated Carl, Al, Mike, Bruce, (as well as Dennis) with a bit more respect when they were actually, for the most part, really trying (and mostly succeeding) to create heady, artistic, vibrant music, instead of measuring anythings worth against whatever level of Brian involvement there was. And then they even bashed Brian for not dishing out Pet Sounds 2-3-4 and 5 every year.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:53:29 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:20:42 AM »

I think that the most remarkable thing about the Beach Boys' 80s and 90s material is that it sounds much more dated now than anything they recorded in 1965-1973.

I guess that's just the difference between setting and following trends.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »

It seems that from the Light Album onwards, they were basically trying to sound like whatever the current fad in music was and failing at it miserably (minus Dennis' and Carl's songs on L.A., and Where I Belong, artistically speaking, and Kokomo, Getcha Back, and Good Timin' from a commercial standpoint).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »

the movie and song came out in 1990.

you better check out just who wrote the song.........

Hey, I was fooled by the youtube liner notes.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SG7
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:37:14 AM »

Thank god the kid didn't find Brian's stash!

LOL LOL LOL

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »

By the time Melcher hooked up with the BB in this period, he'd lost it, as I suspect Usher had when you listen to the production of the usher tapes.

This is a piece of sh*t, really - but it was one among many.  What the hell were they thinking?
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »

Mike does get a lot of stick, much of it deservedly, but this sort of thing does make me wonder if he is really the One To Blame.

The 80s were hard on 60s pop stars... if you could remember the 60s Beach Boys, you'd still respect them. If you were too young to know them, this  band playing this music could represent The Enemy as much as ... Celine Dion.  And making the journey to discovering the great 60s and 70s tracks a much harder trek.

So maybe Beach Boys fans under 40 years old are post-ironic ?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »

how is this any of their faults? David Leaf, a writer with little or no influence, and mainly with just Brian. Landy, perhaps he prevented Brian from performing in the video/song like Kokomo, so really, thanks Dr. Landy on that one. and Melinda isn't even in the picture until further down the road (influencial wise)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »

Once again, the Boys feel the lash of YouTube across their aging shoulders.  There should probably be a separate board set up for that- scourge our heroes with their latter-day indiscretions. The well is apparently bottomless.

Actually, it didn't bother me at all.  I lived through those days and found it advisable to stay inebriated most of the time. I like this song better than, say, "Rainbow Eyes". (I had sobered up by then).

And incidentally, I think most stuff sounds more dated from 10-20 years later than it does at 30-40.  Elvis' early hits sounded dated to me in the seventies, they sound utterly timeless now.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
MBE
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

I hope he's not reading but I thought Carl sounded much better on this than Brian sounded on anything on Sweet Insanity. 

Hate to agree but Brian never did sing worse.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »

"how is this any of their faults? David Leaf, a writer with little or no influence, and mainly with just Brian. Landy, perhaps he prevented Brian from performing in the video/song like Kokomo, so really, thanks Dr. Landy on that one. and Melinda isn't even in the picture until further down the road (influencial wise)"

Sorry, it was meant to be ironic.   Roll Eyes
MBE
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 03:15:35 PM »

how is this any of their faults? David Leaf, a writer with little or no influence, and mainly with just Brian. Landy, perhaps he prevented Brian from performing in the video/song like Kokomo, so really, thanks Dr. Landy on that one. and Melinda isn't even in the picture until further down the road (influencial wise)
Obviously this was a joke
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »

Livin Doll/Barbie's a lot worse than anything on SI. And Landy probably was behind that!  That was awful too.   Maybe they were looking for a new audience?  Bring on Make It Big!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:20:19 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

I guess that's just the difference between setting and following trends.

100% agree...well said

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »

good song I like the stuff the beach boys made during the 80's and 90's
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »

sorry, i guess i didnt catch that...i was in the mind-set of someone new was writing it, i'll look at the author next time

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

Livin Doll/Barbie's a lot worse than anything on SI. And Landy probably was behind that!  That was awful too.   Maybe they were looking for a new audience?  Bring on Make It Big!
It's not a great moment but it was admitedly for kids. The other songs have no excuse.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx