gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681502 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 01:01:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new comp announced - June 10 - U.S. Singles  (Read 24901 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »

Any chance we'll have another podcast series from Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce (and Mr Marks for the tracks he played on) for this new release?

Also, am I right to assume it will include new stereo mixes like we had for WOTS last year? And will they be available to download as single tracks on I-Tunes etc? I thought the stereo versions of Kiss Me Baby and Please Let Me Wonder were great...so a stereo version of something like She Knows Me Too Well would really be somthing too.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »

Any chance we'll have another podcast series from Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce (and Mr Marks for the tracks he played on) for this new release?

Also, am I right to assume it will include new stereo mixes like we had for WOTS last year? And will they be available to download as single tracks on I-Tunes etc? I thought the stereo versions of Kiss Me Baby and Please Let Me Wonder were great...so a stereo version of something like She Knows Me Too Well would really be somthing too.

Cheers

Off the top of my head, here's a ist of the new stereo mixes:

When I grow Up To Be A Man
She Knows Me Too Well
Do You Wanna Dance - track
Little St. Nick

I have no idea regarding downloads or any possible podcast. That's EMI's department.....
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »

Thanks Mark...It's so cool that people like you come by here and chat with the fans.

Sam

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2008, 01:04:03 PM »

Mark, is the I Get Around track the same mix as appeared on the GV boxset, or did you tweak it at all?

Same mix. There's nothing to tweak since it is just two track stereo....... Wish we had more (like the vocals) but it is still one of my alltime favorites. Simply amazing how the record was conceptualized with that backing track. Not at all what you would expect.

Yeah, I was going to say...not like there's much to tweak.

It is quite a backing track -- I've tried for years to get the Danelectro bass sound, and the nifty little sort of off-kilter percussion that Hal does on the basic is neat.  The harpsichord is, as you say, unexpected contextually.

Really looking forward to the DY Wanna Dance track too, Larry Knectel's O.D.ed bassline is one of my favorite moments from the Today album.

Speaking of which, it will be nice to add a few more stereo remixes to the Today stereo playlist.

You guys know I appreciate the hoop jumping!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »

Off the top of my head, here's a ist of the new stereo mixes:
She Knows Me Too Well

Nice! I've been wanting to hear a stereo remix of that for awhile.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »

Seems like the Beach Boys will never stop eating their own. Once again they are showing no respect for Dennis Wilson. The release date is the day before POB's new release. Stupid MF's. Oh...right...its just a coincidence.

Jon, it IS a coincidence.  The Beach Boys and Brother Records have been very supportive of the POB reissue, jumping through hoops to find masters and clear various legal issues in order to facilitate this release... and I know this because I was doing a lot of the jumping.

You also have to consider the numerous delays for the release date of POB, which had nothing to do with the Beach Boys (but, to be fair, were about everyone involved wanting to make sure that the POB reissue was the absolute best it could be).

The ridiculous assertion that the Beach Boys are "again showing no respect for Dennis Wilson" serves no purpose other than to stir up old baggage and make it more difficult to do these kinds of projects in the future.

Well...Guess I'm Dumb. It would be nice if the two releases could have been spaced out for oh...two weeks...a week. But I guess i'll have to settle for 24 hours. I have no interest in stirring anything up...I'm just a fan reacting, and my commentary is directly from the heart. You don't need to remind me of your contribution or hoop jumping on POB. If I'm somehow being politically incorrect by reacting to what i think is a dumb scenario, it wasn't meant to disrespect you, that's for certain. But if you can't see why a fan who has been on the edge of his seat for decades...waiting for Dennis to get a release date, and when he finally does...then learn that the BB's are releasing product the day before...if you can't understand why that fan wouldn't be disappointed, then you're not the Alan Boyd I know...you are an imposter. Ha! Reveal yourself Mike Love!! I rip the Alan Boyd mask away and there he is...the evil Lovester once again thwarting Dennis and all that is good. I've had the flu for a few days and things are a little surreal.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »

Jon - I get how you feel, and to me it's just nice to know that the people working on this stuff care so much.  You, Mark, and Alan and several more...I mean, if some of the people posting here knew how much the three of you care...
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »

Jon, you're right - it IS an awkward release scenario, and I totally understand why a fan would be aggravated.  But it's a record company thing, and the labels aren't coordinating their schedules, which in the case of the singles collection was set sometime last year. 

It's not even a "right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" scenario; it's more like "the right hand had no idea there WAS a left hand."

Feel better, Jon!  Enjoy the sur-reality of it all, if you can.

(Just to be certain, I took a moment and peeled off the "Alan Boyd" mask.  What it revealed may be too disturbing for even the scariest sci-fi movie, but rest assured, I'm definitely not a Beach Boy... and hopefully not a "Beached Boyd")

SG7
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »

Weird timing indeed  Shocked

Well the singles coming out will not affect me from getting my hands on POB.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »

I might have to wait on the singles thing and save my pennies and save my dimes.  Cool collection, and worth getting...but steep.  POB/Bambu, tho...day one!

Do you guys know if they're planning to have it in the bigger stores?  Often with BB releases, i go looking on the day of release and simply CANNOT find it ANYWHERE.  Which sucks a whole lot.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »

"if you can't understand why that fan wouldn't be disappointed"...man I double negatived myself right out of my own point.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »

I guess I don't get how you can know all you don't need to be reminded of and still vent your position. I haven't had the flu but things get more surreal to me every day.

Actually, on second thought, I don't see how one would mess up the other; seems to me one would help the other with the BBs release being more help to POB than POB helping BBs. I've been wrong before though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:53:49 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »

I might have to wait on the singles thing and save my pennies and save my dimes.  Cool collection, and worth getting...but steep.  POB/Bambu, tho...day one!

I agree Susan. I'm going to have to wait with that singles box. POB has been a long time coming and now that we are getting Bambu, that is just too good not to get as soon as it comes out

Do you guys know if they're planning to have it in the bigger stores?  Often with BB releases, i go looking on the day of release and simply CANNOT find it ANYWHERE.  Which sucks a whole lot.

Same with me Susan. In fact a lot of people I speak to seem to have similar problems finding a lot of the newly released stuff.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »

I agree Susan. I'm going to have to wait with that singles box. POB has been a long time coming and now that we are getting Bambu, that is just too good not to get as soon as it comes out.

Don't get me wrong - i WILL be picking up that singles collection, if for no other reason than to help send the message to EMI that the BBs are still relevant to the "record-buying" public.  I am convinced that support of projects like this and other GH releases is what paves the way for the Hawthorne Californias to come out.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2008, 06:45:08 PM »

Don't get me wrong - i WILL be picking up that singles collection, if for no other reason than to help send the message to EMI that the BBs are still relevant to the "record-buying" public.  I am convinced that support of projects like this and other GH releases is what paves the way for the Hawthorne Californias to come out.

I suppose to a point that is true. But honestly, I don't know if I will buy it. I might wait until I find it used somewhere. Because frankly, I am sick of buying packages of which I already own 75-90%. I'd like to send the label that message. I'll be honest, I prefer the music on the singles comp. to the POB/Bambu music. And yet I'm more likely to go out of my way for the latter. Sell us more new stuff!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »

Well I am going to get it too, but like I said I'm just going to wait. Firstly for the price to go down as it's too expensive for me and secondly there is just too many other things that I have above that on the list of things to get (and POB/Bambu would be #1)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »

I suppose to a point that is true. But honestly, I don't know if I will buy it. I might wait until I find it used somewhere. Because frankly, I am sick of buying packages of which I already own 75-90%. I'd like to send the label that message. I'll be honest, I prefer the music on the singles comp. to the POB/Bambu music. And yet I'm more likely to go out of my way for the latter. Sell us more new stuff!

That's what I have done in the past - bought it 2nd hand - just purely on the fact that I can't afford some of this stuff. For example The Pet Sounds Sessions I bought second hand and I might have to do that for this one like you.

But I totally agree Luther, if there is a release with any new recordings then I will go with that over a greatest hits with a few new remixed tracks any time. Don't get me wrong I LOVE hearing the stereo remixes (though sometimes I still prefer the mono mixes) but I will take unreleased songs/recordings over them anyday
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »

I ought to be clear: if I buy the collection later or second-hand, it's not for lack of funds. It's my choice not to give my money for something of minimal value to me. I love the BBs, but that doesn't mean I will pay full retail price for packages of mostly old material. If I were a millionaire, I still wouldn't rush out for these repackagings with a handful of new mixes. If others will, cool. But not me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
byronrosen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »

BTW the release date of the box has nothing to do with the POB release by Sony except perhaps that everyone wants to release B. Boys product in the summertime.....
[/quote]

I'm writing an article about the POB re release and I find the recent news (and timing) of the singles box quite interesting to say the least. I agree with the previous posting that said it was unfortunate that Brother has decided to release at the same time as POB trying to take the spotlight away from Dennis after all these years. One thing I learned in my interviews is that Mr. Linett and Mr. Boyd were not involved with the creation of the new album other than fetching the tapes from brother vault. Is that the reason for the timing of the singles box? I know I will be spending my money on Dennis and wait for a review copy of the singles box.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »

Well, I'm literally flat broke, haven't made a dime of money in almost a year...but I'll sell plasma to get both of the new things.  Happily, they come out a few days before my birthday.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »

Jon - I get how you feel, and to me it's just nice to know that the people working on this stuff care so much.  You, Mark, and Alan and several more...I mean, if some of the people posting here knew how much the three of you care...

John,

It is two totally difft. labels who don't pay attention to what the other is releasing and when...... It isn't like the movie business.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »

BTW the release date of the box has nothing to do with the POB release by Sony except perhaps that everyone wants to release B. Boys product in the summertime.....

I'm writing an article about the POB re release and I find the recent news (and timing) of the singles box quite interesting to say the least. I agree with the previous posting that said it was unfortunate that Brother has decided to release at the same time as POB trying to take the spotlight away from Dennis after all these years. One thing I learned in my interviews is that Mr. Linett and Mr. Boyd were not involved with the creation of the new album other than fetching the tapes from brother vault. Is that the reason for the timing of the singles box? I know I will be spending my money on Dennis and wait for a review copy of the singles box.

[/quote]

Neither Brother, Alan or myself have anything to do with the timing of the singles box , and you can ad EMI to the list of those having no say in when POB is released. As for the release date of the box, That's what EMI does..... decides what to put out and when. Would EMI have put out POB and the box at the same time? Probably not... but Sony does what it thinks best for Sony and btw they have already delayed POB at least twice.

Besides I don't really see how one release can have anything but a positive effect on the other. And now I am done, since somehow the amount in the glass seemingly can never satisfy everyone, and in this case it would seem the only complaint is the glass is overflowing.

Enough with the corny metaphors and all the rest. Buy em or don't whatever makes ya happy........
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »

This post will qualify for naive post of the yaer, but I don't care....

I find it hard to believe that somebody - anybody! - at Capitol wasn't aware when Pacific Ocean Blue was going to be released. It has to be SOMEBODY'S job to know things like that. Just the fact that you work at a record company, AND the record company of The Beach Boys, you would think that somebody couldn't help but STUMBLE upon an article on the release of POB and mention it to somebody, who would mention it to somebody, who would....

Anyway, I don't think it will ultimately matter, because I believe the Beach Boys' comp will tank. I think the audience for this release is limited, very limited.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »

I have to agree with ML, actually I pre-did, that these releases will help each other rather hurt each other. If the new BBs comp generates interest for BBs music it will increase interest in Denny's music rather than suppress it.

Is Denny's record company upset by a coincidental release?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
XY
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »

Wait until you see the announcement of the 'Lucky Old Sun' DVD Set next week.  LOL Cold war all over again.

Honestly, I don't think someone who would have bought the Legacy Edition won't buy it now because of the Singles Collection. En contraire, the BB release will help POB getting even more attention... IMO.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx