gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 10:36:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'That Lucky Old Sun' A new Beach Boy album?  (Read 10326 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »

Still no response on just who owns the rights to TLOS!
As it was commissioned by The Festival Hall last year perhaps they do and that could be the reason behind the non-recording.
Out of interest I wouldn't mind hearing something new from Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David. Non Surf-Car. But count me out if a reunion tour was proposed.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »

The Beach Boys (especially Mike) should be kept as far away from TLOS as possible - other side of the planet - or even better shove the Boys in the space shuttle and send them to the other side of Pluto where they can sing Duke Of Earl 'til their heart's are content (and I don't have to hear it)!

I think it would be a good thing if Mike and Al wouldn't get any creative input, but I'd love to hear the voices of all surviving Beach Boys on one record again. So if someone would offer Mike and Al (and Bruce) a 'take it or leave it' deal to be on Brian's album and they'd accept it - I don't see what could be so bad about that.

I agree.  I think it would be cool if they were brought in basically as studio singers (with no creative input).  On the other hand, that might be a small slap in the face to Brian's band, who put in the work learning and developing their parts.  So really I think if the BB studio reunion is going to happen, it should not be on TLOS but maybe on a future Brian project.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »

On the other hand, that might be a small slap in the face to Brian's band, who put in the work learning and developing their parts.

I'm sure they'd understand. The BB are the reason why Brian's band excists and they've basically made a carreer of paying tribute to the BB's music. So I'm sure they wouldn't mind stepping aside for 'the real thing'.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »

The Beach Boys (especially Mike) should be kept as far away from TLOS as possible - other side of the planet - or even better shove the Boys in the space shuttle and send them to the other side of Pluto where they can sing Duke Of Earl 'til their heart's are content (and I don't have to hear it)!

I think it would be a good thing if Mike and Al wouldn't get any creative input, but I'd love to hear the voices of all surviving Beach Boys on one record again. So if someone would offer Mike and Al (and Bruce) a 'take it or leave it' deal to be on Brian's album and they'd accept it - I don't see what could be so bad about that.

From 95%+ of reports I have heard from the BB tour of Australia late last year (which I didn't attend) the auto tune would be as busy on Mike and Bruce's vocals as they would be on Brian's. For many reasons I can accept "fine tuning" of Brian's vocals but I cannot accept the same being done for Mike and Bruces vocals on an album they are only appearing on for nostalgia purposes - not to enhance the performance. I would much prefer to hear the naturally sweet vocals of Brian's band.

There are other Aussies who post on this board who can attest to the poor quality of the Beach Boys (Mike and Bruce) vocals on the last Aussie tour.
MBE
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 07:23:39 PM »

Perhaps but Mike did a letter perfect Here Today when I saw him last year.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

As was mentioned above, some of Brian's best albums have been written and recorded by Brian and a collaborator, and then the guys were brought in to lay down their vocals. Little Deuce Coupe, Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and to a lesser extent, Love You, would fall into this category. So TLOS would be nothing new. Scott would be filling the role of Roger Christian, Tony Asher, Van Dyke Parks, and maybe Carl Wilson on a lot of the later stuff.

I know this is a matter of opinion and a matter of taste, but I don't understand why any fan of the Beach Boys would prefer an entire album of Brian Wilson lead vocals with harmonies provided by others - when you could split the lead vocal duties among Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce, including the harmonies. Again, I know it's a matter of opinion, but I just don't get it.

There isn't much of a chance that TLOS will become a Beach Boys album. It should but it won't. And it pains me to say why. When and if the Beach Boys ever re-unite to record another album, Mike Love will INSIST on being the Executive Producer, and he will INSIST on contributing lyrics. I'm not sure that would fly with the rest of the guys. And I'm not sure Mike would be the best person for those roles.

Mike will never trust Brian again, so Mike has to be the Executive Producer. Mike will not allow another Smiley Smile or  Love You to happen again. And the way Brian prematurely wrapped up his "work" on 15 Big Ones, Love You, and L.A., well, Mike didn't forget that.

Also, Mike firmly believes that he can sit down with Brian and rekindle the old magic. This opportunity was taken away from Mike a long time ago and I don't think he's ever gotten over it. I think Mike is longing for the day that he gets another shot.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »

I know this is a matter of opinion and a matter of taste, but I don't understand why any fan of the Beach Boys would prefer an entire album of Brian Wilson lead vocals with harmonies provided by others - when you could split the lead vocal duties among Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce, including the harmonies. Again, I know it's a matter of opinion, but I just don't get it.

I know that by this time, I don't even have to post my response. But what the hell, I will anyway:

You're forgetting the true best option. The far better singers at this point in time are in Brian's band right now. Darian, Scott, Nick, Jeff, Probyn and Taylor are better singers than Mike, Al and Bruce (and sorry, but than Brian too). Let them work out the leads in true Beach Boys fashion ... but minus the remaining Beach Boys (except for Brian, who has to do MAD, for example, as well as those other parts most appropriate to his voice).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:55 PM »

Brian's band sure does have better voices on purely a technical leval, but I am a Beach Boys fan. I want to hear their voices even if they aren't near their prime. There is something about hearing them together that cannot be replaced.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »

There is something about hearing them together that cannot be replaced.

I know, I know. Everyone says that. Too bad that "something" is more in their heads than in the surviving guys' voices. Nostalgia...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »

You're forgetting the true best option. The far better singers at this point in time are in Brian's band right now. Darian, Scott, Nick, Jeff, Probyn and Taylor are better singers than Mike, Al and Bruce (and sorry, but than Brian too). Let them work out the leads in true Beach Boys fashion ... but minus the remaining Beach Boys (except for Brian, who has to do MAD, for example, as well as those other parts most appropriate to his voice).

Them's fightin' words!

How about the true best option being Pro Tooling Brian, Mike, and Bruce to death or whatever the hell it's called. I wanna hear the Beach Boys. I really have no emotional attachment to those "other guys".
Jason
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »

How about the true best option being Pro Tooling Brian, Mike, and Bruce to death or whatever the hell it's called. I wanna hear the Beach Boys. I really have no emotional attachment to those "other guys".

You got off to a rocky start but you nailed it in the end. Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »

Why not just cut and paste individual words from their 60s vocal sessions, then put them together into the words of the new songs, pitch-corrected to the appropriate new parts. Then stack 'em in whatever harmonies float your boat so it all works. There's that magic everyone loves so much.

(Yes, sarcasm)

Seriously, the original cast of characters is a) in large part dead, and b) incapable of doing anything of the kind of quality that they did 40 years ago, or even 30 years ago. When you get that hankering for the good ol' days, listen to the real music from then. But why not let the new stuff be done by people who are still good?

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:36 PM »

There is something about hearing them together that cannot be replaced.

I know, I know. Everyone says that. Too bad that "something" is more in their heads than in the surviving guys' voices. Nostalgia...

Hey, if not for that 'something', Foskett would be singing lead, not Brian.

Music is mythos, what's wrong with that? I'd like to know, 'cause here I go again.....

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »

Why not just cut and paste individual words from their 60s vocal sessions, then put them together into the words of the new songs, pitch-corrected to the appropriate new parts. Then stack 'em in whatever harmonies float your boat so it all works. There's that magic everyone loves so much.

Could they do that? Wink
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »

Hey, if not for that 'something', Foskett would be singing lead, not Brian.

Music is mythos, what's wrong with that? I'd like to know, 'cause here I go again.....

There's more to Brian's ability to do leads than just nostalgia. I can't have nostalgia--I wasn't there for any of the old days--and I still love some of Brian's modern singing. Sometimes creaks and near misses can be endearing, emotive, expressive, etc. Other times they just f*** up an otherwise perfect harmony, so Midnight's Another Day sounds good and Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl sucks. So Tom Waits and Bob Dylan are great. And so on.

Nothing wrong with the many aspects of music that make it what it is. Just don't pretend everyone gets or wants the same thing out of it that you do. We've all got our own alchemic brew. But if you add Bruce and Mike and Al to Brian, you may as well add the cheerleaders and do Kokomo, 'cause you're fucking it up for me.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »

Could they do that? Wink

I know you're kidding, but actually, yes. It would sound stupid, though. Too many different inflections on words and so on. Think of those recordings on telephone systems that say back to you "You entered 1 - 2 -3 - 4 ..." and how awkward it all sounds.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »

Hey man, when you gave your opinion that Mike, Al and Bruce's vocals are worthless these days, I read it as just that, not that you were imposing anything or screwing up anyone's enjoyment of anything.

Now, I'd apreciate if you returned the courtesy, concerning my opinion about Brian's vocals.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »

Hahaha. Are you being (and taking this) serious? I understand the implications of what I say. I'm just fucking around. But obviously, there's no real courtesy for me to return, since neither you or I have the ability to produce the thing we're saying we wish would happen. We're helpless message board posters, totally irrelevant other than to argue stupid minutiae. You're more than welcome to your opinion, obviously. But life (and boards) would be pretty boring if we started every post with a disclaimer saying "while I respect the opinions of everyone else here, even recognizing the fact that they may differ from mine, and while..." (you get the idea.)

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »

Luther, you're totally ok in my book, I just thought your last post was a bit harsh, basically the 'pretend' bit.

My bad, I should have just let it go. Peace.

RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 12:14:23 AM »

I wanna hear the Beach Boys.

you can't, unfortunately.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »

On the other hand, that might be a small slap in the face to Brian's band, who put in the work learning and developing their parts. 

bit of an understatement, I think.

Scott did a lot more than "develop their parts" - its been amazing how little credit he seems to be getting - not just lyrics.

TLOS was a group effort and should be kept as far away from Mike as possible!

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 03:33:30 AM »

Brian's band sure does have better voices on purely a technical leval, but I am a Beach Boys fan. I want to hear their voices even if they aren't near their prime. There is something about hearing them together that cannot be replaced.

Couldn't agree more.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 07:23:59 AM »

I don't care if their voices suck, I just want to see them together again! I didn't become a Beach Boys fan until this decade, but I've seen countless youtube and that's enough to make me "nostalgic". Oh, how I wish Carl were still alive.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 07:55:47 AM »

As was mentioned above, some of Brian's best albums have been written and recorded by Brian and a collaborator, and then the guys were brought in to lay down their vocals. Little Deuce Coupe, Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and to a lesser extent, Love You, would fall into this category. So TLOS would be nothing new. Scott would be filling the role of Roger Christian, Tony Asher, Van Dyke Parks, and maybe Carl Wilson on a lot of the later stuff.

There isn't much of a chance that TLOS will become a Beach Boys album. It should but it won't. And it pains me to say why. When and if the Beach Boys ever re-unite to record another album, Mike Love will INSIST on being the Executive Producer, and he will INSIST on contributing lyrics. I'm not sure that would fly with the rest of the guys. And I'm not sure Mike would be the best person for those roles.

Mike will never trust Brian again, so Mike has to be the Executive Producer. Mike will not allow another Smiley Smile or  Love You to happen again. And the way Brian prematurely wrapped up his "work" on 15 Big Ones, Love You, and L.A., well, Mike didn't forget that.

Also, Mike firmly believes that he can sit down with Brian and rekindle the old magic. This opportunity was taken away from Mike a long time ago and I don't think he's ever gotten over it. I think Mike is longing for the day that he gets another shot.  
What he said. Exactly.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:36 AM »

I really have no emotional attachment to those "other guys".

I do.

Those guys are more than just Brian's backing musicians.  To me they are heroes in the part they played in Brian's triumph of overcoming his demons with touring again and then releasing SMiLE...to great acclaim.  Watch Darian's after-show interview on the DVD from the SMiLE premiere and you can see how much emotion he has invested in the music and I think that counts for something.

I love the Beach Boys...but without Denny and Carl I am a fan of Brian first.  However, a re-union of somekind, with genuine good feeling and peace between all involved would be nice to see.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx