gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:48:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Won't You Tell Me, Where Is She?  (Read 6865 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:53:26 PM »

so. i was reading my badman book and the carlin book and i thought about 3 things.

first off, what is the story of "won't you tell me"? the badman book says its written by brian and murry and i think it says something about it not being a beach boys tune. well anyways, judging by brian and carl (?) on it, i'm assuming it was.....so what was the deal, and why wasn't it considered for inclusion on any album, its a pretty nice, sweet tune.

then onto "where is she?".  it was mentioned in the badman book, and sparingly around other places. whats the story with that song? hass a boot ever popped up of it? i'm really unaware of ever hearing about that song through the years. i think i've seen it described as "haunting." however, i'm guessing it must be somehow incomplete, as not much of a fuss has ever been made about it.

then lastly, what was up with "gimme some lovin/baby i need your lovin"? i read in the carlin book that it was worked on in 71/72 but then in the leaf book and i think the badman book it says something about 76/77. i'm just wondering to what extent it was ever done. it sounds quite interesting from sandlers description.

anyways, thanks guys.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »

A very rough demo of "Where Is She" was played at the Stomp convention yeasterday (29th).

Interestingly, also played was a much, much cleaner copy of the Dutch tape which excited so much discussion as to whether it was Brian or Alan. Having now heard it in much better fidelity, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

It's Alan.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 10:01:41 AM »

which makes me curious....

was the rough demo of Where Is She - even as a demorecording - as haunting as described in Badman's book?

I should really go to a Stomp meeting again....must have been 10+ years ago I went there for the (first and) last time...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 10:06:24 AM »

Which makes me wonder....is there another band in Rock and Roll that has 2 members (Brian and Al) who are not related and yet sound so much the same ,on lead vocals no less , to the point that experts who have listened countless times still have debates over it?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »

Wouldn't call it haunting. It's basically a keyboard, rhythm box and Brian singing very high. Got potential, but very rough.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »

to the point that experts who have listened countless times still have debates over it?

Well, you also have to consider how good these 'experts' ears really are. Anyone remember the 'God Only Knows 2007' video debate? LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »

so. i was reading my badman book and the carlin book and i thought about 3 things.

first off, what is the story of "won't you tell me"? the badman book says its written by brian and murry and i think it says something about it not being a beach boys tune. well anyways, judging by brian and carl (?) on it, i'm assuming it was.....so what was the deal, and why wasn't it considered for inclusion on any album, its a pretty nice, sweet tune.

To copy from an earlier reply I posted:
I don't believe the BB's version of "Won't You Tell Me" got any further than the rough Carl and Brian demo heard on a couple of boots, and to quote from the liner notes of the definitive Sunrays 3-CD set:
Rick Henn: "Murry wrote 'Won't You Tell Me' for the BB's a few years after The Sunrays broke up, and he asked me if I would arrange it for him and cut a demo. After I finished working out the band and vocal arrangement we booked a session at Sunset in Hollywood. Just as we were cutting the tracks who should show up but his son, Dennis. My immediate thought was "Oh God, here we go. He's going to move in and start changing the charts and make my life miserable". Quite to my surprise and relief he was very gracious and simply said "Gee Rick, I love the chords, I like what you're doing with the bass line, but I want to try something ...". I said "sure Dennis, let's give it a shot".
He had us record some guitars and piano rolling chords down one octave than usual with the tape machine at half speed and then when we played it back at normal speed it shot everything back up an octave and gave it a simmering mandolin/string bowed tremelo effect in the background. When Murry heard it he went through the roof; he just LOVED it and remarked "ooooh ... the strings!" He was so proud of what his son had done for his song. Then Dennis, Marty DiGiovanni, Don Ralke, Ray Pohlman and myself went on to do the vocals. Murry poured his heart out writing that song because at that time he was worried for his sons because they were having trouble getting a chart record ..."
... this version appears on the afore-said Sunrays set "Vintage Rays" ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

"Interestingly, also played was a much, much cleaner copy of the Dutch tape which excited so much discussion as to whether it was Brian or Alan. Having now heard it in much better fidelity, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind."

Which tape is this?  Is this the one which circulated a while back of Brian singing that French tune... "Daddy dear, daddy dear, is the world really round"?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 04:36:07 PM »

That's the one - except it's Alan.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 05:32:18 PM »

I still think it's Brian. 3D

To me the give away is when he talks in between the verse "and then it goes..." etc.

--
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »

Oh snap...has anybody actually asked  Al   if it was him singing or Brian?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 06:05:02 PM »

Oh snap...has anybody actually asked  Al   if it was him singing or Brian?

I was going to, but he left the room. I think he's in the kitchen grabbing me a beer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »

Come to think of it, he's not back yet. "Al, where's my effin' BEER?!"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »

He left it at the bus stop...

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 09:51:08 PM »

Oh you guys!

--
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 12:31:22 AM »

to the point that experts who have listened countless times still have debates over it?

Well, you also have to consider how good these 'experts' ears really are. Anyone remember the 'God Only Knows 2007' video debate? LOL

Dead Horse So true!  Grin (and it *was* Bruce)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 02:17:06 AM »

Wouldn't call it haunting. It's basically a keyboard, rhythm box and Brian singing very high. Got potential, but very rough.

I don't have my Badman book with me here at work (!), so when does this date from?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 03:46:19 AM »

1069/70.

pendletone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 05:03:39 AM »

1069/70.

this always happens to me as well Wink the 9... Wink
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 06:44:10 AM »

1069/70.

Significantly earlier than I'd have guessed!

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »

1069/70.

this always happens to me as well Wink the 9... Wink

I just assumed it was a very early recording...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »

Which makes me wonder....is there another band in Rock and Roll that has 2 members (Brian and Al) who are not related and yet sound so much the same ,on lead vocals no less , to the point that experts who have listened countless times still have debates over it?

It's funny, I had an argument with a guy on wikipedia about this very thing.  He was saying that anybody that was familiar with the group could tell their voices apart, then proceeded to give me an example where he got them confused himself.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 08:28:42 PM »

And I STILL think it's Al singing the choruses in "Breakaway"...I just listened to his "Live In Las Vegas" album yesterday, and he sings that same part, sounding just the record.  I can't remember if he sang it when he did it with Brian last year & early this year, but I can sure check.  'Course, that doesn't PROVE he sang it on the record...but I think he did...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 08:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Andrew G. Doe
1069/70.

Andrew, you've gotta watch out for those Normans!  LOL

Quote from: c-man
And I STILL think it's Al singing the choruses in "Breakaway"

It sounds like Al to me too.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:34:56 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
gfx