gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 03:53:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photos or film shot during GV session?  (Read 2559 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

Upon listening to one session of the song Brian clearly tells someone called "Bob" that during the recording the camera cannot operate as it will make too much noise. Have these photos or film ever surfaced, and if so, does anyone know which ones they may be from the numerous ones made available on Beautiful Dreamer and Endless Harmony?
XY
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:09:38 PM »

Yeah, that footage is right up there with the Inside Pop reels (cough).
There was some speculation on this board in the past about who this Bob might be. Bob Gordon?
It's clearly a film camera, because you can hear it start and stop rollin' on the session tape. So there's film of a GV instrumental session somewhere waiting to be discovered, the only Brian/Wrecking Crew footage, with soundtrack on the session tape.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:44:14 AM »

You know Jasper- I found evidence of a very interesting film- a Hit Parader reporter (Don Paulsen) was backstage with the BBs on Feb 13 1965 in NYC- Brian was there in place of Glen and a German film crew was filming the group for a German documentary on the group!
Talk about the holy grail of BB footage- imagine film of the group with Brian onstage and backstage in 1965! I'd pay abit to see that. Of course- who knows if any of this film exists
XY
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:03:07 AM »

Ok Ian, you're putting me on. Thank you.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:03:05 AM »

Paulsen specifically mentions the film crew and there is a photo where you can see them filming
XY
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

Really? Sorry, but all this German made me a bit sceptical. LOL
At this point the boys had only three singles in the German charts ("Fun, Fun, Fun" #49 - "I Get Around" #38 & "Little Honda" #44). But in April, Today!-Album made it to #14, followed by their top 10 debut with "Help Me, Rhonda". So the promotion machine was started around that time.

Do you know if they filmed portions of the concert or just interviews and backstage stuff? And was it done for TV?
A very intersting document for sure. There seems to be miles of BB footage lying around in TV archives, unfortunately they often don't know how important that material is.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 07:24:18 AM »

well they had done some German promotion in Nov 64- they were in Munich, Berlin and Frankfurt- though they played no concerts - I am still waiting for someone to find some actual dates they were there- a newspaper article about it would be great- I assume Mike's arrest didn't make the German papers
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:17 PM »

"I assume Mike's arrest didn't make the German papers"

Mike got arrested in the 60s?  I didn't know about this...
XY
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:51:06 PM »

BTW Ian, do you know more about Brian's 1966 solo appearance(s) on KHJ-TV's "Boss City"?

Boss City was a dance show by 'The Real Don Steele'. Brian presented his solo single "Caroline No" there, sitting at a piano with kids around him, miming to the record.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:52:30 PM by Jasper » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »

In reply to the two previous posts- 1) The story of Mike's run in with police in Munich was recounted by the group in the unedited version of the 1965 Bull Session With The Big Daddy. Earl Leaf gave a more racy version for a 1971 interview.  Don't know if Mike was formally charged with any crime- but he was briefly detained.  According to Mike in the Bull Session he paid a 150 fine for breaking a windshield.  2) The 66 Boss City-with Brian- I have heard of it- but its another show for which there is no exact date- probably very difficult to find one either. Probably around the time the single was released?
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »

I love reading about this type of thing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx