gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 05:16:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New "Warmth Of The Sun" Compilation  (Read 16743 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 11:35:08 PM »

I'm very glad that "All This Is That" made it over "Marcella".  In all my 16 years as a fan, "God Only Knows" has been my favorite song, but I do believe that "All This Is That" claims that spot now.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »

Take out:

1. Then I Kissed Her
2. Disney Girls
3. Friends
5. Feel Flows
6. All This Is That
7. Don't Go Near The Water

Computer Smash!

youre nuts!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »

Only Don't Go Near The Water and California Dreaming are crap. Caroline, No and You Still Believe In Me should replace them.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 08:05:19 AM »

I'd take Don't Go Near the Water over It's Okay any day.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 08:08:38 AM »

Wonder if Al, Bruce and Dave have a vote.

Yes, yes, and no.

The sequencing was a committe job.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 10:39:52 AM »

Quote from: Sheriff John Stone
Take out:
5. Feel Flows

HERESY, I say! "Feel Flows" is one of my top ten BB songs and one of my all-time faves. Hhhmmmph!!

Razz

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 11:28:46 AM »

I'd take Don't Go Near the Water over It's Okay any day.

In my opinion, It's OK 's lyrics aren't anywhere near as embarassing as Don't Go Near The Water, and Denny's "Find A Ride" is much more palatable than Al's ridiculously oversung, jivey section on "...Water".
Wilsonista
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 12:40:01 PM »

Take out:

1. Then I Kissed Her
2. Disney Girls
3. Friends
4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
5. Feel Flows
6. All This Is That
7. Don't Go Near The Water

If "BWPS is a fraud" didn't convince me that you are crazy, then "take out 'Friends"" just did!!!!! Shocked
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" (just to PLEASE Mike), "Friends" (pretty but not a classic), "Feel Flows" (overrated), "All This Is That" (nice but not great).

But LOOK at what I'm replacing them with - "Caroline, No", "Our Prayer", "Cabinessence", "This Whole World" - Brian's music, no ANY MUSIC doesn't get any better than that, including the songs on Sounds Of Summer Vol. 1.  police
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »

Hey Sheriiff, where did you get my High School picture from for your avatar??
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

Hey Sheriiff, where did you get my High School picture from for your avatar??

Grin
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »

"Don't Go Near The Water" seems a little quirky to include, but it's an interesting sample from those years and  that ending harmony does the trick.

I could definitely do without the covers: "Why Do Fools...", "Then I Kissed Her", and "California Dreamin'".  I'm sure the stereo "Kissed Her" will sound nice, but not convinced it's worth it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 02:08:02 PM »

One thing I question about this is the intent. It doesn't seem like an album designed for a particular "crowd" of Beach Boys fans, nor does it seem to be targeting a specific group of non-fans as an introduction. This might be a Mike Love kind of idea here, but rather than just releasing and re-releasing largely the same music people already have, it might make more sense to try to do a purposeful collection.

For example, a collection could feature the soulful, sometimes trippy sounds of the early 70s, or the pastoral sounds of the Friends kind of music, etc. And of course you can always do the best car songs, surf songs, etc., which I'm sure they've already done a hundred times (I know I've seen them, although I am not into that and don't have any). To my way of thinking, those sorts of collections would make sense, and could be marketed more specifically to people other than just uber-fans (the way things like Hawthorne are) and the general public (Sounds of Summer, BW Selects classics, etc).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

Frist of all, let's face it, Sounds of Summer sold well so this compilation is about MAKING MONEY by producing a followup.  Unfortunately the song collection isn't as solid as Sounds of Summer, but perhaps the collective that put together the track list was thinking about exposing the more casual fans that bought Sounds of Summer to album tracks that could lead them to buy Sunflower/Surf's Up/Holland/15 Big Ones etc, which have never sold in the numbers the Capitol album rereleases have.  I might have chosen different tracks to represent those albums, but I bet the intent was to generate interest in the post Capitol catalogue.

Any release that features new stereo mixes from Today and Summer Days is a must buy on my list - I wish there had been more!  And more stereo remixes from Wild Honey - how come Darlin and Wild Honey (and Rhonda and When I Groy Up and Do You Wanna Dance) weren't remixed to stereo for Sounds of Summer?  How about a remixed edition of Sounds of Summer to accompany Warmth of the Sun?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »

The question is, will this sell?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wilsonista
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" (just to PLEASE Mike), "Friends" (pretty but not a classic), "Feel Flows" (overrated), "All This Is That" (nice but not great).

But LOOK at what I'm replacing them with - "Caroline, No", "Our Prayer", "Cabinessence", "This Whole World" - Brian's music, no ANY MUSIC doesn't get any better than that, including the songs on Sounds Of Summer Vol. 1.  police

Friends - "pretty, but not a classic"HuhHuh??  What  are you on, anyway?HuhHuh
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »

yeah dude, youre nuts!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 05:39:32 PM »

OK, Rob and Joe, you think I'm wrong in pulling "Friends" off the tracklist. That's cool. I respect your opinions. And I'm not gonna say you're "nuts" or ask you "what your on". 

But this I will ask you both: Do you think "Friends" is a better song/record/representative - put in your own word, you know what I mean - than "Caroline No", "Our Prayer", "Cabinessence", or "This Whole World"? And those were the songs I suggested to replace it. You would choose "Friends" over those?
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »

To be honest, I think the Beach Boys' version of "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is one of the best, if not THE best, covers of anything by anybody, anywhere.  The first time I heard it - many, many,many years ago (during the Johnson administration) that acapella break gave me chills.  It still gets me every time I hear it.
MBE
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »

Gotta side with Boyd on this one. I like Friends a lot too, I think Caroline No is better as well as This Whole World. but Cabinessence and Our Prayer aren't the type of thing that go on comps. They are great but not really for casual fans.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 07:54:32 PM »

I agree with others, Why Do Fools Fall In Love and California Dreamin???  I don't think the Beach Boys versions of either of these songs are gonna turn anyone onto them, especially WDFFIL Great vocals...but just not now in 2007! It should have stayed where it belonged , on  that album and the back of FFF. (Thanks Mike and Bruce for resurrecting that one)  Big Sur might have fit nice after Don't Go Near The Water?? Nothing from Love You??? Goin On, I would have liked to see? Somewhere Near Japan..one of the best later songs! Those early 60s albums have some better gems than WDFFIL!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »

Whoa, why is 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'  getting the shaft by so many? That one is easily the Beach Boys' greatest cover song, with the exception of 'Sloop John B.' In fact, I argue that the BBs version of that song blows the original away (and I do LOVE the original)! Brian's vocal is just incredible, and the track is an early example of his love of Spector. Classic in every way. I naturally included WDFFIL on my own best of volume 1 compilation. One of the greatest songs on Shut Down, volume 2.

And 'Friends'? Beautiful song. Better than 'Caroline, No', 'Our Prayer', 'Cabinessence', or 'This Whole World'? No, but so what? Hits comps are really put out to draw in the neophytes. Those two SMiLE songs are better for the new listener to discover for his/herself, like I did. I didn't expect to have any SMiLE tracks to appear on Endless Summer when I first bought it as my own personal Cliff's Notes to accompany and give a wider understanding for my countless listens to Pet Sounds, when I first discovered it nearly 8 years ago. I got to discover those songs courtesy of the GV box. So, as far as presenting "just the facts, ma'am", I don't see why SMiLE tracks need apply there. Now, 'Caroline, No' and 'This Whole World' should be on that new best of comp; I always include 'em on my personal best of compilations that I made. SMiLE tracks, however, have no place on 'em (except the '67 single of H&V and '71 'Surf's Up', but that's quite different).

Whew, what a rant. Where'd that come from?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:10:18 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2007, 03:20:55 AM »

To be honest, I think the Beach Boys' version of "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is one of the best, if not THE best, covers of anything by anybody, anywhere.  The first time I heard it - many, many,many years ago (during the Johnson administration) that acapella break gave me chills.  It still gets me every time I hear it.

Alan, will it be the single-version we'll hear on WOTS or the album version? I think the first one isn't available anywhere legally.

EDIT: Hope the liner notes will be better this time and Blondie and Ricky will be mentioned as "Beach Boys" since they are even to be heard.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:48:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2007, 06:35:09 AM »

I'm shocked by how many people don't like 'WDFFIL'. I think it's a great cover, and just a good song in general. I've always loved their version...one of my favorite covers of all time.

PS: I love 'Friends'. I don't think it's necessarily out of place on the compilation. It's a good representation of what they were doing at that time in their career.
XY
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2007, 07:19:32 AM »

I'm shocked by how many people don't like 'WDFFIL'. I think it's a great cover, and just a good song in general. I've always loved their version...one of my favorite covers of all time.

Just want to add that on my ranking I gave WDFFIL a 2/10 in context of this compilation. There is enough very good original material for such a release IMO. WDFFIL is a great song and fantastic cover, better than the original.

@Summer_Days: Great avatar!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 07:21:21 AM by Jasper » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx