gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:17:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Speaking of the good things that life has to give..."  (Read 1414 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2020, 04:23:13 AM »

While we're waiting for new infos about "Feel Flows", check out what nice stuff was posted on youtube recently:

The Beach Boys - Friends Acapella Snippet (News Broadcast/Press Conference?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMOtru6zI8

The Beach Boys - Eastern Airlines Commercial (1971)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveNEgU5S1Q

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 05:04:53 AM »

There was a big blitz on AMC back when the Endless Harmony doc came out, and they were rotating rare BB clips between programs. These were two of them.

That second clip features the alternate tag of This Whole World that was allegedly going to be on the Feel Flows box... Sad
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 07:37:07 AM »

Yes, those were part of the AMC "Am Pop" series which aired that summer. They'd do beach movies, then run various music clips in between, and those were a part of the collection. AMC also aired a full hour block of the music clips as one compilation, again including those above.

In past years there have been some great discussions on this board about those clips and the origins. If anyone is interested in learning more about them, and what else was aired on AMC, search the archives here, and if I can find all the good discussions I'll try to post links. Ed Roach described how he found that Eastern Airlines clip, and that is part of a longer commercial with even more music. That talk show clip was also discussed pretty extensively, but wow what a cool clip from the Friends era. I used to have a list of what Am Pop ran, and I have the whole thing on VHS. There was one that stuck out but not in a good way lol..."Muscle Bustle" sung by Dick Dale and Donna Loren.

So those clips hold a special place for me as a fan. I remember I came home late on a Saturday night from bar-hopping (I was not driving that night), turned on the TV and AMC happened to be on. Within a few minutes the Good Vibrations video came on the screen. I was literally flabbergasted, I had never seen it and didn't know it existed. I tried to grab a blank VHS and start recording, but it was almost over. Then I checked the listings for the next time they would be airing these clips...and I swore I recorded it, but going back later I couldn't find it. I was a VHS pack-rat, I had way too many of them. I purged a lot of them about 12 years ago, just left them out for the taking, but I still have multiple boxes full of them packed away. But I could never find that Am Pop recording with the GV promo film.

I tried contacting AMC directly multiple times asking about the Am Pop series and where or if I could buy a copy, and they either didn't reply or didn't have anything to offer. Then I discovered some of the BB's groups on Yahoo, and the Smile Shop, and posted a few want ads. Fortunately a fan who is still on this board came through, and if I recall I sent a full copy of "Inside Pop" in return for the Am Pop compilation and a few other goodies that come and go from YouTube every so often. Many, many thanks to that fan who hooked me up with what was a probably still is one of my favorite BB's videos of all time, that 1966 GV promo film.

Good memories of some great BB film.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »

The Beach Boys - Friends Acapella Snippet (News Broadcast/Press Conference?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMOtru6zI8
Love this! Has a gentler feel than the studio version, almost sounds more like the Meant For You intro. Really pretty.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx