gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Campfire Acoustic Session :Endless Summer TV Series  (Read 16082 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »

It’s only taken 30 years but someone has put the campfire sessions together in a very watchable clip. Enjoy now in case it’s taken down.
Thank you Dan Thomas Music.

https://youtu.be/8bAg73OBicg
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »

Hell of a find! I love when Brian mentions Looking Back With Love.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:26:20 PM by Love Thang » Logged
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »

At which part? Can't seem to find it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »

7.30 in. Click on the info arrow and the sequence is listed.

Interesting to note that Brian, despite being deep into the Landy years, is controlling the occasion. Calling the tunes, key etc. Probably as  he was in the studio in the 60s.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:57:31 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 10:32:24 PM »

Yeah, it's interesting that Brian brought up Lookin Back with Love in the context of  reminding Mike of his cover of "Be My Baby."   That cover featured overdubs on top of a cut that Brian and Mike did together in 1980.  IIRC, the story was that Brian received no credit for the released track. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 10:33:36 PM »

7.30 in. Click on the info arrow and the sequence is listed.

Interesting to note that Brian, despite being deep into the Landy years, is controlling the occasion. Calling the tunes, key etc. Probably as  he was in the studio in the 60s.
There are times during the Landy years where he seems alright. And other times, like the Diane Sawyer interview, where he's not quite all there.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »

I always thought it was fascinating watching the "All I Have To Do Is Dream" section. Brian starts with a low bass part, and Carl practically yells at him "Nooo! F!".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 02:20:23 AM »

Starring an angry Ted Danson as Brian

dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 02:30:48 AM »

Wonderful. Loved watching that. Great how they all seemed at one with each other.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:04:52 AM »

The Endless Summer TV Show, from which this session comes from, is also uploaded on youtube. Check out this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/whitesnake2618/videos

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:14:01 AM »

Wonderful! Only wish I could have heard more from Carl.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 07:03:41 AM »

It's nice to get this stuff out there surviving on YouTube. While an official release even of just the BB footage would be extremely unlikely under any circumstances for all of the obvious reasons, in this case it's *extra* unlikely as apparently all of the master videotapes for this show (presumably both raw footage and finished episode masters) were destroyed in a fire (or some such disaster) years ago.

So unless local TV stations that syndicated the show still have their 30-year-old videotape masters, the only source left for this show is fan-made off-air VHS tapes.

The campfire stuff is obviously the most interesting of the BB segments. The "Club Kokomo" bits were mimed to pre-recorded tracks. The BBs also occasionally appeared in other segments; I recall one where they sat with some random band (that I'm guessing didn't go on to stardom) and giving them "advice" as they rehearsed. And then of course the centerpiece was the live '89 concert footage. The band was rather on autopilot mode by this point in 1989, but I wouldn't scoff at a full-length pro-shot show from 1989.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:06:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 07:11:37 AM »

I recall one where they sat with some random band (that I'm guessing didn't go on to stardom) and giving them "advice" as they rehearsed.

Yes!! Brian's advice for them how to be able to keep together as a band for so long was "Just don't hang out together"   Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »

The campfire stuff is obviously the most interesting of the BB segments. The "Club Kokomo" bits were mimed to pre-recorded tracks. The BBs also occasionally appeared in other segments; I recall one where they sat with some random band (that I'm guessing didn't go on to stardom) and giving them "advice" as they rehearsed. And then of course the centerpiece was the live '89 concert footage. The band was rather on autopilot mode by this point in 1989, but I wouldn't scoff at a full-length pro-shot show from 1989.

It's notable that the "Still Cruisin'" acoustic version has dated much, much better than whatever this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbMTDLFOjA
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 11:30:06 AM »

It's always made me feel a bit uncomfortable seeing the weird constant rocking back and forth Brian does during the campfire scenes. His high voice was in great shape during this time though!

I've always wondered why the brief campfire scene show in Endless Harmony(or was it An American Band?) is in such terrible quality.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »

I’d have to pull out my book to get the exact quote but I have a comment by Bruce in there -where he says the show basically was pretty lame but that the campfire segment was fantastic and reminded him of the good old days. I agree with him. It’s a shame the good vibes on that day didn’t lead to anything between Brian and the others at that time
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 01:26:22 PM »

The Landy stuff aside, getting Brian back semi-reintegrated with the group for some of that ’89 TV show was one of several examples of how it often takes some third party and some cash and a specific plan to get the guys to all do something together. In ’89, they probably got a nice little deal for supplying that show all that content for their little summer syndication package. On the creative side, it gave them a reason/goal for being together.

Similar thing happened in 2012; Joe Thomas was the guy in that case with the cash and the plan. I have little doubt even smaller events like the SiriusXM thing was down to Jerry Schilling pitching it to them.

I don’t harp much on prospective reunions anymore, I think the band may have missed the window for doing something as substantive as the 2012 reunion. But it’s interesting to see how they (and many other artists for that matter) don’t always sit around devising fully-realized projects (and finding the money) to get back together. It takes someone else to motivate some aspect of it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:06:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »

I’d have to pull out my book to get the exact quote but I have a comment by Bruce in there -where he says the show basically was pretty lame but that the campfire segment was fantastic and reminded him of the good old days. I agree with him. It’s a shame the good vibes on that day didn’t lead to anything between Brian and the others at that time

It's funny, because at least the *Beach Boys* portions of all of those episodes (live show, mimed "Club" performances, the campfire stuff) were some of the least embarrassing things the band did in the visual medium in the mid-late-80s-90s time frame.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 03:48:19 PM »

When watching this, I can't help but keep wondering if Landy is lurking literally *just* off camera. He must have been there in close proximity, I would think, right? I don't think Landy would have delegated that to one of Brian's other minders; I'd tend to think Landy himself would want to be there for a network TV appearance.

Several questions:

- Can anyone ID some of the people in the campfire "audience"? I know some (or all?) of Al's kids are there, as well as Billy Hinsche and Jeff Foskett. Not sure I can ID anyone else. I'm guessing some of the women were band members' girlfriends (?), and possibly some of the kids were the friends of BBs' own children. On the other hand, maybe some of them were extras to pad out the feel of the audience?

- Where were these scenes filmed? The poor video quality makes it hard to really tell if this is staged on a studio, or actually on some little private beach, and if so, which beach?

- Brian does look happy and comfortable, and it's sweet to see what appears to be Brian's own genuine love and camaraderie with his bandmates shining through, particularly in such a weird and creepy (behind the scenes) era for him. It's like that BBs band camaraderie stuff runs deep and comes back to him, despite any bad blood with Mike and others... when Brian got back into the groove of hanging around them with some guitars being played, their old early/mid '60s relationships (at least on the surface) just seemed to reappear for a brief moment, despite lots of water under the bridge.

In fact, when watching this (in direct contrast to some unnervingly weird Brian solo footage from the time involving no other BBs members), it makes sense how Brian "wanted to be a Beach Boy again" in 2012, and how much it was a real bummer to be edged out of the band. Brian clearly, despite any dysfunctional and unhealthy relationships with some members, gets something positive out of being with those guys. It's just like riding a bike. For better or worse, it seemed that Brian was shining when around his old mates.

- I can't help but think that this must have reminded the band of the Party! album sessions. Even though I guess those were actually done in a studio, the whole "sitting around playing acoustic guitar and goofing off" vibe seemed to very much be a direct link to at least what the Party! album attempted to create, however artificially. Especially with all the partially-played, aborted covers.  In a weird sense, I see a through line from the Party! album >  Smiley Smile (a psychedelic, raw, goofy but complex updated version of Party!) > the 1989 Campfire sessions.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:08:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 03:49:43 PM »

I also find Brian's rocking and back and forth and the look in his eyes disturbing.  He doesn't say anything crazy but he definitely looks and acts off.  Landy's medication regime perhaps?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »

It is a HILARIOUS moment. I do give credit to Mike for playing it off in a jokey way, although what else was he going to do. You can't help but laugh (in a good way, actually) at how they both handled that. It's maybe the only time an undeniably embarrassing release by a member of the band got referenced/called out by another band member so many years after the fact, in a public way like that.  Even though "Be My Baby" was probably one of the best songs off that album.

I have to say I kinda like some of LBWL as a guilty pleasure. I'd hate to think of what Campfire conversational topics would have to take place for Brian to have brought up "Rocking the Man in the Boat"  LOL

Maybe that Campfire "Be My Baby" ball busting moment is Brian's unofficial sequel to "Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson".

I guess the fact that Mike straight up said on tape (I'm paraphrasing) during the Campfire Sessions that he wanted Looking Back With Love to be completely forgotten lends credence to the theory that Mike himself might be behind the reason why Summer in Paradise (the album) is today completely out of print, both digitally and physically.  Embarrassing officially-released moments, simply write them out of history and hope everyone forgets.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:26:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »

- Can anyone ID some of the people in the campfire "audience"? I know some (or all?) of Al's kids are there, as well as Billy Hinsche and Jeff Foskett. Not sure I can ID anyone else. I'm guessing some of the women were band members' girlfriends (?), and possibly some of the kids were the friends of BBs' own children. On the other hand, maybe some of them were extras to pad out the feel of the audience?

Is Mike Meros sitting behind the little girls that are dancing by the fire?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 05:36:35 PM »

I think so. I believe Ed Carter is there, and I think some of the girls were the touring cheerleaders.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »

I also find Brian's rocking and back and forth and the look in his eyes disturbing.  He doesn't say anything crazy but he definitely looks and acts off.  Landy's medication regime perhaps?

Yep, the rocking and "eyes open too wide" look were probably side effects of Landy's overmedication.  Overall, though, he was acting relatively normal.  Loved his "blah blah blah" lyrics at one point. Hilarious.  Despite all his turmoil during that period, his humor couldn't be supressed.  Also, anyone else notice who was the first person to worry that the little girl was getting too close to the fire? Yep, Brian as the conscientious adult in the group. Go figure.

You know, way back in 1995ish when Don Was was plugging his documentary, he appeared on Conan O'Brien's show, and something he said always struck me as very true.  He said something to the effect of "Everything I can say about Brian, I can also say the opposite thing.  And it'd also be true."  So much "conventional wisdom" about BW turns out to collapse under close scrutiny.  "Sweet Insanity" era Brian was supposedly this Landy-controlled zombie.  Yet, here he is in May 1989 acting relatively normal, singing with the group, to some extent leading the group, and spinning anecdotes about Mike's '49 Chevy's windshield, etc.  The same is true for the July 1990 hotel tape.  He's tough to pigeonhole.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »

This special is fascinating for so many reasons.

They hid Jeff for most of it.

Al seemed to get annoyed at Brian for being off-key a couple of times.

Mike's lyric recall is pretty amazing especially when you consider that Brian could barely remember the words to Be My Baby after all of the times he listened to it.

A very young Matt Jardine over Al's shoulder.

This is probably the most fun I've ever seen Brian have. It must have brought him back to the old days.

Brian being the only person concerned about the toddler dancing next to the fire was hilarious.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx