gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:05:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interview with Mike book collaborator James S. Hirsch  (Read 15703 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »

Hi All,

Recently I joined Pray for Surf podcaster Phil Miglioratti in interviewing author Jim Hirsch, who collaborated with Mike Love on Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy. He discusses his process working with Mike and we got into the current Beach Boys/Brian Wilson touring situation and the fallout from the 50th anniversary. We only scratched the surface and will do a part two next week. You can listen here: http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.ca/.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »

Much appreciation for conducting and posting the interview. I especially appreciate that you at least attempted to point out to Hirsch that, for all of the complaints, come the end of C50 Brian wanted to continue and Mike didn't, so it *was* Mike who was functionally the one who had to and could have made the decision to continue. Hirsch of course didn't really have an answer for this, I suppose eventually sort of admitting through process of elimination that functionally it was Mike who said no.

No fault of your own, but despite Hirsch saying at one point that he doesn't want to come across as a Mike surrogate, that's of course precisely what he is and how he speaks. He doesn't it very politely, and I wouldn't expect the co-author of Mike's book to be anything other than this.

It's disappointing that he tries to further the "people around Brian" thing. I think there's a tactful way to point out that all of these guys, and Brian perhaps sometimes more so, have a barrier around them, and that people around them can constrain relationships. But he continues the pattern of inadvertently if not directly likening all of the "people around Brian" through his life to each other. Melinda isn't the same as Landy. Heck, even Murry wasn't the same as Landy.

Also still perplexed (though I guess not surprised) that both Mike and Hirsch can't offer *any* explanation for what happened between Mike and Al in the late 90s. Both in the book and in this interview it amounts to "relationships are bound to crumble eventually; it was surprising it lasted that long." Yes, Mike in the book mentions the "Al trying to plan a tour behind my back" thing, but that seems minimal. Completely ignored is what Stebbins and Marks mention in their book regarding Al not wanting to be an employee of Mike's production company.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »

Much appreciation for conducting and posting the interview. I especially appreciate that you at least attempted to point out to Hirsch that, for all of the complaints, come the end of C50 Brian wanted to continue and Mike didn't, so it *was* Mike who was functionally the one who had to and could have made the decision to continue. Hirsch of course didn't really have an answer for this, I suppose eventually sort of admitting through process of elimination that functionally it was Mike who said no.

No fault of your own, but despite Hirsch saying at one point that he doesn't want to come across as a Mike surrogate, that's of course precisely what he is and how he speaks. He doesn't it very politely, and I wouldn't expect the co-author of Mike's book to be anything other than this.

It's disappointing that he tries to further the "people around Brian" thing. I think there's a tactful way to point out that all of these guys, and Brian perhaps sometimes more so, have a barrier around them, and that people around them can constrain relationships. But he continues the pattern of inadvertently if not directly likening all of the "people around Brian" through his life to each other. Melinda isn't the same as Landy. Heck, even Murry wasn't the same as Landy.

Also still perplexed (though I guess not surprised) that both Mike and Hirsch can't offer *any* explanation for what happened between Mike and Al in the late 90s. Both in the book and in this interview it amounts to "relationships are bound to crumble eventually; it was surprising it lasted that long." Yes, Mike in the book mentions the "Al trying to plan a tour behind my back" thing, but that seems minimal. Completely ignored is what Stebbins and Marks mention in their book regarding Al not wanting to be an employee of Mike's production company.

I suspect that it must have been determined to be too difficult to put any kind of positive "spin" on how Al was treated in the late '90s, so it's just ducked and avoided like so many questions by presidential candidates. It's frankly pretty obvious to me that glaring omissions are omitted because there's little wiggle room for a certain someone to come off as anything other than having largely acted in a pretty lame, power-hungry fashion. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:19:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »

I would imagine the idea that Al is still alive as are others and could easily refute things Mike said played a role in that.  Also, the threat of potential legal action might have affected that.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

That and maybe the fact that Al is a class act who doesn't hold a grudge?
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »

Hi All,

Recently I joined Pray for Surf podcaster Phil Miglioratti in interviewing author Jim Hirsch, who collaborated with Mike Love on Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy. He discusses his process working with Mike and we got into the current Beach Boys/Brian Wilson touring situation and the fallout from the 50th anniversary. We only scratched the surface and will do a part two next week. You can listen here: http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.ca/.

Mike states why/how the 2012 tour ended in his book… from his perspective.  Not sure how Mark asking the question would provide a new revelation.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »

Hi All,

Mike states why/how the 2012 tour ended in his book… from his perspective.  Not sure how Mark asking the question would provide a new revelation.

You've already received your Mike apologist credentials, no need to continue to flaunt them here.  Where does Mark say he is asking for a new revelation about the breakup of C50?  Mike discusses Manson in his book, does that mean asking questions about Manson is off limits for all future interviews?  If so, why didn't you step in and proclaim that as a useless question when it was under discussion a few weeks ago?  Is there a anything else in the book that future interviews shouldn't bother with?  Maybe his discussion of the hit single Kokomo that didn't involve cousin Brian?

Other than further cementing your status as a Mike apologist what value did you intend when making this comment?

EoL
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:17:02 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 07:58:02 PM »

Hi All,

Mike states why/how the 2012 tour ended in his book… from his perspective.  Not sure how Mark asking the question would provide a new revelation.

You've already received your Mike apologist credentials, no need to continue to flaunt them here.  Where does Mark say he is asking for a new revelation about the breakup of C50?  Mike discusses Manson in his book, does that mean asking questions about Manson is off limits for all future interviews?  If so, why didn't you step in and proclaim that as a useless question when it was under discussion a few weeks ago?  Is there a anything else in the book that future interviews shouldn't bother with?  Maybe his discussion of the hit single Kokomo that didn't involve cousin Brian?

Other than further cementing your status as a Mike apologist what value did you intend when making this comment?

EoL

You've got to get both books.  No collection is complete without them.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:59:17 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »

To Mark: Thank you for posting and linking to the interview. Good job as well on interjecting with some pertinent questions and clarifications during the interview itself.

I listened in full, and a few points made and comments stuck out enough for me to address them here. Perhaps some clarification or even just an addressing of some of these will follow in part 2 or even part 3, or here on the forum. I have listed some of Mr. Hirsch's comments with approximate times from the broadcast, as well as the relevant quotes themselves for reference. Both my own comments and questions will follow each quote, with relevant links or examples. Mr. Hirsch's comments are in italics:

7:10
I have not read Brian's book. I spent well over two years studying and researching Brian Wilson, one of the most fascinating figures in the history of pop music; I know Brian, and there's nothing in that book that I could learn about him that I don't already know. I would have loved to have sat down and spoken with him, and I tried to, but my requests were, well, they weren't even denied, they weren't even responded to. But I feel that I know Brian Wilson extremely well, and I really don't think I would learn anything in that book.

It's everyone's choice whether or not to read any book, but the reasoning given here, namely that there would be nothing "new" to learn about Brian in the new book couldn't be further from the truth. I'd definitely have read the book first before using this kind of rationale behind not reading it: The proof is in the pages of the book, there is indeed new info and more to learn about the man than has been revealed previously. There are also diehard fans who have read and researched everything they can get their hands on about the band in general, for decades beyond two years of research, who would most likely say as a consensus that they don't claim to know Brian or any of the band members based on research, reading, and the like.

18:50
You would think he (Brian) would want to embrace the family members he has left. I spent time with Mike's sister Maureen, and Mike's brother Stan. Now, Maureen and Brian were incredibly close when they were growing up, Maureen plays the harp, she played that instrument in a number of Brian's songs in the 60's. Stan was Brian's bodyguard, Stan is, you know, just loves Brian unconditionally. They are estranged from Brian Wilson. They cannot get to him.

They cannot get to him? Maybe a clarification would be in order. Maureen was just with Brian at his show earlier this month in Portland, and this is a photo that was taken of their meeting:

The photo is from 2006, but this is Stan, Brian, and Melinda watching Kevin Love at a basketball event when he was at UCLA:

According to people who were there, Stan was also backstage with Brian at the Hollywood Bowl show during the 50th anniversary tour. And Steve Love has said Brian was present at basketball games where Kevin was playing, in line with the photo above.

Speaking of Steve, I also found it a notable exclusion to the conversation not to mention Mike's brother Steve Love. Steve has been public about his issues with Mike, and in the past year wrote the following: "Yes, I am estranged from brother Mike. Believe me, I have my reasons."
I think there has to be a sharp line drawn between estrangement and suggesting there are efforts to lock people out entirely. There has been a lot of the latter, and as unfortunate as it may be to have a fractured family dynamic including estrangement between brothers, it's different from suggesting a plot to keep them separated and suggesting that for various reasons why certain people are not working together with others.

22:40
I think the schism between the two revolves more upon people who have surrounded Brian over the years, to be honest, I'm not taking Mike's side of the story, because I'm not in any way his shill
23:00
One of the insightful interviews I had was with the musician Carli Munoz...as Carli told me, what's tough about Brian is that throughout his adult life, he's always been behind a firewall. And you cannot get through that firewall. And there was time when the firewall was the bodyguards, there was time when it was his father, there was time when it was Landy, it was time when it was his conservator, now he's got other people who are there as his firewall.
(Phil) Now he's got Melinda, she's very much active in the production...
(Jim) Yeah
(Phil) ...and the executive end (?), dimensions...
(Jim) Yeah, Sure

Does the phrase "other people who are there as his firewall" refer to specific individuals? If so, who are these people? Or is it specifically his wife of 20 years, Melinda? If it is in fact supposed to be Melinda, I think it is in poor taste to put a man's wife of two decades in the same list with his conservator, bodyguards, and an ersatz "doctor" whose failings are well known, and suggest that's yet another issue "keeping people away" from Brian, whether personally or in terms of writing songs, or whatever else is at stake. Again, perhaps a clarification would be in order, because on the surface it doesn't come off very well on the very basis of putting issues of incompetence, and outright professional malpractice and quackery of the worst kind, on the same basis as a 20-year marriage.

24:00
Mark's question on the 50th reunion tour.

26:20
My point is, I think if it were just Mike and Brian, yes: They would go out on tour, absolutely. But there are too many people around them that will ensure that that does not happen.

Is this comment suggesting a two-way street in terms of making demands and concessions in order to facilitate such a joint tour, or is it again suggesting Brian is being kept away from touring with Mike by those around him? Strip the issue down to the basics, and what if Brian simply does not want to tour with Mike, what if Mike does not want to tour with Brian, and what if the organizational and operational demands coming from all sides would not or could not be agreed on to suit all parties? There are so many variables, perhaps many more than a suggestion that the people around them are more to blame.

27:32
The reality of the 50th anniversary tour was that it lost money on the domestic side, because the band was so big, the costs were too high, given the revenue that these concerts were generating. And the concern that Mike had going forward was that well, if we start not just losing money ourselves, but if our promoters are losing money, if the venues are losing money, then we're going to jeopardize the brand. And so those economic factors were very much a part of their concern

This information fascinated me as well as raised some questions, especially in terms of the numbers, so I went to probably the best industry resource for tour data and sales info, Pollstar. They list annually the top 200 domestic tours of each year, and also do mid-year updates on current tours. I will list direct links for anyone interested in the facts and figures behind these tours.

According to Pollstar's "Top 200 North American Tours" 2012 year end report http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2012/2012YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf, rounding off the numbers, The Beach Boys 50th tour in 2012 grossed 15 million dollars, playing 53 shows in 50 cities. Average ticket price $68, average tickets sold 4,400 (factoring in most venues were mid-level), total tickets sold 219,000 with an average gross of $300,000. That boils down to the band playing 11 weeks of domestic shows, with the five band members and ten backing band members. After Nicky Wonder left due to illness, it equates to a stage of 14 musicians in total, twice the size of Mike's current touring band with 7 or 8 musicians on stage most times.

Pollstar's 2013 Top 200 http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2013/2013YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf did not list the Beach Boys as having made the cut for the top 200.

Pollstar's 2014 Top 200 http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2014/2014YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf lists the Beach Boys as follows: They grossed 8.7 million, average ticket price $47, average tickets sold 2,300 and total tickets sold 106,000. No info given on number of shows/cities, perhaps someone can provide that number.

Pollstar's 2015 Top 200 http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2015/2015YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf lists the Beach Boys as follows: Grossed 11.4 million, average ticket price $48, average tickets sold 2,600 and total tickets sold 235,000. Average gross $124,000. 99 domestic shows in 92 cities.

Pollstar's mid-year Top 100 report for the first 6 months of 2016 ending June 30th http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2016/2016MidYearTop100NorthAmericanTours.pdf lists the Beach Boys as follows: So far 2016 has grossed 5.5 million, average ticket price $65, average ticket sales 1,600 with total tickets sold 85,500. Average gross $106,000. 54 domestic shows in 52 cities.

It's a lot of numbers, but if we crunch some of those numbers in terms of the variables, and there are many beyond this list for sure, I'm not seeing on paper how the C50 tour domestically had lost money if that is the reasoning given above. Is there an explanation for this discrepancy, or proof of this beyond the industry data as reported by Pollstar? On paper, the most basic division and multiplication might suggest the C50 tour had twice as many musicians on stage, yet also earned just under twice as much as the band after C50 earned in 2014 and subsequent years, the percentage of course shifting by year. And they did so playing half the amount of shows in both similar and slightly larger capacity venues. And a large majority of the C50 shows were sellouts or close to sellouts, which is when the industry took notice and came calling with more offers for the anniversary lineup to continue the tour.

Was C50 losing money domestically a factor in how it unfolded, and in comparison to the subsequent years' tour data relative to domestic touring, did it really lose money? With all the factors including the number of shows played, ticket prices, and the size of the venues, I'm not seeing the proof in that data from Pollstar.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »

Interesting guitarfool. Thanks for that post!

You would think he (Brian) would want to embrace the family members he has left. I spent time with Mike's sister Maureen, and Mike's brother Stan. Now, Maureen and Brian were incredibly close when they were growing up, Maureen plays the harp, she played that instrument in a number of Brian's songs in the 60's. Stan was Brian's bodyguard, Stan is, you know, just loves Brian unconditionally. They are estranged from Brian Wilson. They cannot get to him.

When it comes to Mike not being able to see/talk to Brian, according to eye-witness Ray Lawlor there were several times during the Beach Boys tour that he and Brian sat at a table during catering and Mike could have come by at any time. Didn't even try. I think Ray posted that somewhere on this site.

According to Pollstar's "Top 200 North American Tours" 2012 year end report http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2012/2012YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf, rounding off the numbers, The Beach Boys 50th tour in 2012 grossed 15 million dollars, playing 53 shows in 50 cities. Average ticket price $68, average tickets sold 4,400 (factoring in most venues were mid-level), total tickets sold 219,000 with an average gross of $300,000. That boils down to the band playing 11 weeks of domestic shows, with the five band members and ten backing band members. After Nicky Wonder left due to illness, it equates to a stage of 14 musicians in total, twice the size of Mike's current touring band with 7 or 8 musicians on stage most times.

By all accounts the Beach Boys tour did much, much better than anyone expected. So does this mean that they planned the tour as being a failure so that when it does better than expected, they still lose money?

It would be cool if Mr. Hirsch would stop by this board and do a Q&A chat. Maybe that would clear some things up. What he is saying in this interview is sounding very much like your typical Mike Love interview which of course is consequent as he worked with him. I just wonder what sources he had besides Mike himself.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:29:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »

I'd also suggest to Mr. Hirsch that researching Brian for two years doesn't constitute knowing him or fully understanding him.

I've been studying him for 30-plus years and I wouldn't say I fully understand him.

Also stunned that Hirsch thinks he doesn't need to read Brian's book.

Regarding Brian not talking to Hirsch, Dillon pointed out in the interview that Brian's contract with his publisher precluded him from talking to other authors.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »

Well, Hirsch has already written his Mike Love book. Why would he need to read Brian's book now that his research is complete? Is he somehow required to keep abreast of all things Beach Boys from now on?

Maybe he's had enough of the Beach Boys for now. I really don't get this criticism...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »

If Hirsch wants to be like Keith Badman and come across as someone who knew little, took the writing gig because it was a gig, and tried to shortcut being an expert, that's fine. But then everything he says will be weighed accordingly

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 09:04:10 AM »

Well, Hirsch has already written his Mike Love book. Why would he need to read Brian's book now that his research is complete? Is he somehow required to keep abreast of all things Beach Boys from now on?

Maybe he's had enough of the Beach Boys for now. I really don't get this criticism...

That is not the point. Here (quoted from guitarfool's post):

I have not read Brian's book. I spent well over two years studying and researching Brian Wilson, one of the most fascinating figures in the history of pop music; I know Brian, and there's nothing in that book that I could learn about him that I don't already know.

He says he didn't read Brian's book but then at the same time judges it ("there's nothing in that book that I could learn about him that I don't already know").

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »

Mark Dillon... looks good questions for Part 2,
Phil

Scaroline No
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »

I have not read Brian's book. I spent well over two years studying and researching Brian Wilson, one of the most fascinating figures in the history of pop music; I know Brian, and there's nothing in that book that I could learn about him that I don't already know.

He says he didn't read Brian's book but then at the same time judges it ("there's nothing in that book that I could learn about him that I don't already know").

It sort of seems like he's maybe AFRAID to read it and potentially learn something new that might change his mind about Mike and the things written in Mike's book.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »

It sort of seems like he's maybe AFRAID to read it and potentially learn something new that might change his mind about Mike and the things written in Mike's book.

I don't know about his reasons and it's none of my business. But the above mentioned part is just bogus

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »

I also find it a little ironic that Hirsch has an attitude that he doesn't need to read Brian's book, yet Mike supporters, immediately upon publication of Mike's book, started relentlessly asking people if they had read Mike's book and suggested that if they hadn't read Mike's book, they shouldn't be commenting.

I find it quite odd that Hirsch didn't just say "no, I haven't had a chance to read Brian's book yet" and leave it at that, but instead says he doesn't need to read Brian's book. Really? Isn't he giving fans a strong reason then to not read Mike's book. As in, "Sh*t, if Hirsch doesn't need to read Brian's book after studying Brian for two years, then I certainly don't need to read Mike's book if I've been studying Mike for decades!"

I think the supposition/theory that Hirsch is afraid of what reading Brian's book might make him think about his own book about Mike or about Mike's positions/opinions is, while most certainly just a theory, certainly is not craziest theory I've heard. It seems totally plausible to me, and his "I don't need to read Brian's book" attitude is what makes me think it's plausible. It sounds a little defensive to me. And/or like he's annoyed that Brian didn't give him an interview for Mike's book.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »

Statements like that cast doubt on everything else Hirsch says.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »

When it comes to Mike not being able to see/talk to Brian, according to eye-witness Ray Lawlor there were several times during the Beach Boys tour that he and Brian sat at a table during catering and Mike could have come by at any time. Didn't even try. I think Ray posted that somewhere on this site.

He and Bruce also skipped that huge dinner that pretty much everyone else went to towards the end of the tour.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »

I also find it odd to cast aspersions on Brian for not remaining in contact with people he knew 50-60 years ago, whether friends or extended family. There could be countless reasons for that. And, obviously, it's pretty funny he makes that comment mere days/weeks after Brian was photographed with Maureen.

It also sounds pretty silly for Hirsch to not understand that possibility that Brian wouldn't want to be close buds with the other Love brothers, as they were in the middle of some tumultuous times for the band and Brian.

If there are people from Brian's past who aren't able to socialize with him now, maybe it's for the same reason that this occurs with countless famous folks. Their fame, and schedule, etc. makes them less accessible. Ironically, my position is that if Carli Munoz or a Love brother can't get through to Brian, it's far more likely that they should be blaming Brian rather than people "around" Brian. And/or, Brian has the same machinations around him that any famous person does. Brian may just be preoccupied, or maybe he has a reason for not talking to these people. I guess it's just human nature to want to have some *other* reason for someone not wanting to talk to you or be with you instead of admitting it might just be that person's choice.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:57:48 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

It appears Mike *chose* not to be with Brian during and/or after C50. He obviously feels he had reasons, but nevertheless it was his choice.

Evidently Melinda wasn't even there for large portions of C50. Plus, there's always the option of actually continuing to try to have a relationship with Brian *and* Melinda. It's not like Mike is the only person in that organization who has to suck it up and get over stuff, and/or get past stuff. Does Mike not think maybe someone in the organization feels the same way about him as he does about Melinda? The difference being that they got over it and worked with Mike anyway?

I also find the claims of C50 losing money until the final legs as curious and questionable.

The way I'm thinking it might have worked is that Brian and Mike got cash guarantees up front to do the tour (as part of 50 Big Ones with Joe Thomas), and thus they certainly made *plenty* of money up front, as did the salaried musicians (including Al, Bruce, and Dave). Maybe Mike just didn't make a bunch of money on top of his guarantee. Does Mike ever mention a cash guarantee as one of those "overhead costs"?

Perhaps someone can ask Mike if he got a cash advance to do the tour, and if so, did he ever consider deferring his cash advance to ensure the tour was profitable first?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:56:07 PM by HeyJude » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 02:11:48 PM »

I want heyjude's BBs book dammit!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »

I want heyjude's BBs book dammit!

:D

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »

Billycop! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx