gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681641 Posts in 27652 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 23, 2024, 07:54:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 187 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official BB You Tube Thread  (Read 1409814 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2006, 12:33:56 AM »

Carl sounds way off on the backups. That's him doing the "oh-oh-oh-oh" parts, right?
Al sounds great.

I think it's Dennis with the "oh-oh-oh-oh".

Nah, the loud part. Dennis is the low part, Carl is the really loud part, trying to do backup harmonies and failing miserably. Carl was really awful during this period. Carl in 77-78 was as bad as Brian in 1980-81 and at Farm Aid 98. Sad.

Good question, Jane, and one I've been wondering about myself. I actually think Carl at this point was functioning BARELY higher than Brian, and honestly worse off than Dennis. GOK, esp...really, if I knew NOTHING about the group except their story, and didn't know what they looked like and saw that performance, I'd have been 100% certain that *Carl* was the one that needed to be under Landy's "care".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:48:02 AM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2006, 12:50:21 PM »

Eh, he just looked drunk. He still sang alright, just that "stand up, sit down, do whatever you want" part was a little drunken-silly.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2006, 02:11:43 PM »

Hey, Windchimes, THIS is the definition of horrible, not Dennis' drumming.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2006, 02:34:39 PM »

Anybody care to wonder what caused Carl's brief rebellion circa '77-78?

I think there were a few reasons.
 1. Mike Love's brother was a complete asshole!!!!!
     he was the reason Carl's buddy Blondie Chaplin left the friggin' group.

Anyone else? I think these performances are very revelatory in the BB's canon.

I see Al is still keepin' it clean here.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2006, 02:36:30 PM »

1. Mike Love's brother was a complete furo do burro!!!!!

I'd say he just liked gettin' loaded!

carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2006, 05:01:47 PM »

It makes me sad when I see this one.  Carl was so messed up during that time, and he more than likely was pretty drunk there, he wasn't his usual easy happy self, that stuff made him into a totally different person, a normally soft spoken guy was loud and mouthy.  I love Carl and hate to see him in that state.
Carly

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »

1. Mike Love's brother was a complete furo do burro!!!!!

He had a bad breakup with Annie the year before, and he lost his way for a while.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »

"You can do whatever you want. " I can't tell if Carl sounds like a jerk there or just a funny guy drunk who's usually very quiet.

The performance is not as bad as myth has it; and Carl isn't as wasted as myth told it. The flutes sound a bit silly, especially since they're doing vocal parts instead of their own lines.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »

after watching the GOK performance after the Surfer Girl one, Carl has straightened up quite a bit between those 2 songs, I think he did a good job singing GOK, they all seemed a little off on those 2 performances, maybe they were tired, jet lag, no telling, GOK
Carly

XY
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2006, 11:02:41 PM »

Carl in 77-78 was as bad as Brian in 1980-81 and at Farm Aid 98. Sad.

I often read that Brian's 1998 Farm Aid appearance was especially bad. I've seen the video and thought it was actually really good, except for Willie Nelson forgetting lyrics. But Brian did a good job IMHO.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2006, 12:21:17 AM »

About Farm Aid... I remember seeing it after someone taped it for me. I remember how disrespectful the hosts for CMT were towards Brian. During his (rambling) introduction for Lay Down Burden, they kept talking over it, and made some kind of faces. Granted, it's been 7 years or so since I've last seen it, but I remember thinking to myself that it wasn't going over too well.

That whole St.Charles/Joe Thomas era was really odd. Seeing Brian singing standing up wearing a heavy jacket was even odder...oddest yet was the performance with Deana Carter that was heavily overdubbed and features Brian dancing. If someone uploads *that* one, they have my admiration...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
XY
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2006, 12:56:35 AM »

It looks like I haven't seen all of Brian at Farm Aid. I have a 3 song afternoon set (Do It Again/In My Room/Warmth Of The Sun) and thought that's all. So he appeared once again and did songs like "Lay Down Burden"...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2006, 01:01:16 AM »

Huh... you have the actual GOOD performances...!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »

Carl in 77-78 was as bad as Brian in 1980-81 and at Farm Aid 98. Sad.

I often read that Brian's 1998 Farm Aid appearance was especially bad. I've seen the video and thought it was actually really good, except for Willie Nelson forgetting lyrics. But Brian did a good job IMHO.

hmmm   Smiley Grin

I never saw this, maybe someone could upload it. I love Willie Nelson and it would be great to see him with Brian (solo)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
XY
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2006, 09:58:39 AM »

hmmm   Smiley Grin

Believe it or not Rocker, everytime I read about Farm Aid I think of you and my promise! But I still can't get this f... MPG-file to play!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2006, 12:05:27 PM »

somebody uploaded some Live at Knebworth videos:
Darlin- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4isXmtCffXk
School Days- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeU3aufe7Uc
Little Deuce Coupe- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maIlDZeyOPM
fun fun fun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCtEJVDMtc
Be True to Your School- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuIAXA_BOI
Do it again (taken from the Endless Harmony disc)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWenXEtNvWw

Surfin' USA/THe things we did Last SUmmer (taken from Endless Harmony dvd)-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQyURZv-hfU
409 by Beach Boys/Junior Brown (Nashville Sounds)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDHnzdWR1E

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »

Quote from: carlydenise
He had a bad breakup with Annie the year before, and he lost his way for a while.

Nicely put, Carly, and right on the money! Carl took the divorce hard. Thankfully he recovered, was able to put his life back in order, and get back to the music.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »

hmmm   Smiley Grin

Believe it or not Rocker, everytime I read about Farm Aid I think of you and my promise! But I still can't get this f... MPG-file to play!

Bless you, that's all I need to know.... Grin

BTW those Knebworth-videos are not the same as on the DVD, from where are these? They got different camera-work

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2006, 03:55:41 PM »

Probably the TV broadcast.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2006, 04:00:02 PM »

Probably the TV broadcast.

I thought it didn't broadcast on TV....

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2006, 04:12:16 PM »

They removed the "God Only Knows" Hawaii clip. Probably because it's from the DVD.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2006, 01:03:44 AM »

I was browsing videos by my OTHER favorite artist, Basia, when I found that there was a guy who had posted a Beach Boys video in addition to some Basia vids.

If you're like me, you haven't seen this one more than once or twice, if ever...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfj7W_Iq2L8
STILL CRUISIN'
Mrs. O'Leary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2006, 03:05:15 AM »

hmmm   Smiley Grin

You can try to convert the mpg to VOB (DVD) and then back to mpg...?
MBE
« Reply #248 on: June 04, 2006, 08:35:28 PM »

Knebworth aired partially as a part of The Beach Boys 20th ann. special. The special wasn't great but far better then the one in 87.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQ6-jMqcLI&eurl=

"Troop Beverly Hills" opening, featuring Make It Big, plus animation by Jon Kricfalusi (of Ren and Stimpy).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 187 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx