gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681553 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 02:17:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Facebook picture with the Pet Sounds Masters?  (Read 8408 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »

My god, The Beach Boys are practically BEGGING for a definitive documentary. Endless Harmony was far too long ago, plus so much has happened since. I think it would hard to sum up in less than three hours though, honestly. Wink LOL (The Landy years alone could last a few hours!)

They said they were making one back in 2012, but the result was the 55 min Doin It Again, which focused on the reunion and glossed over parts of the band's history. 

I'd love to see a longer, more definitive one.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »

They would need a very good reason to play those tapes.  They've been transferred to the digital domain so I doubt they would use them for audio purposes on a new documentary.

Maybe they are for visuals only?

However needed it actually is, they often cue up the actual analog multi-track tapes when doing those "Classic Albums" documentaries, even though most of that sort of stuff is surely backed up digitally.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »

They do, but we're talking now about a 50 year old precious, likely fragile tape.  They could still do the show using digital multi's.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »

I'm kinda wondering what else is there they can present that they havn't already done
before?  We've had mono remastered, stereo remix, vinyl editions, DVD A etc etc
and a wonderful box set to the album.
what more could there be to offer that we don't already got?

As technology continues to advance, I'm guessing that someday we'll get a stereo version of God Only Knows which matches the original mono, with just Brian and Bruce on the tag.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »

wish I could get close enough to smell those tapes.  Tongue

Me, too!  Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »

They do, but we're talking now about a 50 year old precious, likely fragile tape.  They could still do the show using digital multi's.

That makes sense to me too. Yet, I've seen numerous instances of running multi-track tapes from the 60s and 70s on relatively recent documentaries. They still appear to run Beatles tapes on a few modern-era documentaries.

I've actually heard Beatles multis from the 60s are in excellent shape due to not being played a ton of times, and the non-synthetic makeup of the tape of that era. I wonder if perhaps a similar fact is true of Beach Boys tapes from the 60s.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »

That makes sense to me too. Yet, I've seen numerous instances of running multi-track tapes from the 60s and 70s on relatively recent documentaries. They still appear to run Beatles tapes on a few modern-era documentaries.

I've actually heard Beatles multis from the 60s are in excellent shape due to not being played a ton of times, and the non-synthetic makeup of the tape of that era. I wonder if perhaps a similar fact is true of Beach Boys tapes from the 60s.
Dumb question, but wouldn't you need to run 'em through a machine every now and then (perhaps not over the tape head) to stop them gumming up/sticking together over time?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »

Dumb question, but wouldn't you need to run 'em through a machine every now and then (perhaps not over the tape head) to stop them gumming up/sticking together over time?

There are others far more familiar with that stuff than myself. But my understanding is that because they used "whale oil" instead of synthetic oil on tape from the 60s, they don't suffer from as much (or maybe any?) of the gummy, sticky issues that occur with tape from the 70s and 80s. It's tapes from the 70s and 80s that I've heard they have to "bake" for each play to counteract the (literally and figuratively) sticky issues.

DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »

Perhaps they are considering releasing the individual multi-tracks, thus allowing the listener to create his own mix and really delve into the intricacies of how the album was created.

That would be fascinating and certainly fulfill an item on my "bucket list"!

Does anyone recall how many tracks were used?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 04:29:30 PM »

As I recall, the instrumental tracks were recorded (mostly at Western) on a four-track, which was then mixed down to mono on one track of the Columbia 8-track, leaving 7 tracks for vocals.

To illustrate, here's the Columbia track sheet for "IJWMFTT" (original spellings preserved):

1 Bryan - chorus
2 Bryan - lead  no. 1
3 vocal group no. 1 - might have to key out
4 orchestra (that is, the mono instrumental mixdown)
5 Bryan - lead no. 2
6 Bryan - chorus         Bryan w/tape reverb at end
7 vocal group no. 2 - might have to key out
8 Bryan - no. 1 echo         Bryan w/tape reverb at end

When Mark came to do the stereo mixes for the 1997 box set, he synched the mono mixdown on the 8-track to the original 4-track, so essentially he had eleven discrete tracks to work with.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:33:41 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »

Another Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/photos/a.452661542240.241240.34250497240/10153948484667241

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »

Perhaps they are considering releasing the individual multi-tracks, thus allowing the listener to create his own mix and really delve into the intricacies of how the album was created.

That would be fascinating and certainly fulfill an item on my "bucket list"!

Does anyone recall how many tracks were used?

Please God.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »

these pictures are making my mouth water  Shocked
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »

Pet Sounds 5oth Anniversary edition- Brian Wilson Edition

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 06:57:40 PM »

Coming Soon: Kanye West presents- "The Kanye West, better remixes of Pet Sounds, because I am a bigger genius, and since I am a god of this generation, People will bow down to me and worship me because they think I am the greatest of all time, and did I mention I am a Genius?" Edition....

or

Coming Soon: George Lucas Presents the "Mike Love shot first edition of Pet Sounds featuring a new brand new cover with CGI creature standing in the back ground of the petting zoo, featuring a new duet with Jar Jar Bink."

Or

Coming Soon: "Elmo sings Pet Sounds"....(using the original masters)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 07:02:45 PM »

I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag.  But I do have some intel from
what's happening.  I said I wouldn't say anything, but its a remix and
remaster of the original hard to find 'popeye and the beach boys'.
here are part of the original mixes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2knRhcF-o
now I think it settles it, we can get back to business.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 07:41:59 PM »

I would like a pet sounds coffee table book.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »

Just noticed The Beach Boys Facebook page now also put a the picture that Brian put up of the God Only Knows picture and those tapes!!Something is going on!!!
 Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/thebeachboys/?fref=nf
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:25:20 PM by The_Beach » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »

Just noticed The Beach Boys Facebook page now also put a the picture that Brian put up of the God Only Knows picture and those tapes!!Something is going on!!!
 Smiley
The documentary that Mike Love mentions in his interviews?
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »

Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/thebeachboys/?fref=nf Second post down on the link https://www.facebook.com/thebeachboys/?fref=nf
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »

Smiley
The documentary that Mike Love mentions in his interviews?

IDK it could be but if it is for Mike that would be strange that Brian shared a nd posted the pictures first! Whoknows hope its something worth wild!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »

No!

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »

Looks like an assortment of 1” (8-track), 1/2” (4/3-track), and 1/4” (mono) originals … no logical reason why these three formats would be stacked together, so my money is on photo/video op. Surely all the masters have been transferred to digital at this point, so any remixing would be from digital anyway. And Brian would not likely be attending a “transfer original tapes to digital” session. They would most certainly not be attempting any remixes directly from these masters.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:43:34 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 02:10:23 PM »

They do, but we're talking now about a 50 year old precious, likely fragile tape.  They could still do the show using digital multi's.

There are others far more familiar with that stuff than myself. But my understanding is that because they used "whale oil" instead of synthetic oil on tape from the 60s, they don't suffer from as much (or maybe any?) of the gummy, sticky issues that occur with tape from the 70s and 80s. It's tapes from the 70s and 80s that I've heard they have to "bake" for each play to counteract the (literally and figuratively) sticky issues.

That's kind of correct ...

"Sticky-shed" only applies to backcoated tape, which was not manufactured until 1969. So it's not applicable in any case to the Pet Sounds tapes above.

The binder used on backcoated tapes from 1969 to about 1974 used whale oil, which is stable ... then they switched to a synthetic binder (due to environmental/poiltical pressures), which deteriorated over time. Though I'm not entirely sure that was the real problem, as Scotch 206 tape (for instance) was still stable even using a synthetic binder.

There are different sets of potential problems on the Beach Boys tapes above.

The tape types appear to be Scotch 201, 202, 203, and 111.

111 and 201 are acetate-based, which can easily break as it does not stretch. 201 can exhibit a sticky-shed like problem which is not true sticky shed, and the tapes cannot be baked (this will dry out the already brittle acetate base ... very bad). 111 doesn't have this problem, but can fall victim to a form of degradation known as "vinegar syndrome", of which little info is known except that it stinks and can pose health risks to those who inhale the fumes. They usually play okay (for now, who knows what will happen down the line). Vinegar syndrome is actually contagious (not making this up!) and can spread among tapes stored in close proximity of one another ... though only acetate tapes are susceptible.

202 and 203 have a plastic base, so they are less brittle and will not suffer from vinegar problems. But as they dry out over time the oxide (where the music is) itself can flake off very easily, leaving a strip of thin plastic that looks like “Scotch (adhesive) Tape”. This is very common (every reel I’ve ever seen exhibits “blank” spots at stress points like the beginning and end of the tape), and these tapes need to be treated with great care, especially where splices exist (if an old splice comes off - highly likely during play -, the oxide/music probably comes off along with it, so it should possibly be spliced back in with original splicing tape/oxide put back in place).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:13:40 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »

The "vinegar" problem is also common with old reels of film.  Thanks for letting me know about the health risks.  I don't know how many times have I been at a thrift store/yard sale, found an old 16mm film reel, and shoved my nose in it to see if the film is deteriorating!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx