gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 01:51:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 8mm film of 1965 Hollywood Bowl concert on eBay  (Read 5728 times)
r.dunbar
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »

I wish I could afford it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/c1965-BEACH-BOYS-at-HOLLYWOOD-BOWL-Hollywood-CALIF-REG-8mm-Jim-Madden-MOVIE-FILM-/131596715643?hash=item1ea3c6867b

I figured such an item surfacing was deserving of it's own thread (If not, please delete this)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »

Get Alan Boyd on this sh*t!!!!!!!!!!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »

The box says '50 FT' so that would be what, one song? Unplayed so unknown if it has sound I guess.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

Format was not set up for capturing sound. Too Bad.  Smokin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »

Interesting curio. Looks like it's not literally one of a kind; looks like these short 8mm films were sold in the back of teen magazines. Wouldn't be surprised if this was originally 16mm newsreel footage put onto 8mm film to be sold.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »

Interesting curio. Looks like it's not literally one of a kind; looks like these short 8mm films were sold in the back of teen magazines. Wouldn't be surprised if this was originally 16mm newsreel footage put onto 8mm film to be sold.

Yes, It's described as being silent and if you read the item, you can see it is from the old stock of a company that sold them in magazines.  
I have a similar one, maybe even the same, altho my box states 100 ft.  Plan is take it down to the camera shop and have it transferred to DVD, when the funds are right.  
The previous owner of mine attached some BBs pics of his own to the outside of the box:  

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:34:05 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »

As mentioned, seems to be some kind of a series. A Beatles related film here also '50 FT'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEATLES-LET-IT-BE-DIG-A-PONY-1970-8mm-B-W-MOVIE-50-FT-/181849673845?hash=item2a5715d075
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »

Yep, this was quasi-massed produced, and I believe a transfer from 16mm.  I've seen copies of this on eBay a few times over the years.  But I didn't know it was available as a 3" reel (50 ft) and a 5" reel (100 ft).
Lee
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »

The Beatles tape is $29 buy it now so any reason the BB one is not worth about the same? The OP might be able to afford it after all.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »

The Beatles tape is $29 buy it now so any reason the BB one is not worth about the same? The OP might be able to afford it after all.

You mean other than the 5 years difference in age and the fact that the bidding on the BBs is at $87 right now?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:14:49 PM »

The listing states the tape is 'From a Hollywood film lab from the 1970's' so it is only the show that is 5 years older. Of course it is worth what someone wants to pay but this does sound like a mass produced product rather than a rare find.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »

The listing states the tape is 'From a Hollywood film lab from the 1970's' so it is only the show that is 5 years older. Of course it is worth what someone wants to pay but this does sound like a mass produced product rather than a rare find.

Can't disagree that both WERE probably mass produced;  but how many of either one survives?
 in the broader sense, the lack of multiple copies appearing is what drives the collectibles marketplace

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 11:50:03 PM »

The box says '50 FT' so that would be what, one song? Unplayed so unknown if it has sound I guess.

Yeah, 50 ft of regular 8 runs about 4 minutes.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »

Yes, It's described as being silent and if you read the item, you can see it is from the old stock of a company that sold them in magazines.   
I have a similar one, maybe even the same, altho my box states 100 ft.  Plan is take it down to the camera shop and have it transferred to DVD, when the funds are right. 

Chris, what's the diameter of your film reel?
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 05:42:12 AM »

Can't disagree that both WERE probably mass produced;  but how many of either one survives?
 in the broader sense, the lack of multiple copies appearing is what drives the collectibles marketplace

I can't imagine many are still around.  I used to post wanted lists on film collector forums for any Beach Boys footage and never got a single lead on anything.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 06:12:18 AM »

That's correct.  The hub on that reel looks like Super 8 to me (wider hole in the center).  From Wikipedia:

Launched in 1965, Super 8 film comes in plastic light-proof cartridges containing coaxial supply and take-up spools loaded with 50 feet (15 m) of film, with 72 frames per foot, for a total of approximately 3,600 frames per film cartridge. This was enough film for 2.5 minutes at the professional motion picture standard of 24 frames per second, and for 3 minutes and 20 seconds of continuous filming at 18 frames per second (upgraded from Standard 8 mm's 16 frame/s) for amateur use.

Lee
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 06:30:06 AM »

I think the value of something like this, versus a similar Beatles item, is difficult to quantify. There is more interest in Beatles material and memorabilia. However, I would guess more copies of a Beatles item would have been made and sold back then, so more would survive. Also, it’s much more likely that the footage on the film itself would exist and circulate from a better/original source among Beatles collectors. With the BB film, less copies of the 8mm reel are probably extant, and there are less hardcore video collectors that would have other access to the footage.

But I do think, given that it was a mass-produced item, the value would have more to do with its novelty as a memorabilia piece than it would have to do with the rarity of the footage itself.

One-of-a-kind 8mm home movies would be a different thing altogether.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »

I'm guessing there must be places on-line that do film transfers? 
went to my local camera shop today, and my thought is that while they have a price sheet for transfers, they really don't want to be bothered; $39 for a dvd, plus 12 cents a foot of film(except there's a $20 minimum), plus $6 to splice your film to a 400 foot reel for the transfer. However, if you don't want your film spliced to the 400 foot reel, then there's an additional $50 service charge.....
   Add their disclaimer, that should they mess up your film/lose it/destroy it, their only responsibility is to provide a blank, unprocessed replacement of the same length

I think I'm happy knowing I have this film in a box

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »

I have actually considered experimenting with doing my own telecine transfers... My Canon 7d Mk II camera has video capabilities, and you can adjust the frames per second at which it records.  I also have a projection unit that adjusts for the mis-shaping of the projected image (aka "keystoning") when you try to record video from a film source.  So, in theory, if I were to set up the Canon to record at 18 fps, and assuming that my combo 8mm/Super 8mm projector's speed is accurate, I should be able to do a flicker-less transfer.  Just not sure I have the time and patience to try it right now.

Lee
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:08:56 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »

I have actually considered experimenting with doing my own telecine transfers... My Canon 7d Mk II camera has video capabilities, and you can adjust the frames per second at which it records.  I also have a projection unit that adjusts for the mis-shaping of the projected image (aka "keystoning") when you try to record video from a film source.  So, in theory, if I were to set up the Canon to record at 18 fps, and assuming that my 8mm projector's speed is accurate, I should be able to do a flicker-less transfer.  Just not sure I have the time and patience to try it right now.

Lee

C'mon over! ( I sure ain't mailing my copy)     OH!! maybe you're going to win the Ebay item?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »

That's correct.  The hub on that reel looks like Super 8 to me (wider hole in the center).  From Wikipedia:

Launched in 1965, Super 8 film comes in plastic light-proof cartridges containing coaxial supply and take-up spools loaded with 50 feet (15 m) of film, with 72 frames per foot, for a total of approximately 3,600 frames per film cartridge. This was enough film for 2.5 minutes at the professional motion picture standard of 24 frames per second, and for 3 minutes and 20 seconds of continuous filming at 18 frames per second (upgraded from Standard 8 mm's 16 frame/s) for amateur use.

Lee

Thing is, Super 8 came in a cassette; hence the description of a cartridge

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »

Yeah, you can do a fairly OK job with a homemade transfer and it'll look about as good as most of these "transfers" you see advertised which tend to just use a camcorder and one of those cheesy mirror contraptions. At most you adjust the shutter speed if there's flicker.

Next step up is to go frame by frame with something like a Workprinter, then a proper pro job using a hideously expensive Rank Cintel machine which of course look gorgeous as hell when you do them right in HD or higher.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:08:29 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

Lee

The cartridge refers to how the raw film is packaged and inserted in the camera; after it is developed it's on a reel just like 8mm, just with a bigger hole in the middle to indicate that it's Super 8mm.

Lee
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

If you don't want to run this through a projector, you can pick up vintage hand driven viewers - which allow you to peruse the content while taking care with a fragile medium.

Similar to tape, not a bad idea to wind through occassionally, to reduce incidences of stickiness/etc.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »

Lee

The cartridge refers to how the raw film is packaged and inserted in the camera; after it is developed it's on a reel just like 8mm, just with a bigger hole in the middle to indicate that it's Super 8mm.

Lee

If you don't want to run this through a projector, you can pick up vintage hand driven viewers - which allow you to peruse the content while taking care with a fragile medium.

Similar to tape, not a bad idea to wind through occassionally, to reduce incidences of stickiness/etc.

Yeah, Makes sense. I don't know any more about film than what I read, so thanxx for the clarification

I think Costco might do transfers locally; if so, I'm going  to do that. If not, it's  scary to think about trusting the mail to get a transfer done

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx