gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 06:32:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys and Star Wars  (Read 10756 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:33:15 AM »

Apologies - I'm not starting this thread with any anecdotes of my own that might connect the two but hoping someone else might do the honours.

For instance, has Brian ever talked about Star Wars? He must have seen the first movie when it came out and I can imagine him being all over it (given he was writing his own space-themed song around the same time).

The only feeble connection I can come up with is Lucas using All Summer Long in American Graffiti. There's gotta be more than that ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:51:26 AM »

Ummmm...why do we need a connection between the two?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:20:11 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »

Ummmm...we do we need a connection between the two?

Because convergence points are awesome.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:18:15 AM »

Clutching at straws here...

Freddy Mercury, who said he didn't like Star Wars in "Bicycle", recorded "I Can Hear Music" under the name Larry Lurex in 1973.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »

Ummmm...we do we need a connection between the two?

Because convergence points are awesome.

Convergence you want, convergence you got:

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/tmckenz/media/mikelove.jpg.html

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhHB4J_TCI
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:40:10 AM by rn57 » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »

PS - the photobucket pic dates from about 1970 so I think it's pretty obvious where the inspiration for Jedi robes came from. Why Mike hasn't been bringing it up in interviews lately, I don't know.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »

Ha! As an aside, I noticed recently that the dressing gown/bathrobe thing seemed to be de rigueur in the early 70s, or at least there's mike doing it here and Harry Nilsson sporting exactly the same look (robe plus flat cap) at some awards ceremony around the time of Nilsson schmilsson. What was this look all about? Influenced by Brian?? Or was Brian's decision to walk about in a bathrobe in the early 70s a hip thing to do I.e. less an indication of his mental state as is sometimes suggested now?

As for the original thread request for a connection between the BBs and Star Wars apologies if it's a bit OT - just a bit of fun in the wake of the spectacular 2nd teaser for Force Awakens. I just have a picture in my head of Brian's mind being blown at the opening scene of A New Hope back in 77. It strikes me as quite where Brian's head was at at the point, what with Solar System and all. I bet somebody has a story of Brian seeing it at the cinema ... Debbie Keil-Leavitt perhaps??

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »

1.Brian did a Karate chop to Elvis, Star Wars has some Martial Art influences..
2.Brian became a hermit and grew a long beard, Obi Wan became a hermit  and luke (in the upcoming movie) also became a hermit and grew a beard.
3.Brian had a mean/abusive father, Luke had an evil father.
 4.Star wars had the Ewoks, Brian had Banana and Louie
5.Star Wars had Jar Jar Binks, who was clumsy and would bump into things and would speak gibberish, some of the members of The Beach Boys (During the 70's) used to get drunk/high and would bump into things and speak gibberish.
6. Mike Love used to sit and meditate all day long and speak with wise words to people, Yoda used to sit and mediate all day long and speak wise words to people.
7. it's debatable as to whether Han shot first or not, the same with Phil Spector.
8. Harrison Ford crashed his plane recently, They write a song about a plane Loop de looping in the sky, which would be dangerous and could crash.
9. Star Wars had the Emperor trying to take control of the universe,the Beach Boys have Mike trying to take control of the Beach Boys..(ok, ok I know, that was cruel, but it WAS funny, you have to admit)
10. when Brian and Dennis smoke 20 packs a day they sounded like Darth Vader, well at least their breathing.
11. they were influenced by (and recorded with) Jan and Dead who were fans of Laurel and Hardy, George patterned C3PO and R2D2 after Laurel and Hardy.
12. Leia sounds like Luau.
13. Jar Jar and his kin live under the water, The Beach Boys surf on top of the water.
14. in one of the early Star Wars novels (before episode 5 and before we find out that Luke and Leia are twins) the writer has Luke and Leia as having a Love affair, Dennis (well I think You know where I'm going with this lol)..
15.Anikin had Palpatine . Dennis had Manson.
16. The Death Star Looks like a moon, The Beach Boys had a song called the Surfer Moon.
17. Jedi's are born with metaclorians, The Wilson Brothers were born with their Dad's musical ability.
18. George Lucas kind of has a similar beard to Carls beard.
19. Mike Love would rant and rave on stage, William Shatner would rant and rave at conventions and he worked with George Takei who did a voice for the Clone Wars cartoon series.
20. The Skywalker Ranch is in California....
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »

Lucas also used "Surfin Safari" in American Graffiti.  Paul Le Mat's character switches off the radio to the dismay of Mackenzie Phillips character.  She says something like "Don't you think the Beach Boys are boss?" And Le Mat says "You would you grungy little twirp".  And later "Rock n Roll has been going down ever since Buddy Holly died".  That's all from memory so, apologies on any errors.

There are elements of Lucas in all of the male characters in the film but Le Mat's John Milner and Richard Dreyfus' Curt are the two that I always sensed were the crystallized versions of himself.  The irony of Milner essentially ripping the Beach Boys is of course that Lucas chose to end his film with "All Summer Long" playing in the credits.  I don't think the irony was unintended either.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »

Both Lucas and Brian are iconic members of the pre-baby boomer generation, born before the end of WW2.  Both born in California.  Both very love with the lure of California.  Both trailblazed their craft and burnt out in their own ways.  Both staged comebacks years after their prime.  

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

2.Brian became a hermit and grew a long beard, Obi Wan became a hermit  and luke (in the upcoming movie) also became a hermit and grew a beard.
3.Brian had a mean/abusive father, Luke had an evil father.
 4.Star wars had the Ewoks, Brian had Banana and Louie
5.Star Wars had Jar Jar Binks, who was clumsy and would bump into things and would speak gibberish, some of the members of The Beach Boys (During the 70's) used to get drunk/high and would bump into things and speak gibberish.
6. Mike Love used to sit and meditate all day long and speak with wise words to people, Yoda used to sit and mediate all day long and speak wise words to people.
7. it's debatable as to whether Han shot first or not, the same with Phil Spector.
8. Harrison Ford crashed his plane recently, They write a song about a plane Loop de looping in the sky, which would be dangerous and could crash.
9. Star Wars had the Emperor trying to take control of the universe,the Beach Boys have Mike trying to take control of the Beach Boys..(ok, ok I know, that was cruel, but it WAS funny, you have to admit)
10. when Brian and Dennis smoke 20 packs a day they sounded like Darth Vader, well at least their breathing.
11. they were influenced by (and recorded with) Jan and Dead who were fans of Laurel and Hardy, George patterned C3PO and R2D2 after Laurel and Hardy.
12. Leia sounds like Luau.
13. Jar Jar and his kin live under the water, The Beach Boys surf on top of the water.
14. in one of the early Star Wars novels (before episode 5 and before we find out that Luke and Leia are twins) the writer has Luke and Leia as having a Love affair, Dennis (well I think You know where I'm going with this lol)..
15.Anikin had Palpatine . Dennis had Manson.
16. The Death Star Looks like a moon, The Beach Boys had a song called the Surfer Moon.
17. Jedi's are born with metaclorians, The Wilson Brothers were born with their Dad's musical ability.
18. George Lucas kind of has a similar beard to Carls beard.
19. Mike Love would rant and rave on stage, William Shatner would rant and rave at conventions and he worked with George Takei who did a voice for the Clone Wars cartoon series.
20. The Skywalker Ranch is in California....

LOL
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »

I found two "Star Wars Meets Beach Boys" videos on YouTube:

"I Get Around":
https://youtu.be/HFXdjywBM2U

and "Shut Down":
https://youtu.be/gcJQbvHAFo0

Both are dated 2007 and I swear that I had nothing to do with either of them.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »

Joshferrel...You nailed it! LOL
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »

The Beach Boys and Star Wars? Look no further than Ray Lawlor rockin' out on "Surfin' U.S.A." whilst wearing an Empire Strikes Back-inspired shirt: CLICK (it's near the end of the clip). Cool
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:57:35 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »

Joshferrel...You nailed it! LOL
thank you  LOL
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »

..and the last movie Elvis ever saw? He arranged a special private screening in Memphis for he and Lisa Marie to see...(wait for it)...Star Wars!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »

I found two "Star Wars Meets Beach Boys" videos on YouTube:

"I Get Around":
https://youtu.be/HFXdjywBM2U

and "Shut Down":
https://youtu.be/gcJQbvHAFo0

Both are dated 2007 and I swear that I had nothing to do with either of them.
actually the Shut Down one makes sense......  Shocked lol...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »

- Carrie (Fisher) Me Home?

- Reagan got involved with Star Wars, Denny got involved with Reagan's daughter
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:26:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »

Thanks Josh.  THAT nailed it. Cool Guy

I'm a HUGE Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan.  I also was knocked out by Star Wars when it first came out.  Like...Wholly sh!t!!!  THAT is absolutely amazing.!!!   Lucas is George's last name.  Lucas is my son's first name.  [named after my Grandfather Fred Lucas...and my Mom....Audrey Lucas]  See?  It all ties together...like REALLY  L O N G  hair after an exceptionally lengthy ride in a small sporty convertible. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »

Thanks Josh.  THAT nailed it. Cool Guy

I'm a HUGE Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan.  I also was knocked out by Star Wars when it first came out.  Like...Wholly sh!t!!!  THAT is absolutely amazing.!!!   Lucas is George's last name.  Lucas is my son's first name.  [named after my Grandfather Fred Lucas...and my Mom....Audrey Lucas]  See?  It all ties together...like REALLY  L O N G  hair after an exceptionally lengthy ride in a small sporty convertible. 
you're welcome..
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »

- Carrie (Fisher) Me Home?

Carrie Fisher was married to Paul Simon, Paul Simon toured with Brian Wilson.

...this is a weird thread.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »

Ok. Two Lane Black Top Chevy(s) was also used in American Graffiti driven by Harrison Ford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OoxzYqgNY

http://unofficialamericangraffiti.weebly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

Note as well MacKenzie Phillips.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 06:50:25 PM »

Beach Boys often a hirsute bunch/Chewbacca....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:04:25 PM »

Lucas also used "Surfin Safari" in American Graffiti.  Paul Le Mat's character switches off the radio to the dismay of Mackenzie Phillips character.  She says something like "Don't you think the Beach Boys are boss?" And Le Mat says "You would you grungy little twirp".  And later "Rock n Roll has been going down ever since Buddy Holly died".  That's all from memory so, apologies on any errors.

There are elements of Lucas in all of the male characters in the film but Le Mat's John Milner and Richard Dreyfus' Curt are the two that I always sensed were the crystallized versions of himself.  The irony of Milner essentially ripping the Beach Boys is of course that Lucas chose to end his film with "All Summer Long" playing in the credits.  I don't think the irony was unintended either.

Here's how the exchange went:

He stares at her and she shuts up. "Surfin' Safari" is blaring
on the radio and she starts twisting with the music. John
turns the radio off.

CAROL
Why'd you do that?

JOHN
I don't like that surfing sh*t. Rock
'n Roll's been going downhill ever
since Buddy Holly died.

CAROL
Don't you think the Beach Boys are
boss!

JOHN
You would, you grungy little twerp.

Ironically, John is the character with the most Beach Boys ties, not on the surfing side, but the car side, which was more Brian's thing anyway.  He drove a Deuce Coupe and he was both a street racer and in the sequel, a drag racer. A lot of the car lingo in the various BB/J&D car songs comes from drag racing. And of course, elements of American Graffiti ended up in Star Wars movies. John Milner's yellow deuce coupe was reimagined as Anakin Skywalker's Podracer and later on as his airspeeder (actually one he borrowed) and his Jedi Starfighter. And a lot of the scenes in the original were similar to American Grafitti, just in a fantasy setting.

Also, the box office success of American Grafitti is part of what made Endless Summer such a big hit and brought commercial success (temporarily) back to the Beach Boys for awhile.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »

Brian saw E.T., who was in The Star Wars movie Revenge of The Sith.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx