gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:41:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69595 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »

Be awesome if the Q&A session could be edited down to all the questions Brian answered.
Quite a treat. Thanks to Brian and this Board for the opportunity.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »

Be awesome if the Q&A session could be edited down to all the questions Brian answered.
Quite a treat. Thanks to Brian and this Board for the opportunity.

I just set it up so all of the answers from Brian appear as the first topics going down the list. If anyone wants to complie them, just go post to post down the list.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:51:38 AM »

The most interesting answer was the love you tour question. They have "talked" about doing one.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »

Brian likes cheese pizza. Well, now I know that, there's no point in doing any more research, is there ?  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »

Strangers in the night piano demo

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »

The cheese pizza answer was hugely disappointing, I thought Brian had better taste.

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »

I'm so honored he answered my Sinatra question (well, not exactly, but he at least acknowledged it). Now hearing his "Strangers In the Night" demo is my new Holy Grail.  Grin

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »

"Meant for You" was simply edited down because it was better that way.
Dunno why I never considered that.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »

Well I know what I'm having for dinner tonight
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »

Break Away: His dad did the lyrics and Brian did the music. Murry had the idea for Joey Bishop the talk show host - he used to say let's break away.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »

That Murray was on Be Here in the Mornin'. I think we knew he was on Friends but not what song.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »

A whole lot of neat tidbits. Cheesy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »

On BW.COM he said he's going to Berlin in February. Love & Mercy is in Berlin film festival.

Pretty cool.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »

He also pretty much confirmed a tour on his board too. I guess we'll know dates soon.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »

That Brian had laryngitis while recording "Chapel of Love"! Does this enlighten us more about the gruff voice?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »

Should/Could i post ALL the questions/answers in one post here?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »

That would be very cool

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »

Break Away: His dad did the lyrics and Brian did the music. Murry had the idea for Joey Bishop the talk show host - he used to say let's break away.

That's the one that got me. Reggie Dunbar (Murry) got half the credit on the song, but I never knew how much involvement he really had. Brian confirmed the lyrics were Murry's, but still not sure if they were ALL his or partly his. The lyrics fit Brian's status at the time, so Murry was actually writing like Brian would have written about himself. Murry was also present for at least one session for the song.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »

Ok cool i just wasn't sure if there would be some special rule to make it special for just the separate board or whatever, let's make it easier for everyone:

Hey - it's Brian. I'm here - let's have some fun

Hey Bri,
Would you ever consider doing the entire Love You album live, much like you have done in the past for Pet Sounds and Smile?

L&M
Juice

Yeah, we've talked about it - we love the album!

What inspired you to write "Country Air" on the Wild Honey album, and was some part of it written for Smile?

I love it - sings - no inspiration - just wrote it!

Hi Brian, 17-year old super fan from NC.

Is No Pier Pressure your favorite collaboration project so far? Have you considered doing another collaboration with international artists?

Cheers!

It's versatile - has a lot of sweetness. I loved working with the guest artists, it was a thrill to have such good singers.

Hi Brian

When you sit at the piano today, do the melodies and chord progressions still come to you just as easily as they did when you were writing songs at 20 years old?  I am a songwriter and I am curious what the process looks like after doing it for more than 50 years as you have.

Thank you so much for all the beautiful music--it has meant the world to me!
Justin

Well, I write songs in the studio a lot now.

C'mon, BW - you know when you put out a song called... "Last Song," a million people will ask you: "So, Brian... is this your last song?"

Before you have to answer thousands of times... tell us first!

What does "Last Song" mean to you?

It's a song about the last time - not the happiest lyric but an interesting song.

What was your biggest influence while making No Pier Pressure?

Thank you for everything!

MY wife inspired me and I inspired it myself. Any my kids because they wanted me to work with young artists.

What's your most distinct memory of living and working  in the Netherlands?

We were there for six months - yeah, it was a great place. The roads were like coblestone.

Hi Brian, I'm a huge pepperoni pizza lover, and would like to know what kind of pizza you like to have?  Smiley

Cheese pizza.

Brian, when did you become aware that you (and later on, your brothers) were musically gifted and was that a gradual or sudden realization?

I was around the age of 17 - I learned how to play the Four Freshman on the piano. After that I wrote Surfer Girl.

Hi Brian. If you could change just one thing (anything at all) about any Beach Boys album, what would that be?

Thanks for doing what you do. You're the best!

JAMiE

Besides Let Him Run Wild vocal, which I've said a lot, Chapel of Love from 16 Big Ones. I wasn't in my right voice - I had really bad laryngitis.

Hi Brian,
I'm fascinated with the way you almost never used hi-hats and crash in your recordings.
Does it come from technical limitations (e.g. miking and channels) or has it been always a creative production decision?
How did you replace hi-hats to achieve the great rhythm dynamics in your recordings?

Thank you for saving my life,
STE

I never used high hats on our records - I just don't like the sound of them.

You've revisited some incomplete works in the past, most significantly the SMiLE album in 2004. But there is still a wealth of amazing songs/song ideas that you and The Beach Boys left unfinished throughout your career (ex. "Can't Wait Too Long", "Lonely Days" and my personal favourite "I'm Begging You Please"). There are many such songs that us fans are interested in, but which unfinished songs/demos of yours would you most like to complete/revisit?

Yeah, I had a song called Lana - I would do that again. 1962.

Do you listen to "Wild Honey" or "Love You" songs much?

If you do, I'd love to know which songs you listen to (though I know you're busy and I understand if you don't have the time to go into it).

I only ask because I find both albums to be refreshing, direct, charming and so different. They are among my favorite albums to listen to over and over again.

Thank you for everything, Brian. The music, the concerts, the obvious care you have for music, and the respect you always show to your fans.

Chris Shields

I have to say no, just my new one.

Hello Brian,

Ever since I've been a fan of yours, I've been fascinated by that white & gold Baldwin organ - an HT2R model, I believe - that was apparently given to you in 1966. What happened to that organ, do you still own it, or do you know who does?

Thank you for the music  Smiley

- Alan, 26, from France

We used it on Heroes and Villains and Fall Breaks and Back to Winter and put it in our storage rehearsal place - we might still have it!

Hello, Brian! Thank you for doing this Q&A with the fans.
My question: Who has been your all-time favorite lyricist/writer you've ever worked with?
Thank you very much!

Yes, Van Dyke Parks.

Hi Brian.  I know the Beach Boys performed "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" quite often in concert, and it's a great vocal arrangement on that song.  What Four Freshmen songs still blow you away every time you hear them?  What song has their craziest vocal arrangment?  Thanks for answering some of our questions, Brian!

Artie

You Stepped out of a Dream - I don't know I just liked the harmonies.

Good evening Brian,

One of my favourite non-album songs from recent years was What Love Can Do? on which you collaborated with the legendary Burt Bacharach.  How did that come about, and would you like to collaborate again?

John, age 50-and-3/4, UK fan

I love his songs a lot - I always did - since 1961 - Walk on By.

Any fond memories of writing / recording the Friends album?

Hi Brian! Friends is my favorite album and very little is ever written about that time. I was hoping you had a happy memory or two of writing / recording that album that you would like to share.

Thank you.

I had my dad sing on one of my songs - one note! A song called Be Here in the Morning. A bass note. One of my favorite Beach Boys albums. I also remember cutting Cotton Fields with Al. Great song - and then it came out on the 20/20 album. Wake the World, Diamond Head too.

Hi Brian,

Since you are (rightfully) famous as both a composer and a producer of music, I was wondering how integrated the two steps were in your creative process.  How does your style as a producer influence the way that you compose music (or vice versa)?

Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to your new album!
Will

Some of the songs I change the melody or chords in the studio, but mostly not though.

One of my favorite tracks on the Made in California box set was the extended version of "Meant For You" from the wonderful Friends album - it featured the lyrics about ponies and their mothers and puppy dogs and their brothers - do you recall anything about why that part was cut out for the original release?

Such a peaceful and loving song! Thanks!

No, I just edited it because it was better shorter.

Hey Brian! Can’t wait for the new album!

It seems you've been working quite a bit with newer artists, especially with this album, and thus opening up a new generation to your amazing music.

Do you have any advice for the many young artists you inspire?

I always tell people to follow through with it - write a whole song - not half a song. Make sure the vocals are not flat but on pitch. Be happy with the song before you lay it off. Make sure that you have a great management team behind you too!

What's your favorite chord?  Smiley

F sharp seventh is my favorite chord.

What's your favorite track off The Beach Boys Love You?

The Night Was So Young.

Your music has brought me so much happiness throughout my life.

What brings you the most joy and happiness in your life  these days?

-Gregg

Music actually.

If you watch movies or TV, what do you like to watch??

or else what's the normal routine day life at 'The Wilson' household?

RickB

I go to the park and take walks and in the evening I watch news. Also, going to my son's basketball games and playing with my kids.

Hi Brian,

Great pleasure to talk to you and thanks for answering these questions.

You've spoken a lot about being competitive with The Beathles. I am curious over whether you felt any competition from your local contemporaries such as The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Love, etc.?

Thanks again!

The Doors - there's so many. I liked the Monkees - I'm a Believer - Neil Diamond. A group called the Kingsman.

Hi, Brian!

Blondie Chaplin did a great job in Vegas when you played there in December and I am very glad to see you two back together!  Smiley

Question: Will you and Blondie work together more in the future? It would rock.

Surf's up, Robert!

Oh, he's a really good singer. It was a thrill. I love Blondie!

Hello Brian,

I know you cite "Strangers In the Night" as one of your all time favorite pieces of music. Have you ever considered doing an album of Frank Sinatra music in the vein of your "Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin" record?

I recorded Strangers in the Night about 10-12 years. Piano demo.

Hi, Brian! I have always wondered if the ABSOLUTELY, BRILLIANT, GEORGEOUS musical snippits on Mt. Vernon and Fairway have or ever will be fleshed out as full blown songs and will we ever hear them someday on a future album? Thanks for any answers you may have and thank you for the last 52 years of incredible music! : Hug

I love Pied Piper and Jack Rieley's narration. He was a trip, a big speaking voice. His idea to go to Holland. He sand Day in the Life of the Tree.

What part/parts of Break Away did your dad contribute to?

My dad did the lyrics and I did the music. He had the idea for Joey Bishop the talk show host - he used to say let's break away. I did not write the lyrics.

I have to go to my board - we have to do this again. Please come to my board. I lots of news so stay tuned. See you soon!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:22:10 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

Thanks so much Ziggy!

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »

Sure, no prob Wink as for myself tho i wasn't there on time, very happy that some questions adressed attention to Wild Honey or Love You, and some Friends too! that's awesome, hope it makes it keep in mind for him in his team.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:30:21 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »

Unfortunately, there were some real softball questions and he answered some of those instead of the good ones that required some thought. I was hoping he would answer the question concerning his voice change ('74/'75) which was asked here in different ways by a couple of different posters and one poster at the BW board. Brian didn't want to touch questions like that - opting for questions about whether he liked cake or pie. Geeeez. Again, I know the questions can't be screened prior to the Q&A period, but there's only 1/2 hour for Brian to answer all of them (including the dumb ones). And even some of the good questions were answered very basically and/or not thoroughly enough as I kind of expected going into this thing. Better than "Yes" and "No" answers, I guess........

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

Meh, if they are truly scholars/historians then they should have resources/connections/time at their disposal that most people don't have. A chat in an online forum should be precisely for those people who don't have those luxuries/resources.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »

How about no.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx