gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 01:16:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 398175 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2014, 01:04:58 AM »

Back OT-ish - the guy who came up with the concept for the Endless Summer album is noted in the (sparse) credits. I don't have my copy to hand, but his initials aren't MEL.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:21 AM »

At the moment there is a thread that celebrates one certain song that I find extremely dull. I know I have the right to state my opinion and I could go there and post about me not liking that song, but what good would that do?

Wait 'til my Bill and Sue appreciation thread comes around! angel

I'll keep clear of that one, rest assured! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2014, 01:57:17 AM »

As for what constitutes fair, acceptable criticism...

"Mike seems to sometimes take too much credit" - acceptable.

I'd even accept "Mike always takes too much credit and I hate that".

I'll give Carol Kaye a hard time for her lies any chance I get (she does the same to me).

The same? She gives you a hard time for your lies? angel

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »

I'll give Carol Kaye a hard time for her lies any chance I get (she does the same to me).

The same? She gives you a hard time for your lies? angel

My truths are lies to her.  In this I am far from alone. Ask Alan Slutsky. Grin

Nicko1234
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2014, 02:12:22 AM »

As mentioned previously, this thread was clearly started as an attempt at trolling and it has succeeded spectacularly.

I think Billy does a fine job as a moderator with little assistance but I think lessons can be learnt from this. The thread could have been closed or, at the very least. actions should have been taken to keep it in order.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:47 AM »

Beg to differ, but Billy does get excellent support from Klasse & Craig. Right now, we have, for the first time in a looong while, three fine, fully functioning mods, none of whom has an agenda (or in one case, much hair  Smiley ). This has been their first real test and valuable lessons have been learned. Teams take time to gel. Next time I foresee swift and decisive action. Hopefully not directed at me.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 10, 2014, 03:51:51 AM »

Andrew, don't you think that's an unfair standard or expectation to apply to anyone here, to call out anyone for what they didn't post?

In this case of trolling, In think it is ok to call them out for what they don't post. That's because they don't post anything else but "Mike (paraphrased) has an abominable character" and "You don't agree, you're anti-Brian".

At the moment there is a thread that celebrates one certain song that I find extremely dull. I know I have the right to state my opinion and I could go there and post about me not liking that song, but what good would that do? If I had a SB mindset, I'd post that on and on and go bashing people for liking that song, endlessly. I think it's a good thing I didn't post these things. (Which is the point of this paragraph, not implying one shouldn't ever criticize anything.) 

Not that SmileBrian can't defend himself, if need be,and OSD likewise, but I checked by pulling up " the last posts" of SB ( 25 of them) and what I found was (maybe) 7 of those 25( admittedly by my count) could be construed as bashing Mike; that's a FAR cry from "they don't post anything else

What if those 7 were directed at Brian Wilson, with the same tone of hatred and hammer-like frequency? I doubt it would be given a free pass.

Is it childish to make this comparison? maybe. But I'm not writing 10 posts a day in their style bashing Brian just to make this point. Thank God I've got more to do with my time. Do I want or need frequent and idiotic Brian-bashing to make it even? No. Mike isn't my idol and it doesn't hurt my delicate TM soul to read bad things about him. It's just plain pure embarassment. But if this is the messaeg board the majority wants, fine.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »

The Albert Hall seem to have updated their site today.  Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am.  Yay!

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2014, 06:47:17 AM »

Beg to differ, but Billy does get excellent support from Klasse & Craig. Right now, we have, for the first time in a looong while, three fine, fully functioning mods, none of whom has an agenda (or in one case, much hair  Smiley ). This has been their first real test and valuable lessons have been learned. Teams take time to gel. Next time I foresee swift and decisive action. Hopefully not directed at me.

LOL yup I'm bald Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:24 AM »

The Albert Hall seem to have updated their site today.  Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am.  Yay!

So this is really JUST Mike & Bruce? No other bands on the bill?....no other band members on the bill?

...good luck guys!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2014, 07:10:55 AM »

I would like to chime in here and apologetically get on a soapbox to do it.

I know both Smile Brian and Pinder from conversations on this board and the fact is I believe both to be good people, and they are both capable of meaningful contributions here. I think the antagonism here in this thread is proof of a greater issue, which is that when someone disagrees with you on a subject, you have a tendency of writing off that person entirely.

If you really like a movie and meet someone who despises that movie, you might conclude from that that this is not a person you want to be friends with. And this can become even more exacerbated when two people agree on a great deal. If I considered myself a movie expert and I met another person who was a movie expert, I might be even more upset if we disagreed over a particular movie.

And I think that happens here to an extent. Two people are fans of the same band but have very different opinions on the band. But is this a good reason to write someone off entirely? In this case, I’d say not. Again, both SB and PGTK are good contributors. And to be honest, I can see where both are coming. Both are working to compensate for what they consider to be a mythical representation of history. When one side ups the ante, the other side feels obligated to do the same. The fact is, I don’t think this will ever end (if not with these two posters than with others) because, in reality, it’s a clash of values not a clash of facts. Both sides know the facts, but they both reach different conclusions from those facts. Is it because they enter into the discussion with an already-established conclusion? Perhaps, and one should work to overcome that but that’s always going to be an ongoing process.

The reaction to this (and here I am NOT referring to the actions of the mods), in my view, is not to try to eliminate the discussion or to tone down the rhetoric. Discussions happen and conversations get heated. Yes, things would help if we all recognized that the anger (or annoyance) we express and feel about a topic does not equal the rightness of our position. What I think would help more though is if we recognize that the person I am talking to is not a monster or incapable of good discussion just because, right now, they happen to be expressing a point of view I don’t like, using an argumentative style that bothers me. Yes, this is a trap I fall into myself but I try to avoid it.

As an example, I have had many a heated debate with guitarfool over politics in the sandbox. Granted, I don’t things ever got too far out of control there (maybe others would disagree, though nothing was ever said that got anybody banned) but there were definitely heated moments. Nevertheless, while I know that guitarfool and I will always disagree on politics, sometimes to the point of hostility, we can nevertheless have perfectly reasonable discussions about other topics elsewhere. In fact, we share a great deal of the same point of view on many subjects. So, yes, have a debate but also recognize that just because you disagree with someone, it doesn’t mean that you can never ever find common ground with them. Once you recognize that, perhaps things will feel much less frustrating.

The fact is, this is a community of sorts. And maybe in your actual community there is someone who doesn’t cut their lawn the way you like, or makes their own property look so ridiculous that you feel it’s driving down the property value of the whole neighbourhood. Even in situations like that I feel like the wrong response is to band together and throw that person out for good. I think that toleration (for everyone) is the key. And if you can’t tolerate views that you really dislike, then toleration ultimately means nothing.

Ultimately, what we need to realize that if we keep squabbling over this, we lose sight of the fact that we all have a common enemy: Adrian Baker. It’s time to wake up and realize that. If we don’t live together, we’ll die alone.

God bless. (CURTAIN DRAWS, end of Act I).
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 10, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

So this is really JUST Mike & Bruce? No other bands on the bill?....no other band members on the bill?

...good luck guys!

I doubt they'll have trouble filling it.  The capacity's about 5000 or so, bit more.  But their last indoor show here was at the rather grotty Hammersmith Apollo.  Quite a jump in terms of the quality of venue.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: December 10, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »

Well said rockandroll

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »

Wow. I just read all of the pages in this thread and I'm glad to see order somewhat restored.  I really enjoyed reading AGD's post regarding how he views the band.

I just wanted to mention this (it was more appropriate to the discussion many pages ago) regarding the Smoking Gun rider.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that the rider (or parts of different riders) on that site is definitely not a rider being used by Mike and Bruce post 2007.  I have seen every rider from them as well as the C50 tour as I work for a venue that has booked them every year since 2007. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:40 AM »

I know both Smile Brian and Pinder from conversations on this board and the fact is I believe both to be good people, and they are both capable of meaningful contributions here. I think the antagonism here in this thread is proof of a greater issue, which is that when someone disagrees with you on a subject, you have a tendency of writing off that person entirely.

If you really like a movie and meet someone who despises that movie, you might conclude from that that this is not a person you want to be friends with. And this can become even more exacerbated when two people agree on a great deal. If I considered myself a movie expert and I met another person who was a movie expert, I might be even more upset if we disagreed over a particular movie.

A very thoughtful posting, rockandroll, but I think I respectfully disagree. Your post reminded me of a thread where another poster and I agreed on Today! being our favorite album. But the track I found weakest was one of his favorite tracks and vice versa. No big deal, no animosities.

In this case however, what I perceive as being the problem is that some posters have this totally black-and-white mindset: If you're not 100% anti-Mike, you're negative against the divine Brian Wilson. And it enrages them and they accuse other people instead of accepting their opinion. I'm not sure what let Pinder go off the way he obviously did, as he's not anti-Brian at all.

If you don't share my view, I'm fine with that! Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »

Wow. I just read all of the pages in this thread and I'm glad to see order somewhat restored.  I really enjoyed reading AGD's post regarding how he views the band.

I just wanted to mention this (it was more appropriate to the discussion many pages ago) regarding the Smoking Gun rider.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that the rider (or parts of different riders) on that site is definitely not a rider being used by Mike and Bruce post 2007.  I have seen every rider from them as well as the C50 tour as I work for a venue that has booked them every year since 2007. 

There we go some solid info. Do you know who writes the copy for your ads or where the copy comes from etc.?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »

There we go some solid info. Do you know who writes the copy for your ads or where the copy comes from etc.?

It's solid info why? Because somebody named "shark" shows up on the board and told you something you wanted to hear? I mean, sure he very likely could be telling the truth, but what prior evidence do we have that says this person is telling anything near the truth?

Also by the way, I have a source named "marlin" who has informed me that Bruce will be leaving the group for the rest of the month to pursue a reunion of Bob Sled & The Toboggans to celebrate 48 years of their classic hit "Here We Go (The Surfer Boys Are Going Skiing)"!

So be on the lookout for that! Solid info!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »

I think someone is being silly.  Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 10, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »

It's solid info why? Because somebody named "shark" shows up on the board and told you something you wanted to hear? I mean, sure he very likely could be telling the truth, but what prior evidence do we have that says this person is telling anything near the truth?

Also by the way, I have a source named "marlin" who has informed me that Bruce will be leaving the group for the rest of the month to pursue a reunion of Bob Sled & The Toboggans to celebrate 48 years of their classic hit "Here We Go (The Surfer Boys Are Going Skiing)"!

Can you try and get your friend "marlin" to join us here so he can give us some more solid info? Pretty please?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »

Why are we such dicks to each other?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 10, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »

Who's "Shark"? 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »

Who's "Shark"? 

According to Cam, someone with "solid info".
Nicko1234
« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »

Who's "Shark"? 

According to Cam, someone with "solid info".

Or someone who must be a fraud and imposter because you don`t like what they are saying?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »

I was trolling and baiting "Shark".  I sacrificed myself as bait.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx