gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:15:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 165766 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »

They must think he does, or why else give the guy a series of Carl leads to sing. Including songs that Brian used to sing in his solo concerts, but were originally Carl leads on record (Darlin' and GOK).  It's almost like they want to prove they're the "real Beach Boys," complete with a fake Carl. And video screens with cheesy shots of girls in bikinis during CG  and attempting to get people to show their phones during a song (something that Mike's BB's apparently do now, or at least he posted a photo of it a few months ago on his Facebook page). I don't think the guy sounds a thing like Carl, either. 

Brian had mentioned that Nate sounded "a little" like Carl. Not exactly like him. I'm sure they gave Nate the Carl leads because he is great at singing them....it's ludicrous to think that they used him to replace Carl.

Also, I assure you that phone waving is a common activity done at many concerts. Mike and Bruce did not invent this. So implying that this is Brian's band trying to emulate the Mike and Bruce of the Beach Boys tour band is also ludicrous.

Actually, due to the ridiculous nature of your post (it reads like satire), apologies if you were just joking around LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 15, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »

Kittykat is a first class intellectual and full-time satirist.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:22:33 PM by The Legendary OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »

cheers.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »

Way more classy and tasty than club Kokomo's bud lights.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »

Nice review on Brian's Facebook:

http://www.punksinvegas.com/review-brian-wilson-friends-feat-al-jardine-nate-ruess-blondie-chaplin-december-12-2014-venetian-theatre/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:22:46 PM by Cyncie » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »

Is it common for a show's producer to order the audience to wave their phones around for the benefit of the cameras? It's usually a spontaneous thing or the performer requests it, not a show director.

BTW, why exactly did Melinda sue Joe Thomas to get rid of him? The ease with which Joe managed to pull this special together, get it on PBS, and pull out all the stops to make it look good does kind of make one wonder why Melinda claimed it was Joe trying to benefit from Brian's name. I think Joe already had a name even back then and was working with a lot of fairly big names in country, and Brian's solo career of the past fifteen years might have had a higher profile if they had stuck with Joe.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »

Is it common for a show's producer to order the audience to wave their phones around for the benefit of the cameras? It's usually a spontaneous thing or the performer requests it, not a show director.

For TV production the crowd is usually told what to do at certain times. It's show business.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 15, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »

Kittykat, enjoy M&B at RAH. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 15, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

I told you how recording shows work on page 4 (this thread). It is OK being a slow learner, but you are kinda derailing the thread. Send me a PM next time and I will go over it again.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »

Nice that this board has turned into Blueboard cubed. There's more leeway in opinion on Brian's board than on this one as it is now. Not to mention the fact that every thread turns into personal attacks. I have my opinion and it's as valid as the Brian fanboys. I have seen several Brian shows, and used to enjoy him but it got tiresome after awhile and I came to realize I was more a fan of Brian's band that him as a performer, most of the time,though he was really into it for the Pet Sounds shows. Now that Brian barely performs in them, and is said to be missing cues and not performing as well as he used to, and now turning over large numbers of lead vocals to guest stars, I'm not sure what the point is, for me. I traveled to see Brian a couple of times a few hundred miles out of my way. That was years ago.Now,I'm turned off by segments of his fan base.It's like Apple discussions on tech boards.  You're either for Apple or you're against it. And we can't have that!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 15, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Whether one is an avowed "Brianista," a slave to the funky grooves of M+B, or somewhere in-between, the simple fact is that, when a show is being readied for television broadcast, producers and directors have a long, loooong-held tradition of trying to instruct audiences on their vision for the production, and of doing their darndest to get the crowd to go along with it.

Nothing -- I repeat, "nothing" -- I've heard described having taken place at BW's show sounds even the slightest bit out of the ordinary.

Anyone is free to think it lame, cheesy, or whatever they please, but it's par for the course, folks.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:47:21 PM by R. Smith » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »

Fig. 24244. BW considers wearing a hat with his name on it to make up for sharing leads like he's done all his life, discards notion. (What with having a full head of hair and having shared leads all his life.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:31:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »

Nice that this board has turned into Blueboard cubed. There's more leeway in opinion on Brian's board than on this one as it is now. Not to mention the fact that every thread turns into personal attacks. I have my opinion and it's as valid as the Brian fanboys. I have seen several Brian shows, and used to enjoy him but it got tiresome after awhile and I came to realize I was more a fan of Brian's band that him as a performer, most of the time,though he was really into it for the Pet Sounds shows. Now that Brian barely performs in them, and is said to be missing cues and not performing as well as he used to, and now turning over large numbers of lead vocals to guest stars, I'm not sure what the point is, for me. I traveled to see Brian a couple of times a few hundred miles out of my way. That was years ago.Now,I'm turned off by segments of his fan base.It's like Apple discussions on tech boards.  You're either for Apple or you're against it. And we can't have that!
Go here for M&B fanboys.
http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=Bellagio

DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. has been stuck in my head since Friday night.  Very catchy hook.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. has been stuck in my head since Friday night.  Very catchy hook.
Really is fantastic isn't it?
 If it's any indication album will be Fantastic!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »

Go here for M&B fanboys.
http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=Bellagio

You do realize that Beach Boys Britain buys ads on this page, along with Endless Summer Quarterly. I notice David Beard of ESQ has been made to feel unwelcome here, too, even though he supports Brian and has interviews with him in many issues, including the newest one. And BBB fans seem to be Brian fans for the most part, as well. I'm surprised either of those groups would want to continue buying ads here, modest as though their financial support may be.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 15, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »

Here we are in the year 2014, with Brian still making music at the age of 72, performing with Al, Blondie, and Ricky, putting out new music that could be pretty amazing.  I remember, back in the late 1970's, frequently wondering if Brian would live another year or two, and since then, look at all that he has given the world.  This man is one of the greatest musical figures of the last 100 years, and we are lucky enough to have him still with us today.  I think we should all keep things in perspective.  
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: December 15, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

You do realize that Beach Boys Britain buys ads on this page, along with Endless Summer Quarterly. I notice David Beard of ESQ has been made to feel unwelcome here, too, even though he supports Brian and has interviews with him in many issues, including the newest one. And BBB fans seem to be Brian fans for the most part, as well. I'm surprised either of those groups would want to continue buying ads here, modest as though their financial support may be.

If that happens, time for some sort of fundraiser instead of dripping bile all over the carpet like that! You know how hard bile is to clean!

Viiiicious, ya hit me with a flow-errrrr...

If BBB is such a hotbed of bearded Brianista activity, weird that they haven't discussed the Vegas show! Or posted links or pics or reviews... I'm told in Britain they have "internet cables" and "chip and pin" that does something with the air that lets them download stuff over here. I dunno how it works exactly but funny they haven't talked about it for being such big Brian fans.

Oh well, maybe we can go back to talking about the Vegas show here instead of the advertisers. Classy move there. Real subtle stuff and kind of gives away where you're coming from, hmm?

ya do it every HOUR...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:26:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »

Here we are in the year 2014, with Brian still making music at the age of 72, performing with Al, Blondie, and Ricky, putting out new music that could be pretty amazing.  I remember, back in the late 1970's, frequently wondering if Brian would live another year or two, and since then, look at all that he has given the world.  This man is one of the greatest musical figures of the last 100 years, and we are lucky enough to have him still with us today.  I think we should all keep things in perspective. 

Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 15, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

.....or you don't have to post ridiculous claims like Brian's band is possibly trying to make Nate Ruess a "fake Carl", or implying that because Joe wanted swaying phones out that they're trying to emulate the Mike and Bruce of the Beach Boys band....

I don't care if you've got 100 Brian solo shows under your belt: if you post something that makes little to no sense, be prepared for posters to call you out on it. What is so wrong with Joe asking for the audience to get their phones out? It is a common practice for TV/DVD concerts for the audience to be told to do certain things...It's not worth making a fuss over. What is wrong with Brian dueting with talented modern singers? Nothing. What is wrong with Brian working with Joe again? Nothing (It helped The Beach Boys get a #3 charting record in 2012, and arguably got some of Brian's best recorded material released).

You nitpick about many aspects of Brian's solo career. Don't be surprised when fans of the Beach Boys argue with you when you constantly nitpick about one of their founding members.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »

If that happens, time for some sort of fundraiser instead of dripping bile all over the carpet like that! You know how hard bile is to clean!

Viiiicious, ya hit me with a flow-errrrr...

If BBB is such a hotbed of bearded Brianista activity, weird that they haven't discussed the Vegas show! Or posted links or pics or reviews... I'm told in Britain they have "internet cables" and "chip and pin" that does something with the air that lets them download stuff over here. I dunno how it works exactly but funny they haven't talked about it for being such big Brian fans.

Oh well, maybe we can go back to talking about the Vegas show here instead of the advertisers. Classy move there. Real subtle stuff and kind of gives away where you're coming from, hmm?

ya do it every HOUR...

Maybe no one from BBB went to the show, and don't feel competent to discuss it.  Plenty of Brian shows have been reported on and although the board doesn't have the same setup, there is a greater tendency for restraint, respect and politeness. Nothing wrong with that.  

If there is anything I'd consider bilious, it is at least one of the "cobbled" films on your YouTube page.  You may not care for each and every band member, and no one has to, but raises the question of how much energy one puts into extreme dislike.  Wow.

Just sayin'...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:47:01 PM by filledeplage » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the touching art criticism! It means a lot coming from such a staunch champion of "Pisces Brothers."

You'll be surprised to discover that I was mainly inspired by the social critique in "Student Demonstration Time" and it gave me the courage I needed.  The Boston Globe agreed with you at first the other day, saying I started with "sometimes uninspired literalness" but soon ended up with a pleasing "repeated, retro images eventually coalesce into a tawdry, otherworldly miasma" and " images become less literal and more visionary, intensifying into hallucinatory, stroboscopic collages." So whew!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2014/12/11/movie-review-nova-express-never-gets-old/aONr6237hlE0O3VKtPaGwN/story.html?p1=Article_InThisSection_Bottom

But what the hell does that guy know about Pisces Brothers, am I right?

So... Vegas show, guys? Any more reviews up or are we really gonna start slicing and dicing my collected works? In which case I always thought "I Was a Teenage Beatnik!" needed more love.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:53:28 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »

Talk about a rude and uncalled for "low blow" on Ontor.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »

Naw, perfectly fine! I mean, I'm not a big fan of "Guardians of the Galaxy" and people went nuts for that! Taste makes very little sense and I never get worked up about my things not appealing to more than fringe folks with complicated haircuts. It's just weird that we're talking about this stuff instead of I dunno, the Soundstage thing. But I guess that was sort of her point?

So! Filming with Zooey Deschanel and Kacey whassername for it soon. That sounds like quite a lot of these songs will be cut. EXPANDED DVD PLEASE.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:00:42 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »

Here we are in the year 2014, with Brian still making music at the age of 72, performing with Al, Blondie, and Ricky, putting out new music that could be pretty amazing.  I remember, back in the late 1970's, frequently wondering if Brian would live another year or two, and since then, look at all that he has given the world.  This man is one of the greatest musical figures of the last 100 years, and we are lucky enough to have him still with us today.  I think we should all keep things in perspective.  

Rock!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx