gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:57:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [My band] Hypnotic Eye - Life-Sucking Leech EP [Two-Piece UK Garage Rock]  (Read 3558 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »

My friend and I have been playing together for a good few years now, but finally decided to do some half-way decent attempts at recording material for a self produced EP. Featuring just Drums (me) and Guitar with vocals (my friend) it should be relatively sparse, but I personally feel we definitely make up for the lack of bass - take a listen and see what you think. We've had some good feedback from people so far, and more is always wanted, good or bad!

As a bit of context, the drums and guitar were recorded together in live takes in a barn, with the drums having two overheads and a kick mic, and the guitar having a mic for the amp. The vocals were then overdubbed back at my house a few days later, as well as additional guitar overdubs on two of the tracks. The backing tracks are as we played that, with next to no editing used to ensure a very "live" feel. We hope this comes across in the recordings Smiley

Bandcamp for download/streaming here (Free at time of posting): hypnotici.bandcamp.com/album/life-sucking-leech-ep

Soundcloud playlist: soundcloud.com/hypnoticeye-1/sets/hypnotic-eye-life-sucking-leech-ep

Find us on Facebook here: www.facebook.com/hypnotici

Thanks for listening!

P.S. For those "Freddie" Fans, sorry, not Freddie singing here. But hopefully you'll dig this too Smiley
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:29:49 PM by Freddie French-Pounce » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »

LOVE THIS. The guitar playing is perfect (especially in I'm Bored - the way the guitar and drums intertwine, they work really well together).

As much as I like the 'unplugged' nature of these recordings, I can't wait to see you take this to a studio....especially 'The Stars Are Melting' - that coda deserves a few studio tweaks (reverb, etc). BUT I love the atmosphere you two have created here - the music is just there and nothing distracts you from it.

Again, can't stress the guitar work enough - instead of just backing up the band, it seems like it's just another member of the band - has a personality almost (if that doesn't sound too cheesy haha). Most modern bands I've heard lately tend to use the guitar as a rhythm instrument until a solo comes up in the middle-eighth...you've got this thing playing all sorts of amazing sh*t all through every song - and it flows so well. The lack of bass didn't bother me one iota, but if you added a bass player I wouldn't mind either.

Anywho, I'm def gonna buy a copy when I get my next paycheck (yeah I know it's free but I hate not supporting up-and-coming bands I like). Looking forward to seeing where you guys take this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:03:00 AM »

LOVE THIS. The guitar playing is perfect (especially in I'm Bored - the way the guitar and drums intertwine, they work really well together).

As much as I like the 'unplugged' nature of these recordings, I can't wait to see you take this to a studio....especially 'The Stars Are Melting' - that coda deserves a few studio tweaks (reverb, etc). BUT I love the atmosphere you two have created here - the music is just there and nothing distracts you from it.

Again, can't stress the guitar work enough - instead of just backing up the band, it seems like it's just another member of the band - has a personality almost (if that doesn't sound too cheesy haha). Most modern bands I've heard lately tend to use the guitar as a rhythm instrument until a solo comes up in the middle-eighth...you've got this thing playing all sorts of amazing sh*t all through every song - and it flows so well. The lack of bass didn't bother me one iota, but if you added a bass player I wouldn't mind either.

Anywho, I'm def gonna buy a copy when I get my next paycheck (yeah I know it's free but I hate not supporting up-and-coming bands I like). Looking forward to seeing where you guys take this!

Wow, thanks man! I never expected that kind of praise to come through! I made sure to pass this onto my friend, since the majority of the comments were directed at his guitar playing (not a bad thing).

I like how you labelled it as "unplugged" in nature - I get what you mean, and I hadn't considered that. that's not to say there weren't edits and overdubs in there - there evidently were - but it just allowed the insturments to feel a lot tighter. Your point on "I'm Bored" too is something I'm proud of - I tried to just run the drums with the guitar as closely a I could, and I feel it paid off nicely. The Stars Are Melting "Coda" was my idea too :D i wonder where I got that from... Though to be fair my friend did say he was in a Surf-Rock vibe when he wrote the track, so that works.

And thanks for intending to buy it! That means so much to us as it is, especially since you'll be the first! Puts some change in the kitty  3D

As a final note, if you do have Facebook, if you could drop us a "like" on ther eit would be amazing - helps spread it that little bit more y'know.

But once again, Thank you so much! Be sure to check out our soundcloud for the first demo we ever did for "Which Way (Do I Go)?"

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »

Haha didn't mean to overlook the drumming! I just got carried away with the sound of the guitar. As for drums, I gotta go back to I'm Bored - there was a part, if memory serves correctly, around 2:20 or something where you're hitting the toms and the guitar is riffing up the fret board, then you go right back into the main riff of the song - really worked so well together....there seemed to be a lot of moments like that in every song.

Just gave ya a "like" on facebook! Really hope something happens with this project....keep us updated!

Also, anyone here on SS who drops in on this thread should take a listen to at least a few of the tracks here!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »

My friend and I made a jokey promo video for Count Your Blessings if anyone's interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcPyQGPUIpA

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx