gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:34:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool 1963 Beach Boys Pageant Photo, Wink Martindale...and Richard Kiel RIP  (Read 10502 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »

Just saw that Richard "Jaws" Kiel best known for his role in the James Bond films has died. The obit:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/09/10/jaws-actor-from-bond-films-richard-kiel-dies-at-74/15422945/

This photo courtesy of the Vintage LA site shows Kiel with The Beach Boys, Wink Martindale at that time spinning the hits on station KFWB, and an unknown man even taller than Kiel at a teen beauty pageant called the Teen-Age Fair (labeled "Inter Teen Fair" on this photo) in Burbank, April 1963. Held at the Pickwick Center.

Notice Mike, Dennis, and David -  2nd row with the girls, while you can barely pick out Carl and the top of Brian's head behind Kiel.

Anyone have more info on who the other tall guy may be, or any other bits of info? I thought this was a cool BB's photo that I had not seen or can't remember seeing, worth sharing here at least.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:29:36 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »

Thanks for posting that! It's amazing to see worlds collide like that. I was just reading about Mr. Kiel, RIP. I was a huge Jaws fan when I was younger and of course his role in Happy Gilmore was great.

You may be interested to know that Kiel was in a California movie in 1962, which was later roasted on MST3K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eegah

As some have guessed before, I do reference some MST3K stuff with my username and sig, which comes from that movie (and later in Mitchell).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:02:50 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Watch out for snakes!
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »

Aw man, first I've heard of Richard Kiel passing. I'm a huge 007 fan... what a bummer. Jaws was one of the most iconic villains Bond ever faced. May he rest in peace.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »

The timing was odd, I got home and started catching up with my online stuff, and that photo came up...then news that Kiel had died, then i realized that was why the BB's photo showed up in my newsfeed.

Funny thing, for some reason I never thought of Kiel as an LA scene kind of guy, apart from his obvious job as a Hollywood actor... Smiley...I didn't connect him with the LA scene, but there he is with the young Beach Boys and the pageant girls in '63. Pretty cool stuff.

Kiel did a terrific comedy role on a Monkees episode, playing a Frankenstein-like monster whose creator wanted to teach the ways of the teenage world via the Monkees who ended up at his castle. Kiel as the monster eventually got fitted with hip clothing and a mod haircut courtesy of the band, and he also got to sing a song with a guitar that was him grunting "gooo-raaahhh" over a rock beat.

It's more funny than I made it sound, but I remember that specific episode because Kiel was hilarious.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »

Look very close and you might see some of the competitive dynamic within the band even back in '63...or not.
Dennis has his arm around Miss Culver City's waist, while Mike has his arm on her shoulder.
Who do you think *she* chose to be her friend, if either?  Grin

(That post is done in jest, obviously...)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »

At quick glance, they seemed like 2 giant statues, I didn't recognize Richard. Anyway, thanks for posting that! I'm a fan of old school Bondiana.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »

Look very close and you might see some of the competitive dynamic within the band even back in '63...or not.
Dennis has his arm around Miss Culver City's waist, while Mike has his arm on her shoulder.

Meanwhile Carl is beside Dave taking phone numbers. Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »

I'm curious who the other tall guy might be, considering that Richard Kiel was apparently 7ft, 2in tall, that other guy is actually *taller* than Kiel!

I'm just assuming in 1963 there were not too many 7ft 5in guys walking around SoCal...he looks familiar for some reason.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »

Correction/clarification: I worded the post to suggest this was a pageant called the Teen-Age Fair, when really the "Fair" was a fairly long event spread out over a few weeks put on by KFWB, this year 1963 happened to see the Beach Boys, Dick Dale, and other notable surf bands on the bill. The "Miss Teen California" pageant was only one part of a much larger event.

Sorry for the bad wording!

From what I could piece together, Kiel was there as part of a horror-film event, or something, so perhaps the other tall man was in horror films too? I still can't place him.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »

Very sad news. But an amazing find there.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:11 AM »

Wink Martindale introduced the band when I saw them on July 31st in Ventura. Pretty cool!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:35:22 AM »

Very surprised and saddened at the news, I really liked him in the James Bond films as well as Happy Gilmore. Just recently he gave an interview for Australia's Channel Nine morning talk show "Mornings".

R.I.P.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »

Anyone have more info on who the other tall guy may be, or any other bits of info?

William Engesser
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:27:30 AM »

BW is behind both of them Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »

Hope you don't mind, but I've used the photo with this obituary:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/richard-kiel-rip.html

Fully credited, of course.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »

RIP Richard "Jaws" Kiel

Thanks for posting the picture guitarfool

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the photo is from November 3rd, 1962 in Burbank. David Marks is there.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

David was touring and making TV appearances with the band until October 5th 1963. 11/3/62 they were playing at Leonard's Department Store Grand Opening in Garden Grove and then the Pickwick Dance Party, Burbank.

I declare you corrected.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:06:51 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »

The date is April 5, 1963, and the event is the Second Annual Teen-Age Fair at the Pickwick Recreation Center in Burbank, California. They were scheduled, and listed in the program, for a 5:30 p.m. autograph session.

I have an original Capitol Records promotional 8" x 10" print of this photo, but it did not make the cut for Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, as it did not show Brian and Carl and the Boys were, pardon the pun, overshadowed by Kiel and Engesser. 

I did include a photo from the same event where all five guys are lined up with the beauty pageant contestants. It gives a better view of all five of them. Another photo from this event has the guys threatening to toss David into the pool.  Another one shows them with Jodi Gable, the president of their first fan club, that was published in the May 4, 1963, Cash Box.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »

I noticed too that Rockaway was offering the "official" 8x10 photo with the Capitol stamp on the back for something like 50 bucks...or was it 500? Can't remember. I think Getty Images may even have some shots of this event with the BB's in their archives, if not Getty than another photo service. Thanks for filling in all the info!

Must have been a great span of shows, a lot of surf bands were sharing the bill during that run.

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »

You may be joking, but Dennis never failed to point out the Shindig dancer, or whoever he might have snuggled with when we watched old videos!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »

The date is April 5, 1963, and the event is the Second Annual Teen-Age Fair at the Pickwick Recreation Center in Burbank, California. They were scheduled, and listed in the program, for a 5:30 p.m. autograph session.

I have an original Capitol Records promotional 8" x 10" print of this photo, but it did not make the cut for Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, as it did not show Brian and Carl and the Boys were, pardon the pun, overshadowed by Kiel and Engesser. 

I did include a photo from the same event where all five guys are lined up with the beauty pageant contestants. It gives a better view of all five of them. Another photo from this event has the guys threatening to toss David into the pool.  Another one shows them with Jodi Gable, the president of their first fan club, that was published in the May 4, 1963, Cash Box.

Hey, is your picture of all five of them  with Sherry Marks, Miss Teen Burbank?  I can post that one here, if it is....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

The 1963 Teen-Age Fair began on Friday, April 5, at 5:00 p.m.  So, the Boys were the first major attraction to kick off the fair.  The program noted, "5:30  The BEACH BOYS arrive in person to autograph their pictures and their No. 1 hit record -- "Surfin' U.S.A."

Well, it wasn't quite #1 yet.  "Surfin' U.S.A." was #5 on KFWB and #3 on KRLA at the time. It hit #1 on KFWB for the weeks ending April 20 and 27.  On KRLA, it  reached #1 a little sooner, topping that chart for the weeks ending April 12 and 19.

Wednesday, April 10, was Dick Dale & the Del-Tones Day at the Fair. Dale played a "special Stage Show and Dance Contest" on an outdoor special events stage at 4:30 p.m. and appeared again on the KTTV-TV telecast from the fair at 7:00 p.m.

The Fair closed on Sunday, April 14, with a Family Day and Easter Parade.

Chris
Yeah, that's yet another photo from the same day, the one with the guys and just two beauty contestants. The one I used was with all the contestants. It appeared in the booklet that accompanied the Good Vibrations Box Set, but I used an original Capitol Records 8" x 10" print for better resolution.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

David was touring and making TV appearances with the band until October 5th 1963. 11/3/62 they were playing at Leonard's Department Store Grand Opening in Garden Grove and then the Pickwick Dance Party, Burbank.

I declare you corrected.  Grin

Thanks for the correction.
I thought it was the November 1962 Pickwick party and not the April 1963 one.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 04:05:34 AM »

Thanks for the picture. New to me!

Some trivia: Richard Kiel appeared in a very small role in Elvis Presley's '64 picture "Roustabout":

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:54:19 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx