gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 01:26:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whatever happened to the Thrills?  (Read 1264 times)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2014, 03:49:05 AM »

So, anyone here who remember Irish band the Thrills who were around during the 00s? I was just listening to their second album today when I drove to Work. Great band!

They started off strong with the unashamedly 60s / California pop song Big Sur, which was a reasonable hit. I think their debut album, So Much for the City, is a really solid summer album with its retro-rustic charm. Lead singer Conor Deasy's vocals definately takes some getting used to - I can understand those who think he sounds too whiny. I quite like his sound though.

There are some good songs on the follow-up Let's Bottle Bohemia as well but I think their swansong, Teenager from 2008, was even better. Just out of ciriosity, I did some Thrills googling the other day. According to a news article, EMI dropped them after that album because their three albums had only sold 180.000 copies worldwide.

I recently discovered that they played a small venue near my home in 2008 right around Teenager. A shame I didn't know that back then. Would have loved to see how they were live.

Here's a song off each album:

Big Sur - from 'So Much for the City'
http://vimeo.com/49234623

Whatever Happened to Corey Haim? - from 'Let's Bottle Bohemia'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhZzIzJqek
(Van Dyke Parks arranged the strings on this one)

Nothing Changes Around Here - from 'Teenager'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMp0qsTYY8

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:20:52 AM »

I'm a huge fan as well. Much of what makes me love the Beach Boys makes me like The Thrills - that sun-soaked melancholy, those beautiful melodies, and great vocals.

"Let's Bottle Bohemia" especially is such a strong album! That kind of "indie rock" doesn't get much better than this.

They never officially disbanded, so year after year I'm hoping for a new Thrills record for the summer...
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:54:04 AM »

Yeah, it's a good one. I was pleasantly surprised listening to it on my way to work. It was much better than I remembered. It's usually referred to as their weak album with 'Teenager' hailed as a return to form.

I still prefer the first and third album, but you can't go wrong with songs like Corey Haim, Faded Beauty Queens and The Irish Keep Gatecrashing. And then there's Saturday Night which is my favourite on there.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:14:40 AM »

Yeah, it's a good one. I was pleasantly surprised listening to it on my way to work. It was much better than I remembered. It's usually referred to as their weak album with 'Teenager' hailed as a return to form.

I still prefer the first and third album, but you can't go wrong with songs like Corey Haim, Faded Beauty Queens and The Irish Keep Gatecrashing. And then there's Saturday Night which is my favourite on there.
"Bohemia" has always been my favourite, but really, all 3 Thrills LPs are really good.

I think "elderly" BBs fans (who aren't necessarily into any kind of indie rock) should check 'em out.. Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx