gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 02:20:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beatles Auction News: George's Rickenbacker 425 Just Sold For $605,000  (Read 1685 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:21 AM »

This auction just closed less than 24 hours ago, George's first Rickenbacker, a 425 model, which he bought during a visit to the US in Sept. 1963 to see his sister just sold for 605,000 US at a music auction held by Julien's in NYC.

This is pretty significant because not many true Beatles guitars - meaning ones that they actually played or were seen playing - have come up as the important ones are either owned by the families/estates, have been stolen and never recovered (Paul's original Hofner bass), or have been destroyed (George's 'Ed Sullivan' model Gretsch Country Gent)...

Here is the link to the actual auction with photos and history, click here:

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/124/lot/54425/?url=%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F124%2F%3Fpage%3D1%26sort%3D5%26dir%3D1

Here is the actual guitar:

And here is probably the most famous appearance of the guitar, George and the group on Ready Steady Go:

Other items: A Hofner bass McCartney rented from a shop to play on stage went for 125,000 US, and a first state Yesterday And Today "Butcher Cover" that had been given to a mailroom worker at Capitol by the driver who brought a load of the rejects from the pressing plant sold for $31,250

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »

This auction just closed less than 24 hours ago, George's first Rickenbacker, a 425 model, which he bought during a visit to the US in Sept. 1963 to see his sister just sold for 605,000 US at a music auction held by Julien's in NYC.

This is pretty significant because not many true Beatles guitars - meaning ones that they actually played or were seen playing - have come up as the important ones are either owned by the families/estates, have been stolen and never recovered (Paul's original Hofner bass), or have been destroyed (George's 'Ed Sullivan' model Gretsch Country Gent)...

Here is the link to the actual auction with photos and history, click here:

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/124/lot/54425/?url=%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F124%2F%3Fpage%3D1%26sort%3D5%26dir%3D1

Here is the actual guitar:

And here is probably the most famous appearance of the guitar, George and the group on Ready Steady Go:

Other items: A Hofner bass McCartney rented from a shop to play on stage went for 125,000 US, and a first state Yesterday And Today "Butcher Cover" that had been given to a mailroom worker at Capitol by the driver who brought a load of the rejects from the pressing plant sold for $31,250

Surprised to see how much first state Y&T covers have appreciated as the years have gone by.  I used to have a physician that acquired a first state "Butcher Cover" back in the early eighties and I'm sure he didn't pay $31,000 for it! 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »

I think the price went up, because everybody peeled them, which left less of the ones with the sticker still on...

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »

I think the price went up, because everybody peeled them, which left less of the ones with the sticker still on...

Would imagine that must a a Stereo copy, they sell for a lot more and are rare. That, and the history behind it.

Ebay is overrun with butchers, and they dont sell for a lot in 2nd and 3rd states.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »

I had the 'states' all wrong, I would assume 1st state would be the rarest, and the 2nd state (slick still on?) would be second most rare since everybody tried to make them 3rd state (sticker peeled?)

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx