gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:56:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Jardine Album!  (Read 4379 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »

Interview I stumbled on by Al. Also makes mention of 'Wishing You Were Here' with Chicago. “We should do that on another Beach Boys album,” Jardine said, “and do our own arrangement of it.”

www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/05/07/4210514/mayfest-on-main-brings-in-beach.html
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »

Huh

Where in the article does it mention an album from Matt? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »

Huh

>>“He can sing almost any part that you give him,” Al Jardine said, eager to hear the results on Matt’s own forthcoming CD. <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »

Huh

Briefly, here:

“He can sing almost any part that you give him,” Al Jardine said, eager to hear the results on Matt’s own forthcoming CD.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »

Damn, 20-some seconds late...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »

....and, I never knew that Al Jardine arranged the Beach Boys' harmonies on Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here". Shocked
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »

Is Matt playing Foskett's former role (i.e. recording a rough sketch of the vocal arrangements)? Is Foskett still a part of Brian's recording team?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »

Is Matt playing Foskett's former role (i.e. recording a rough sketch of the vocal arrangements)? Is Foskett still a part of Brian's recording team?

Let's hope not...

I'm sure he still is though. I have nothing against Jeff, and he definitely helps Brian out in the live situation. But studio wise, he annoys me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »

Huh

Briefly, here:

“He can sing almost any part that you give him,” Al Jardine said, eager to hear the results on Matt’s own forthcoming CD.

maybe a ref to this:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17520.0.html

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »

....and, I never knew that Al Jardine arranged the Beach Boys' harmonies on Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here". Shocked

Not surprised; someone had to arrange them, and the song's composer, Peter Cetera, probably wouldn't have had the knack for arranging Beach Boys-esque harmonies on the fly. Carl's vocal arrangements, at the time at least, were broader and had less moving parts. If Bruce had been involved, I would've guessed it was him, but since he wasn't, the next likeliest choice in my mind would've been Al.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »

[/quote]

>>“He can sing almost any part that you give him,” Al Jardine said, eager to hear the results on Matt’s own forthcoming CD. <<

[/quote]

So could Al at one time, before he lost his higher range.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »

I like the song. Imagine it with Dennis' lead vocals...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:41 AM »

...which means it could suit even Dave.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »

I like the song. Imagine it with Dennis' lead vocals...

...and Carl on the bridge singing Cetera's part.

That version (with Dennis & Carl) would've been perfect for M.I.U., L.A. (Light Album), or even KTSA, but they could still make a nice version with Brian on lead and Al on the bridge.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »

I went to the Surf City All-Stars gig in North Myrtle...was a very good show, no surprises in the setlist, but Al, Dave, Dean and Matt were all in fine voice, and the show was excellent. The band is very tight, the sound was perfect and the vocals were really great.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:14:23 PM by zatch » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

Let's hope not...

I'm sure he still is though. I have nothing against Jeff, and he definitely helps Brian out in the live situation. But studio wise, he annoys me.
Why does he annoy you in the studio?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »

Let's hope not...

Because sweetdudejim has trouble harmonizing with Jeff's mighty falsetto.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Let's hope not...

Because he's always there eating all the food. I thought he was trying to keep the weight off. What the heck man?

Nah, but for real I just feel like he presence kinda got obnoxious after a while. I didn't mind him Live at the Roxy and I thought he was decent on most of BWPS. However, despite by and large coming to accept BWPS as Brian's finished SMiLE, whenever I hear Jeff's voice coming through the speakers on "Our Prayer" I cringe.

Anyways, then on the largely enjoyable BWRG it drove me nuts to hear him reprising part of "Farmer's Daughter" on "I Got Rhythm" or whatever. Especially hearing that it was his idea to do it. Yuck. His voice really isn't that similar to Brian's and it was just annoying. Same with his voice on TWGMTR. I understand that they had to have a "falsetto" guy but I wish there coulda been more Bruce in that role. Or even....well........Brian. I think he could do it if he wanted. But whatever, I really dig Matt Jardine's voice and I'm excited to hear how things work out on this new album and Brian's next shows. I just hope Matt doesn't plan on wearing any tucked in fluorescent tank tops or sweet ponytails. Nah, just kidding. Kinda. He really did have close to the worst sense of style I've ever seen in a human being. And he doesn't even have the excuse of being famous.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx