gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 11:40:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Runaways  (Read 1782 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »

Any Runaways fans out there?
One of the first successful all-girl rock 'n' roll bands, and more than that, punk legends. They burst onto the scene in 1975/76 - blazed in punk rock glory, backstage abuse and teenage dreams - and were gone for good in 1979. When they started and almost immediately had overnight success all of the Runaways were between 15 and 17 years old. They left us with 3 (4) great albums, while many of the individual members continue to rock until the present day (most famously Joan Jett, of course).

In my book their 1976 debut (↑) remains of the great landmark punk rock albums.

P.S.

An insightful hour-long interview with former lead singer Cherie Currie (on the first 2 LPs) from 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDlkPaNds0
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

Yeah totally! The Runaways were an exciting band during their time. Catchy, sleazy punk rock. And I like a portion of Joan Jett's solo stuff. Not so much Lita's though. Although I think she's very talented, Lita's solo stuff just doesn't speak to me. I think she was married to Tony Iommi for a couple of days or something like that?

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »

Yeah totally! The Runaways were an exciting band during their time. Catchy, sleazy punk rock. And I like a portion of Joan Jett's solo stuff. Not so much Lita's though. Although I think she's very talented, Lita's solo stuff just doesn't speak to me. I think she was married to Tony Iommi for a couple of days or something like that?
I've never listened to Lita's solo stuff. Don't know why. Maybe I should. Always thought she was the hottest Runaway, to be honest. Despite the competition.

Grin
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »

Massive fan here!

Sandy West is one of the greatest drummers ever, BTW! Her and Tommy Ramone had the best up-beats of anyone ever, for any nerds here who know or care what that means.

I love them with Cherie better than after but love Joan's solo stuff.

Jackie and Lita were the hottest Wink

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »

Massive fan here!

Sandy West is one of the greatest drummers ever, BTW! Her and Tommy Ramone had the best up-beats of anyone ever, for any nerds here who know or care what that means.

I love them with Cherie better than after but love Joan's solo stuff.

Jackie and Lita were the hottest Wink
Cheesy

Really though, what do you mean by "up-beats"?

EDIT: Oh, you mean drumming-wise? Okay.. for a second there I thought both were in a relationship that might be described as an "up-beat" - some weird colloquial term I'm not familiar with. So.. musically, I agree. Grin

P.S. 2 books I'm planning on ordering in the near future - anyone read either of these? Both books have received (very) good reviews.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:13:37 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »

Oh man, I need to order both of those this instant!!!

required viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhD8qeOzWs

I kinda disliked the Runaways movie. Kristen Stewart was great but they didn't nail Cherie at all ...... What a waste. Dakota Fanning ain't even close to being cute enough to begin with.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »

required viewing:

Edgeplay is on my to-watch list. Smiley

I kinda disliked the Runaways movie. Kristen Stewart was great but they didn't nail Cherie at all ...... What a waste. Dakota Fanning ain't even close to being cute enough to begin with.

For me it was the other way around. Stewart was 'okay' - which says a lot in light of her usual performances. Fanning's performance was one of the highlights for me. Character-wise you have to keep in mind that they 'cut' a lot of her story prior to the Runaways and during her years with the band. Like the really bad stuff. It was meant to streamline the film's narration, I guess, and to focus on the central plot point of her loss of innocence and eventual redemption. Maybe that's a factor in your perception of how Currie was portrayed? She touches on some of those elements in the interview I've linked in my opening post. A feature film is always its own thing and like Currie states in said interview, "it paints the [general] picture". Overall I really liked the movie. Michael Shannon of course was a stand-out performance as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:41:07 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »

required viewing:

For me it was the other way around. Stewart was 'okay' - which says a lot in light of her usual performances. Fanning's performance was one of the highlights for me. Character-wise you have to keep in mind that they 'cut' a lot of her story prior to the Runaways and during her years with the band. Like the really bad stuff. It was meant to streamline the film's narration, I guess, and to focus on the central plot point of her loss of innocence and eventual redemption. Maybe that's a factor in your perception of how Currie was portrayed? She touches on some of those elements in the interview I've linked in my opening post. A feature film is always its own thing and like Currie states in said interview, "it paints the [general] picture". Overall I really liked the movie. Michael Shannon of course was a stand-out performance as well.

Well put! .... Ever seen Foxes? Cherie herself pulls off what you described better herself in that one, I think Tongue
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »

required viewing:

Well put! .... Ever seen Foxes? Cherie herself pulls off what you described better herself in that one, I think Tongue
The film she acted in, right? No, never seen that.. should I? Does she have a bigger part in it?

By the way, I googled the Edgeplay doc and the Wiki article features this quite funny bit:

Kim Fowley, the band's original manager, originally asked for $10,000 appearance fee in order to appear in the film, but eventually agreed to appear for free if he could sing his answers to questions, with a guitarist accompanying him. Vicki Blue agreed and this is how his appearance was originally shot. However, he then informed her that each of his answers was a song that would require a separate license. Coincidentally, Fowley was shooting a segment for VH1 at about that time, so Blue sent her questions to the VH1 folks, who agreed to let her use their footage.

Grin

Do you have an opinion on Joan Jett's harsh words about the documentary? It's a shame she doesn't appear in it or that much of the original music couldn't be used..
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »

required viewing:

The film she acted in, right? No, never seen that.. should I? Does she have a bigger part in it?

By the way, I googled the Edgeplay doc and the Wiki article features this quite funny bit:

Kim Fowley, the band's original manager, originally asked for $10,000 appearance fee in order to appear in the film, but eventually agreed to appear for free if he could sing his answers to questions, with a guitarist accompanying him. Vicki Blue agreed and this is how his appearance was originally shot. However, he then informed her that each of his answers was a song that would require a separate license. Coincidentally, Fowley was shooting a segment for VH1 at about that time, so Blue sent her questions to the VH1 folks, who agreed to let her use their footage.

Grin

Do you have an opinion on Joan Jett's harsh words about the documentary? It's a shame she doesn't appear in it or that much of the original music couldn't be used..

Having been in many bands myself, I think I can pretty much understand where she's coming from ...... Joan's also been the one to have a consistent and lasting solo career, so I don't know if she wasn't hesitant (at that time) to being dragged back into The Runaways world.

Yeah, in Foxes, Cherie's pretty much the second lead after Jodie Foster. And she's quite good.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx