gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 06:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jack Rieley Interview!  (Read 44789 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »

There's a great interview with Jack Rieley in the latest Record Collector magazine, which reinforces my own personal belief that he was a fantastically positive influence on the group.

The opening section begins: "[Rieley] penned extraordinary songs with all three Wilson brothers; his dense, evocative and poetic lyricism fuelled their robust creativity via a raft of the band's most impressive songs".

Of CATP Rieley says: "It didn't sell, but it's a triumph artistically. Dennis came up with two really good songs; Cuddle Up is wonderful".

Feel Flows: "There's a point in the song, you hear a synth and then there's a "swoosh" sound.... a number of girls told Carl and I that was the closet they'd heard to the sound that would go with an orgasm".

You Need A Mess Of Help: "That's my favourite".

On Bruce Johnston: "...the Wilsons made it clear that they didn't feel comfortable with Bruce Johnston and asked me to let him go. Bruce is a fabulous composer and an outstanding singer but, back then, he didn't fit in with the layered wonder The Beach Boys were becoming". 
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »

Of CATP Rieley says: "It didn't sell, but it's a triumph artistically. Dennis came up with two really good songs; Cuddle Up is wonderful".

exactly. that's a great way to place the album.

Feel Flows: "There's a point in the song, you hear a synth and then there's a "swoosh" sound.... a number of girls told Carl and I that was the closet they'd heard to the sound that would go with an orgasm".

erm... which point? [time wise]  angel

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »

exactly. that's a great way to place the album.

erm... which point? [time wise]  angel

I don't know. If only I had a girl around to help me figure out which bit he means...
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »

Well, the brittle guitar and noodling flute solo does something to me, not sure what though.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

Well, the brittle guitar and noodling flute solo does something to me, not sure what though.  Grin

if you're not feeling truly amazing, it wasn't an orgasm

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »

What's the other really good song Dennis came up with?

(Yes, I went there.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Paulos
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

What's the other really good song Dennis came up with?

(Yes, I went there.)

Oh no you didn't! Well you did actually.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »

There's a great interview with Jack Rieley in the latest Record Collector magazine, which reinforces my own personal belief that he was a fantastically positive influence on the group.

The opening section begins: "[Rieley] penned extraordinary songs with all three Wilson brothers; his dense, evocative and poetic lyricism fuelled their robust creativity via a raft of the band's most impressive songs".

On Bruce Johnston: "...the Wilsons made it clear that they didn't feel comfortable with Bruce Johnston and asked me to let him go. Bruce is a fabulous composer and an outstanding singer but, back then, he didn't fit in with the layered wonder The Beach Boys were becoming". 
Disney Boy 1985 - Jack went from radio DJ, who appears to have interviewed Brian, Mike and Bruce in 1970, (from bellagio) and ends up doing PR, then Manager (songwriter?)  Sound familiar?  

And, I'd be hard pressed to believe one who "inflated" his résume.  I find it a character flaw. Sorry, if that is harsh.

While I enjoyed his obvious affectionate regard for Dennis on the flasher interview for the movie, Forever, I'm not sure that there is credibility with the "firing" scenario. (Johnston) Carl and Dennis aren't here to support that comment.  If there were factions among the band, Jack may have used the discord to his advantage, to create a new power balance. It is the old "new broom sweeps clean" business model.

And, I'm not impressed that it was not a matter of "too many chefs in the kitchen."  Or, that during that era, the Boys were not going in a more progressive direction, anyway, and that he was in the "right place at the right time." They had to have been influenced by witnessing Prague Spring, in 1968, or  with Carl's Conscientious Objector status, and were growing intellectually, as I think nothing "schools" a person as much as travel.  It gives one, what a book or professor, never can.  JMHO

Even though Jack admits that CATP didn't do well charting, it IS a true treasure, I agree with him, that has grown with appreciation for it's artfulness.  (I just lump it with Holland, anyway, as a sort of double LP - always have! )  I do also agree that even stuff that doesn't chart can grow inexorably into greatness.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

Oh you 'Make It Good'-doubters. It's a poetic gem!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »

Is this new issue the one with the Mike Love wannabe on the cover?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »

Disney Boy 1985 - Jack went from radio DJ, who appears to have interviewed Brian, Mike and Bruce in 1970, (from bellagio) and ends up doing PR, then Manager (songwriter?)  Sound familiar?  

And, I'd be hard pressed to believe one who "inflated" his résume.  I find it a character flaw. Sorry, if that is harsh.

While I enjoyed his obvious affectionate regard for Dennis on the flasher interview for the movie, Forever, I'm not sure that there is credibility with the "firing" scenario. (Johnston) Carl and Dennis aren't here to support that comment.  If there were factions among the band, Jack may have used the discord to his advantage, to create a new power balance. It is the old "new broom sweeps clean" business model.

And, I'm not impressed that it was not a matter of "too many chefs in the kitchen."  Or, that during that era, the Boys were not going in a more progressive direction, anyway, and that he was in the "right place at the right time." They had to have been influenced by witnessing Prague Spring, in 1968, or  with Carl's Conscientious Objector status, and were growing intellectually, as I think nothing "schools" a person as much as travel.  It gives one, what a book or professor, never can.  JMHO

Even though Jack admits that CATP didn't do well charting, it IS a true treasure, I agree with him, that has grown with appreciation for it's artfulness.  (I just lump it with Holland, anyway, as a sort of double LP - always have! )  I do also agree that even stuff that doesn't chart can grow inexorably into greatness.

I suggest you read the interview first, then comment. Although exactly what is wrong with going from being a radio DJ to a manager, as long as the results are positive (which they were)? You got something against DJ's? Are they forbidden from career advancement?

"And, I'd be hard pressed to believe one who "inflated" his résume.  I find it a character flaw. Sorry, if that is harsh." What on earth is that a response too? And why would I care if you thought Rieley "inflated" his resume?

Furthermore, assuming you're right and the band were so wimpy Rieley could do whatever he liked - including sack members of the band - and thus it was Rieley who was solely behind Johnston being booted out, with the aim being to balance the group in favour of the Wilson brothers... erm, well: GOOD! That's a good thing. He saw that the Wilson brothers were by far the most talented members of the group and acted accordingly. How is that a bad thing? I find it so odd that Rieley's detractors always site as negative things which are actually positives...

But again, read the interview (in which he's nice about Mike and Al btw) and then comment.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:11:51 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »

I suggest you read the interview first, then comment. Although exactly what is wrong with going from being a radio DJ to a manager, as long as the results are positive (which they were)? You got something against DJ's? Are they forbidden from career advancement?

"And, I'd be hard pressed to believe one who "inflated" his résume.  I find it a character flaw. Sorry, if that is harsh." What on earth is that a response too? And why would I care if you thought Rieley "inflated" his resume?

Furthermore, assuming you're right and the band were so wimpy Rieley could do whatever he liked - including sack members of the band - and thus it was Rieley who was solely behind Johnston being booted out, with the aim being to balance the group in favour of the Wilson brothers... erm, well: GOOD! That's a good thing. He saw that the Wilson brothers were by far the most talented members of the group and acted accordingly. How is that a bad thing? I find it so odd that Rieley's detractors always site as negative things which are actually positives...

But again, read the interview (in which he's nice about Mike and Al btw) and then comment.
Disney Boy 1985 - I stood back and looked at the whole picture, not picking a faction, but just looking at the situation. I think. You seem to have chosen, by saying that it was a "good thing" - and I've read many places where it was discovered that the resume was inflated ( which is easily discoverable these days online.)  Neither of us was there, (I wasn't for sure.) In the end, Johnston got a Grammy, and sang on most of the album work anyway.  It seemed to work for him, and they asked him to return. It is common in business for a new boss, to get rid of anyone more knowledgeable than them.  Johnston had produced stuff since he was in his teens.  Bosses always want to be the smartest. Sometimes, they aren't.

No one suggested a "glass ceiling" for DJ's.  

But, I feel that what happened to the Boys, was less about Jack, and more about the band members, growing from their collective work and other influences.  Having seen them, in concert, throughout that era, in college and grad school, and listening to all of their work, and seeing their personal growth, makes me think that growing into the job, around 10 years into their careers gave them new creative confidence.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:48:10 PM by filledeplage » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »

I'd only fault him if he hadn't gotten good results. He did, so who cares if he was full of sh*t in terms of credentials? I don't see what it really has to do with the music, anyway.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »

And, I'd be hard pressed to believe one who "inflated" his résume.  I find it a character flaw. Sorry, if that is harsh.

I'd only fault him if he hadn't gotten good results. He did, so who cares if he was full of sh*t in terms of credentials? I don't see what it really has to do with the music, anyway.
The question really is, would you really want to hire someone who lies about their credentials? While things certainly turned out OK in the short term, had he been inept, it could have been an entirely different story. Had I been Carl and found that out, I would have fired him on the spot.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »

In terms of Bruce, Jon and I discussed this in the Beach Boys In Concert book.  His leaving in 1972 is a thorny issue.  We presented quotes from all the interested parties in the intro to that year and you can see that there was clearly some strong feelings at the time-for example Dennis commented that Bruce was writing solo material and they were a band.  I also included an excerpt from a very telling NME interview in the 1967 chapter-where Bruce explains (in June 67) that he never socializes with the group and despite being in the band for two years didn't really have much of a relationship with them-so it is clear that he was never really chummy with anyone in the band (even in the early days), whereas Carl was really tight (at least for a while) with Blondie and Ricky.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »

The question really is, would you really want to hire someone who lies about their credentials?
Most people who are highly successful will lie, cheat and steal to attain their position, and, as noted, once in his position he did a pretty good job. He saw what needed fixing, and fixed it.
They were directionless, throwing every style and genre against the wall. It took Reilly to come and channel all of this into something marketable and relevant.

And if there's one band who really need(ed) a strong, decisive manager, it's this one.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man with the fake resume.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

The question really is, would you really want to hire someone who lies about their credentials?
Most people who are highly successful will lie, cheat and steal to attain their position, and, as noted, once in his position he did a pretty good job. He saw what needed fixing, and fixed it.
They were directionless, throwing every style and genre against the wall. It took Reilly to come and channel all of this into something marketable and relevant.

And if there's one band who really need(ed) a strong, decisive manager, it's this one.

(Stephen Newcombe) - many can "fake it till they make it." 

Many get away with it. 

I'd rather not be under the scalpel of a "poser" surgeon.   Wink

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »

How many people that fall under your definition of "highly successful" do you actually know?  Not know of, but know? Now, do many highly successful people cheat and lie?  Yes, as do many woefully unsuccessful people. But most?  No, they don't, or they are not successful for any length of time.

As someone who who actually hires attorneys for my law firm based upon their resumes, if one of my candidates included an entry that they had won the Pulitzer Prize while at NBC News when they did not (in fact, the truth was apparently that Rieley never even worked at NBC News), they would in fact be terminated, no matter how "successful" the liar turned out to be for my firm. Believe it or not, the credibility of our highly successful firm is the bottom line. That is how we have stayed successful for nearly 100 years.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:33:29 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »

Thing is, the successful liars sound just like you do up there --  complete with decelerations of experience and appeals to authority!

I can say this because I have a Peabody Award. Alright, some of my friends do. That just goes to show you how discerning the Peabody people are.

This town apparently runs on bullshit. Obviously a gifted gabber will do well in showbiz -- perhaps not at Wilford Brimley's law firm.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:30:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »

Thing is, the successful liars sound just like you do up there --  complete with decelerations of experience and appeals to authority!

I can say this because I have a Peabody Award. Alright, some of my friends do. That just goes to show you how discerning the Peabody people are.

This town apparently runs on bullshit. Obviously a gifted gabber will do well in showbiz -- perhaps not at Wilford Brimley's law firm.

well, I have no idea what you're trying to say in this post--but you're absolutely hilarious in the Mike Love thread.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »

That world class liars without degrees do well in showbiz as opposed to law firms?

That liars present credentials to appeal to authority like you did to paper over any cracks?

Ruthless bastards can do quite well for themselves. Let's not pretend they only exist in movies.
Anyway! I'm not THAT interested in comparing first hand knowledge of success or bastardry.

Just one bastard interests me here! Rieley. An amusing character, I can see why he got on for a time with some of them. And why he had to go. But the work he helped coax them into doing doesn't seem too shabby in 2013, does it?

So what sort of business did he get into in the ensuing decades? Does the interview go into any of that...

" He  opened  a  sex  shop  in  Yokohama, pushed  junk in
Beirut,  pimped  in  Panama.  During   World  War   II  he
shifted into high, took over a dairy  in Holland  and cut
the  butter  with  used  axle  grease, cornered  the K.Y.
market in North Africa, and finally hit the  jackpot with
slunks.  He  prospered  and  proliferated,   flooding  the
world  with  cut  medicines  and cheap  counterfeit goods
of every variety. Adulterated  shark repellent,  cut anti-
biotics,  condemned  parachutes,  stale   anti-venom,  in-
active serums and vaccines, leaking lifeboats."

- Naked Lunch

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:54:30 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

Whatever, this is starting to derail and it shouldn't get personal with another good poster.  The point is Rieley told a whopper and when found out he had to go (or that is the excuse they used, which was a valid one). And you were still hilarious in the Mike Love thread.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:53:08 PM by southbay » Logged

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »

estimating how many successful liars there are out there in ANY field based upon how many get caught would be questionable logic.....
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »

We need to compile a big list of PEOPLE THE BEACH BOYS FIRED. It would be epic. Filled with footnotes. Cousins, brothers, fathers, neighbors, strangers, friends, family... you! You're OUT!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:59:40 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »

We need to compile a big list of PEOPLE THE BEACH BOYS FIRED. It would be epic. Filled with footnotes. Cousins, brothers, fathers, neighbors, strangers, friends, family... you! You're OUT!

Paging Steve Gains!!!!!

Now that would be a book I would read over and over and over......
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx