gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:40:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gettin Hungry  (Read 22040 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »

I never knew what to think of it. It definitely emphasizes the failure of Smiley Smile, the low point, and what we got instead of what we could have got. But then again the sense of failure just makes it all the more haunting and melancholy. I just listen to it half sad and half appalled, and in the end it's hard for me to sum up an overall impression.

BUT SCREW IT THE FACES VERSION IS AWESOME

So cool and thanks TonyW for posting the link.  Rod and Ronnie singing Gettin' Hungry! Maybe a little too long by a minute but great cover, nevertheless.  Thanks!  Wink

But, I didn't ever look at Smiley as a failure.  It felt like a gem that the world "was just not ready for."

And there was GV and H&V, and the beautiful Wind Chimes, Wonderful, Little Pad, etc.

Little did we know that Smiley was only a "window to a mansion."

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »

Me?  I fookin' loves me some "Gettin' Hungry"!  Great track.

And the live go of it in Hawaii is fab as all get out, too.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »

Smileysmile was not a failure, nor is it today. It is simply a different approach. Creatively, it is minimalist. It is like looking  at a Japanese Zen painting and then looking at Smile and seeing an Albert Bierstadt landscape . They both might depict waterfalls, as an example, but the approaches depicting the waterfall would be radically different.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »

Paging Dr. Doe...
[/quote]

Still suspended.
[/quote]

What for this time?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »

Not sure.  Billy said he wasn't involved but it was for some F bomb attack on some unwitting poster.  I didn't see it on the board myself.
Anyway, 30 days in Siberia as of like 10 days ago or something.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:58:29 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 10:25:26 PM »

Classic "quiet verse/loud chorus" from the era. I do love that organ sound and the guys seem to be having a lot of fun on it (save Brian's frustration in the intro evidenced on SOT 18). I dig it.

Watch out for snakes!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »

fun song... it''s not hurting anyone
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 12:37:22 AM »

An essential track from an essential Beach Boys album. In mono thank you very much! None of this "oh, I finally get Smiley Smile now it's in stereo" crap.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:39:47 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 12:49:08 AM »

Was always fascinated at this promotion of the single. Is it authentic or a mockup?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
MBE
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 01:04:57 AM »

An essential track from an essential Beach Boys album. In mono thank you very much! None of this "oh, I finally get Smiley Smile now it's in stereo" crap.
Thank you. If I never hear stereo Beach Boys pre Friends again, I wouldn't care.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 05:35:30 AM »

Hear, hear!

Oh man, and that Faces abomination. Noooooooo!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 05:39:35 AM »

For years, I wondered what Domenic Priore was on about in LLVS when he said that the Lei'd In Hawaii concerts featured a rocking version of Gettin' Hungry that didn't slow down for the verses (not quoting directly, that's the gist of what he said as I recall it).

For years I wondered what those Hawaii concerts were like, and what the mysterious Hawthorne Boulevard was like, too.

And then I heard them. I'm still not sure whether I've heard all of the sets they played, but in what I've heard, Hawthorne Boulevard is just a dull instrumental less than a minute long based on 12-bar blues changes and Gettin' Hungry... is performed with loud choruses and slow, slow verses. So basically like the single and album track, only not as well played or sung as that.

People rip into David Leaf for his over-kind liner notes on the twofers, but Domenic was just as unhelpful in some of the things he wrote, too...!

I still wonder what a live, more rocking Gettin' Hungry might sound like (think a version that has proceeded even further down the road to the sound of the 'Wild Honey' album)... but I doubt I'm ever gonna hear it. And if I do, I'm pretty DAMN sure it won't be the Beach Boys singing it...!

Actually, musically speaking, I suppose you could sort of say that Wild Honey, the single, IS Gettin' Hungry gone a bit further down the road to a white R&B sound. A loud chorus driven by a repetitive, non-guitar-based riff (organ in GH, theremin in WH) that oscillates between two chords, with lots of 'perculating' percussion. The verses of WH are much beefier than those of GH, of course, but that's the bit that's been 'R&B'd up' in the transition...!

Just a passing thought, nothing to see here...!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »

Smiley Smile is a genius piece of work and was way ahead of its time! Gettin' Hungry may not be the greatest track on it, but it's still awesome - and that opening blasting through ya speakers after the quiet fade of Wind Chimes: brilliant piece of sequencing. Love it!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »

I love the intro and the slow verses, but the chorus should have been more R&B like, with real drums and a bass that doesn't just play the root.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »

Was always fascinated at this promotion of the single. Is it authentic or a mockup?

Well, it does show the Dutch picture sleeve of the Gettin Hungry release. Makes me wonder if this particular ad was used for a Dutch magazine.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Nicko1234
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

Now to open a can or worms...

What are the opinions on the Celebration version?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »

Hilariously awful. I mean it has worth in how absurd it really is, but it's a really, really wretched version. It baffles me that Mike not only bothered to dig that song, of all songs, back out, but also what he did to it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »

Hilariously awful. I mean it has worth in how absurd it really is, but it's a really, really wretched version. It baffles me that Mike not only bothered to dig that song, of all songs, back out, but also what he did to it.

Wow, I'd never heard the Celebration version before. And now that I have, I hope I never have to hear it ever again.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »

Same.  First time for me, too, and just... wow.  What a freaking abomination.  Just on it's own merits it's terrible, but when one considers the source material available to them to play with.

Just.  Wow.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »

The refrain is so silly it makes me laugh.

Other than that, I probably share Auldsyrfahdood's opinion on this if he has heard it. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 10:03:35 AM »

The celebration version is cheesy, but I like it! (It's stuck in my head right now too)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »

I bought Smiley Smile upon it's release in September 1967. Weird as it may seem I can clearly remember sitting in the car, admiring its cover art on the way home. It may not have been a failure as asserted in a post above, but I can assure you that it was not a hit. At least not in my crowd. Whereas a year earlier the records of the Beach Boys had been a feature at every party (think side two of Today, and even Pet Sounds had featured at a Christmas '66 gathering) I don't believe Smiley Smile ever saw the top of a turn-table beyond my basement. Pepper, Pepper, Sgt. Pepper absolutely dominated - and the Doors (Light My Fire), and the (Young) Rascals (Groovin' and Collections), and Cream (Disraeli Gears).

The problems with Smiley Smile as I see it now were that (1) the dam thing wasn't finished. You'd think that having given up on the original vision for Smile they'd have at least completed its alternate version, but no, they deliver nine finished tracks, a fragment of a chant, and the GV single, the production values of which are completely at odds with the minimalist aesthetic of the album. And (2) the sequencing. At the very moment when the concept album dominates Rock the Beach Boys deliver a radical departure with a collection of tracks in no particular order that is ultimately and utterly incoherent! And (3) the production itself made it all sound like one big slab of mud.   

Too bad, because it now seems that all the pieces were actually there that might easily have been assembled to produce an album of Art Rock on par with the great progressive sounds of that era. The re-envisioned Smiley Smile that follows, based on the 2012 stereo remaster, sounds crisp and clear, flows seamlessly, and delivers an emotional payoff that elevates the work to a higher plane a la Pepper.

Well, You’re Welcome
Heroes and Villains
Wonderful
Getting Hungry ( lop off the opening drill-press – start at “I wake up in the morning…”)
Interlude: Wonderful piano riff from SOT
You’re With Me Tonight (from Hawthorne)
With Me Tonight
Interlude: HV vocal/piano riff from SOT
She’s Goin Bald
Whistle In
Good Vibrations (Hawaii rehearsal version)
Mama Says
Vegetables (Hawthorne version with 4 bar bass intro)
Interlude: Wonderful piano/vocal riff from SOT
Wind Chimes
Fall Breaks and Back to Winter
Water Chant (from SOT)
Little Pad (minus laughing breakdown)
Surf’s Up (Brian solo Fall ’67)
Cabinessence (doing doing/arabesques from SOT)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »

I bought Smiley Smile upon it's release in September 1967. Weird as it may seem I can clearly remember sitting in the car, admiring its cover art on the way home. It may not have been a failure as asserted in a post above, but I can assure you that it was not a hit. At least not in my crowd. Whereas a year earlier the records of the Beach Boys had been a feature at every party (think side two of Today, and even Pet Sounds had featured at a Christmas '66 gathering) I don't believe Smiley Smile ever saw the top of a turn-table beyond my basement. Pepper, Pepper, Sgt. Pepper absolutely dominated - and the Doors (Light My Fire), and the (Young) Rascals (Groovin' and Collections), and Cream (Disraeli Gears).

The problems with Smiley Smile as I see it now were that (1) the dam thing wasn't finished. You'd think that having given up on the original vision for Smile they'd have at least completed its alternate version, but no, they deliver nine finished tracks, a fragment of a chant, and the GV single, the production values of which are completely at odds with the minimalist aesthetic of the album. And (2) the sequencing. At the very moment when the concept album dominates Rock the Beach Boys deliver a radical departure with a collection of tracks in no particular order that is ultimately and utterly incoherent! And (3) the production itself made it all sound like one big slab of mud.   

Too bad, because it now seems that all the pieces were actually there that might easily have been assembled to produce an album of Art Rock on par with the great progressive sounds of that era. The re-envisioned Smiley Smile that follows, based on the 2012 stereo remaster, sounds crisp and clear, flows seamlessly, and delivers an emotional payoff that elevates the work to a higher plane a la Pepper.

Well, You’re Welcome
Heroes and Villains
Wonderful
Getting Hungry ( lop off the opening drill-press – start at “I wake up in the morning…”)
Interlude: Wonderful piano riff from SOT
You’re With Me Tonight (from Hawthorne)
With Me Tonight
Interlude: HV vocal/piano riff from SOT
She’s Goin Bald
Whistle In
Good Vibrations (Hawaii rehearsal version)
Mama Says
Vegetables (Hawthorne version with 4 bar bass intro)
Interlude: Wonderful piano/vocal riff from SOT
Wind Chimes
Fall Breaks and Back to Winter
Water Chant (from SOT)
Little Pad (minus laughing breakdown)
Surf’s Up (Brian solo Fall ’67)
Cabinessence (doing doing/arabesques from SOT)

Each to their own. I think Smiley Smile is almost perfect - ironically, it's the best track (Good Vibrations) that spoils it, being so completely at odds with the surrounding material.
Perfection doesn't always mean pristine production and perfect harmonies - as a lo-fi avant-garde minimalist gem Smiley Smile works absolutely brilliantly and it's place in the Beach Boys canon is as a fascinating and wildly original one-off.
I personally think anyone who would willingly ditch the hilarious laughter from the beginning of Little Pad has just completely missed the point of the entire record!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »

Smiley Smile feels pretty finished to me. I actually usually forget "Good Vibrations" is even on it, that belongs to a different era.

Also, you take out the laughing in "Little Pad" and you remove a great deal of its charm.

Also, more like PM in the TM (aka a Prime Minister you receive at night containing rare unrealized bryan wilson demos called "f*** mike love" and "hoh hoh bobby" that the mods told you you can't post about on the board)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »

Obviously, the original sequence does not attempt an elements suite, but when you cross-fade the water chant into Little Pad the effect is like seeing the island paradise rising from the sea on the horizon. The laughing breakdown then becomes superfluous. Try it, you might like it.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx