gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:33:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson and the Rock-Si-Chord  (Read 6895 times)
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm wondering if anybody on this board knows when Brian Wilson procured the Rock-Si-Chord.

I swear that I'm hearing it adding subtle accents here and there on Friends (on the title track and "Passing By", for example).

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »

That seems to be an accurate assessment.  It's not on Wild Honey, but does seem to be on Friends quite a bit.  Busy Doin' Nothing is another track that seems to feature it.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure its on the title track, did it have a a clavinet sort of setting? I think it's on the early version where strings are playing the vocal parts that I always hear something like that somewhere in the mix.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »

Forgive my ignorance but what is a Rock-Si-Chord?
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »

A keyboard designed to simulate a harpsichord for rock and roll (hence the name). Brian put it to great use on "Add Some Music to Your Day". I swear that I hear it here and there while listening to Friends.
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »

That seems to be an accurate assessment.  It's not on Wild Honey, but does seem to be on Friends quite a bit.  Busy Doin' Nothing is another track that seems to feature it.
It was introduced in 1967, presumably Brian (or somebody) got a hold of one by early '68. If that's what I'm hearing.

It's on "Diamond Head" as well (under the pedal steel).

I'm pretty sure its on the title track, did it have a a clavinet sort of setting? I think it's on the early version where strings are playing the vocal parts that I always hear something like that somewhere in the mix.

It definitely had a clavinet setting. Brian used that for "Add Some Music to Your Day".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »

A keyboard designed to simulate a harpsichord for rock and roll (hence the name). Brian put it to great use on "Add Some Music to Your Day". I swear that I hear it here and there while listening to Friends.

Thank you. I have a degree in music and I assumed it was some kind of chord construction I had never heard about.  LOL LOL LOL
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »

Was the Baldwin used for the Smiley Smile Wind Chimes tag? (and that pretty little instrumental on SOT 18)

Watch out for snakes!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:08 PM by zatch » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

Early '68. I don't think the version I believe the boys had (model 200A) was released until then. I have one and have used it extensively in my own recordings. The best way I could describe the sound is it's like a 'combo organ harpsichord', though creative use of the Lute setting can get you into a thing that can almost sound like an upright piano.

It doesn't have a 'Clavinet' setting specifically, but you can get into the ballpark. The 200A has 4' and 8' stops, the sounds are Harpsichord, Lute, Cembalo, and two different 'Elec. Guitar' selections. You can select any number of these combinations, along with a couple of 'accenter' options to modify the decay. The Rocksichord has no touch sensitivity and has a high-quality sound that works well in dense mixes. I'd bet it's all over the place on BB records ... 'We're Together Again' (the chimey sounds toward the end) is the most prominent to my ears. ... and yeh, 'Friends' and 'Passing By' sound just like a Roxi on those little riffs going through. '68-'71 seems to be when they used it for the most part ... though I believe they also had a Clavinet and of course the Baldwin Electric Harpsichord for a period as well.

Brian played the Rocksichord at the Whisky gigs in '70.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:18:03 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »

Was the Baldwin used for the Smiley Smile Wind Chimes tag? (and that pretty little instrumental on SOT 18)
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that's a real harpsichord.

Possibly... I guess it would be the same as the H&V "boys and girls" bit... But did Brian have a harpsichord in the makeshift home studio?

Watch out for snakes!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:00:49 PM by zatch » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

Thank you to DonnyL for the info.!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »

Always good info in threads like this.  Smiley

For an A/B comparison, watch this video from earlier in 1967 of a TV appearance where the Vox version of the electric harpsichord is demonstrated and played in an arrangement seemingly written to showcase the different stops of the Vox. It looks like a similar chassis to the standard Continental, and the sound is very much in tune with the late 60's.

Note that is session man Neil LeVang playing the Gibson 12-string acoustic in the video. I'm a big Neil LeVang fan, and was *this close* (holds up thumb and index finger about an inch apart...) to buying that exact guitar when it was being offered for sale. I'm glad I didn't now, I'd be even more in debt, but anyway...

Dig the Vox and see if you recognize those sounds from any familiar tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DxMX7xDy4

Then compare it to this demo of the Baldwin electric harpsichord from that same era which was used on Abbey Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ybi2T75pzk

And it's cool to see/hear how the Rock- Si -Chord (made in PA about 45 minutes from me, BTW) sounded in comparison. There was a bigger market for electric harpsichords at this time than probably at any other time, and smaller companies like RMI cashed in on the fad.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »

Wow... just wow.

I can only hope any further inquiries (I probably have a few hundred) are this fleshed out. I'm trying to compile a list of players on the post-Pet Sounds, pre-Sunflower material at the moment. This has really helped me out a lot.

Fantastic photo from the Whisky, DonnyL. Always great to see Mike with an epic beard.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »

Brian rockin' the Rock-Si-Chord on stage. Different angle.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:00:37 PM by zatch » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »

Try this, different link:

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »

Try this, different link:

Brian looks kinda paunchy there.

A discipline daddy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »

Also, is that a Rock-si-chord doubling the bass line on 'Til I Die, or is that an Electra-Piano?

A discipline daddy.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:00:33 PM by zatch » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

I'm guessing this instrument is also used in Time to Get Alone?  I always liked that part.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

I'm guessing this instrument is also used in Time to Get Alone?  I always liked that part.
I'm sure that's a real harpsichord, as the basic track was recorded before the band got a Rock-si-chord.

A discipline daddy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »

I'm sure that's a real harpsichord, as the basic track was recorded before the band got a Rock-si-chord.

Indeed.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »

So what we're all saying is that Brian's love of horrible fake harpsichord sounds started early.

Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx