gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 09:29:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Name  (Read 10301 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

They should have gone with The Butt Hole Surfers

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

They should have gone with The Butt Hole Surfers
With that BW classic, "Who was In My Room last night (Who the hell was in my head)"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:05:55 PM by Generation42 » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »

They could have just gone with "Sons of a Beach." Same name, different emphasis.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

'The Beach Boys' is a terrible name, and it really damaged the group's reputation from 1965 onwards. ('The Pendletons' and 'Carl and the Passions' would have been even worse -- too redolent of 50's doo wop.)

I mean,  most of the names of bands formed in the early 60's came to sound a bit dated later in the decade -- Gerry and the Pacemakers, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Four Seasons, even the Beatles. But the name, 'the Beach Boys', unlike most of those other names, seems too tied down to a particular fad : surfing.

The Beatles were allowed to go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to "Tomorrow Never Knows" without people holding the naivete of those earlier songs against them, in a way that the Beach Boys weren't. 'Surfin' USA' and 'Little Deuce Coup' always loomed too large in the mind of the public, even while they were producing 'Heroes and Villains' -- and for that, I blame the band's name.

Would the Boys have better withstood the battering that their reputation and image underwent in the late 60's, if the group name were 'the Kingsmen',  or 'the Ventures', for instance?

This is a joke, right?
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »

The name had nothing to do with their decline, the main cause was Brian's personal issues and at the time there was not sufficient treatment for those issues. There was literally nothing that could have been done to change things because the band's fortunes were so completely tied to Brian and his problems were not understood and not treatable at the time.

Had Brian been in good shape and completely able to lead the band, it wouldn't have mattered if their name was the Beach Boys or Carl and the Passions or the Mike Love Experience or Booger Breath and the Pukes.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

The Beach Boys has always been a cool name for a band. Its an iconic name, perfect in its simplicity.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »

The Beach Boys has always been a cool name for a band. Its an iconic name, perfect in its simplicity.

Yup. And it's so much better than Einstürzende Neubauten or You've Got Foetus On Your Breath (yech... talk about bad taste!)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »

'Surfin' USA' and 'Little Deuce Coup' always loomed too large in the mind of the public, even while they were producing 'Heroes and Villains' -- and for that, I blame the band's name.
Well, that is because Surfin' USA and Little Deuce Coupe are better songs than Heroes and Villains.

T_T
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:25 AM »

Yup. And it's so much better than Einstürzende Neubauten or You've Got Foetus On Your Breath (yech... talk about bad taste!)

Why? Was that something they were considering in '61? (Bet that was Mike's idea!) Glad they went with Beach Boys.......
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:18 AM »

Yes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »

Why? Was that something they were considering in '61? (Bet that was Mike's idea!) Glad they went with Beach Boys.......

LOL

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »

A classic: "The Bitch Boys"

Or The Bleach Boys.

At least they never did like ?, !!!, or Prince and change their name to unpronounceable symbols.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »

'The Beach Boys' is a terrible name, and it really damaged the group's reputation from 1965 onwards. ('The Pendletons' and 'Carl and the Passions' would have been even worse -- too redolent of 50's doo wop.)

I mean,  most of the names of bands formed in the early 60's came to sound a bit dated later in the decade -- Gerry and the Pacemakers, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Four Seasons, even the Beatles. But the name, 'the Beach Boys', unlike most of those other names, seems too tied down to a particular fad : surfing.

The Beatles were allowed to go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to "Tomorrow Never Knows" without people holding the naivete of those earlier songs against them, in a way that the Beach Boys weren't. 'Surfin' USA' and 'Little Deuce Coup' always loomed too large in the mind of the public, even while they were producing 'Heroes and Villains' -- and for that, I blame the band's name.

Would the Boys have better withstood the battering that their reputation and image underwent in the late 60's, if the group name were 'the Kingsmen',  or 'the Ventures', for instance?

YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG BUDDY! That is one of the most ignorant stupid things Ive ever heard in regards to the BBs. Dolt.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »

The Beach.

I think this would have been perfect, or as perfect as possible while providing continuity.  I love the so-called fun-in-the-sun stuff, but I agree that their name (and Mike Love) was limiting and cost them some credibility, as foolish as that may be.

Marketing is everything- their output of great albums was consistent from '63 thru 73 and ya cant blame their name for any forks in the road- thats asinine.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »

As they are, in most intelligent circles, highly critically acclaimed and still around, I would argue their name hasn't really damaged their career that much.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 12:44:04 AM »

As they are, in most intelligent circles, highly critically acclaimed and still around, I would argue their name hasn't really damaged their career that much.

Agree. They went from 'simple', rocking surf- and car-related material to the utmost toppermost levels of sophistication (to wit: Lenny Bernstein sings the praise of 'Surf's Up'), with the same name. Can't think of any better proof.

However, I sometimes wonder that I almost always have to explain to 'the layperson', for want of a better word, that the Boys went far beyond their early hits, and produced so much distinct, non-generic, material later on in their career, whereas I don't have to do that with regard to the Beatles?

Any ideas here?

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »

My idea is that most people are morons.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »

LOL

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »

- Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. - George Carlin

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 05:29:08 AM »

They could have called themselves 'The ABLE'.

(Sorry, I was away for awhile; duplicating the universe. Done.)

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »

The Beach Starship

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »

I think the name is fine, really don't think that caused any image damage.  IMO it was the Baywatch lovin', crocodile rockin' 80's cheeze fest. 
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

If not the beach boys, which I like than maybe The Hawthorne Experience....? If there was no jimmy, hero vibrations
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »

Surf's Up would have been a cool name.

Did anyone ever find out the individual(s) who changed their name, and if they considered any other alternatives?
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

Surf's Up would have been a cool name.

Did anyone ever find out the individual(s) who changed their name, and if they considered any other alternatives?

If you mean in the beginning, wasn't it Russ Regan, the DJ, on his own? Or a similar personality?  Too lazy to run to the book shelf to look up something I've known for years.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx