gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681553 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 01:45:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Picture that is SO cool.  (Read 10755 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

The Beach Boys on tour 1963. Anyone notice the group lineup?  LOL

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »

No Brian, but Al and David? Very bizarre...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

Ah youth!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »

That's probably from the part of the 1963 tour when Brian asked Al back to replace him. This is just before David split.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

May 1963 is the date on the pic according to the article.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »

Cool picture ! Thank you.

How about one from a few years later?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »

Is that The Hoff?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing, I never saw that one before!

As far as that particular band lineup, go to this link to a recent thread, and you'll see a few concert pics from a '63 show in Portland, OR featuring that same lineup, and showing Al playing Brian's Fender P-bass at the concert.

Link: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14109.msg312609.html#msg312609

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »

That photo can't be real because Dave and Al were never in the Beach Boys at the same time...right?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »

May 1963 is the date on the pic according to the article.
I think its from August 25, 1963.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

As far as that particular band lineup, go to this link to a recent thread, and you'll see a few concert pics from a '63 show in Portland, OR featuring that same lineup, and showing Al playing Brian's Fender P-bass at the concert.

Link: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14109.msg312609.html#msg312609
I think its a different thread than the one you linked.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »

Carl's pants are up a little high, aren't they?  There's no way that's comfortable.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »

Carl's pants are up a little high, aren't they?  There's no way that's comfortable.

Pants were worn way up like that in the (early) 60s. Most of the teen idols wore 'em like that. Really does look uncomfortable.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »

Carl's pants are up a little high, aren't they?  There's no way that's comfortable.

Pants were worn way up like that in the (early) 60s. Most of the teen idols wore 'em like that. Really does look uncomfortable.

Trousers used to be designed to sit on what is the human anatomical waist.  It's not uncomfortable, because the trousers were designed that way.  In today's world, where most people wear trousers around the hips, or below, trouser design has changed to accommodate this.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »

That's the right one - there are a bunch of photos about Portland station KISN in that thread, scroll down a bit from the link location and they're all there. Including the Brian-less Al and Dave lineup on stage and Dennis singing...very cool.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »

That's the right one - there are a bunch of photos about Portland station KISN in that thread, scroll down a bit from the link location and they're all there. Including the Brian-less Al and Dave lineup on stage and Dennis singing...very cool.  Smiley
Ah cool...I thought you are referring to the thread from a couple months ago where we put up multiple shots of the Dave/Al lineup playing live.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:39:13 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »

No Brian, but Al and David? Very bizarre...

Why is that bizarre?  Al and Dave were together in the studio and even on the road sometimes in '63.  Brian was home writing or in the studio.

Here's the same combo in these pictures on the beach:

http://www.rockaway.com/online/online/title.php?ItemID=21279

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »

Nothing against Bruce, but that picture is a great "what if." What if Brian decided at that time he was leaving the road for good. Maybe Brian never has his breakdown and Murry – with no replacement waiting in the wings – doesn't ride Dave so hard that he quits.

It would have been interesting to hear what the group would have done. Ah, what if?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »

That photo can't be real because Dave and Al were never in the Beach Boys at the same time...right?

If you read your book, you would know the answer to that! Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »

That is probably the only picture in existance where Al Jardine has to bend over in order to make himself look shorter.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 03:51:07 AM »

Is that The Hoff?

It sure is. It's taken from the filming of the Beach Boys- Baywatch episode. I have another picture of the stage for the concert-segment with David, Al, Mike and Bruce. Unfortunately neither Brian nor carl are there although they both appeared on the "Summer of love" intro but David wasn't there. A picture of all six from that time would've been neat

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »

Totally agree. And the other anachronism is that Brian is nowhere to be seen in this photo. Everyone knows he didn't leave the touring band until 1965, and then went to bed for a decade right after Smile collapsed. Sheesh. This is Beach Boys 101.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »

I really like that picture. Always nice to find something rare after 40 years of fandom. HS! 40 years....crap!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »

the concert video of Al & David being at one stage together 

What concert video is there of Al and David together? (except for those in 2012 of course...and during the 90s(?))

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

the concert video of Al & David being at one stage together  

What concert video is there of Al and David together? (except for those in 2012 of course...and during the 90s(?))

There's some of it in "An american band" or "Endless harmony" (probably both). Couldn't find it on youtube

EDIT:

Found this. It says it is from May 1963 in Sacramento

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:44:56 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx