gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:01:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CalSaga at Grammy Museum - 7/10/12  (Read 27501 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

The Beach Boys and Brother Records proudly present

“CALIFORNIA SAGA”
The next chapter in the story of America’s Band

Group to perform with at Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, CA

Over the last 50 years the Beach Boys have become the most successful band in American music history. As they celebrate that anniversary with a new album and an international tour their children come to together to honor that legacy and write a new chapter in this family band. “California Saga” is a band comprising of the historic bloodlines that fueled some of the greatest songs in the pop music songbook. With a rare vocal blend only possible in siblings the band explores the Beach Boys rarities catalog and brings to life songs that may never have been performed live before.

The group made their debut performing alongside The Beach Boys at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, June 2nd, then again the following night to open the Sunday, June 3rd show in Irvine at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. California Saga is pleased to join the Beach Boys during their appearance at The Grammy Museum in LA.

Follow the band on Facebook at: www.Facebook.com/CalSagaBand

When: July 10, 2012
Time: 8pm  (there will be a one hour interview and Q&A followed by a performance)
Where: Clive Davis Theatre at the Grammy Museum, 800 West Olympic Blvd.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:05:56 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »

Wait, so it's the Beach Boys and Cal. Saga ? Cool ! I thought it was just Cal. Saga

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »

Corrected.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »

Any board members want to meet up and hang/geek out a bit before and/or after the show? 
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

I've really been digging what I've been hearing from them. Hope they make it down south one day Smiley
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »

Wait ........ The Beach Boys are gonna be there too? Are you actually telling me I have a ticket to see The Beach Boys perform in a 200-seat theater?
I think I'll choose not to get my hopes up just yet, for the sake of the health of my heart.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »

So it would seem. Good score!

'The group is set to perform alongside the Beach Boys on July 10th at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles.'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-offspring-form-new-group-california-saga-20120709

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:35:27 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »

I just called the venue and they said they weren't aware of the Beach Boys performing--they weren't told anything.  But if they were told, they probably wouldn't be able to say anything anyway.   Huh Um okay......

It's possible (though highly unlikely) they could be there but it'd be a tight, tight trip.  Colorado tonight then a 90 minute plane ride over to LA for the Cal Saga group at the Grammy's then hop another plane that same evening for a show in Calgary, Canada.  I mean, I guess it's possible.  But if they don't have to make this performance why bother adding a side trip like that? 

I think RS mag just got it wrong...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »

Well I notice since the beach boys name got attached to this gig it has suddenly sold out  LOL

I hope they show up so their won't be a bunch of disappointed people

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

I would feel badly for Cal Saga if they had to see a bunch of people groan and moan because they were expecting to see the BB show up instead of actually wanting to see their new band perform.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the BB to be there also...I've been to this venue before and it's a small theatre...the sound would be amazing but this weird mystery billing puts Cal Saga in the backseat when the evening was supposed to be about them.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »

I'm plenty excited just to see Cal Saga, but I probably wouldn't complain if the BBs decided to join them for a song or two.

Also, there's supposed to be a Q&A. Does anyone have any good ideas for questions for Cal Saga?

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »

I'm plenty excited just to see Cal Saga, but I probably wouldn't complain if the BBs decided to join them for a song or two.

Also, there's supposed to be a Q&A. Does anyone have any good ideas for questions for Cal Saga?

Will Carnie do playboy again?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »

Will Carnie do playboy again?
Will Wendy do Playboy, too?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »

Billy says they are adding a new song to the setlist.

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »

Rolling Stone has edited their post to remove the part about The Beach Boys joining them and Cal Saga posted on Facebook mentioning being excited for their first "stand alone" show.  Looks like its going to be them solo, which is still totally awesome.

I'm pumped!

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »

Good to hear...thanks for the update.

Would've been amazing to have the parents along with them but I was happy enough to buy tickets with just Cal Saga performing, just as well. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »

I'm jealous, doinnothin.

where else can you hear 'Anna Lee' live ?

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »

Mike Love was there, no mention of any other BB.  He joined them onstage for California Girls, per Grammy Museum.

http://twitpic.com/a6aiqq
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »

This was one of the most (if not the most) amazing BB-related events/shows I've ever been to. Absolutely historic. Mike Love took the stage and had such a truly, from the heart, emotional moment with his family onstage, it had to be seen to be believed.

Not to oversell it, but in all honesty, it was touching and moving like nothing people in that room (or even Mike himself) were prepared for.

I think that when footage of this is seen, it will have an impact (positive) on the history of this band, and help to heal some of the things that have happened along the way in the eyes of the public. Being there in person to see this feet away from me was unreal.

And this is overlooking the actual song performances which were utterly STELLAR and SPECTACULAR.
It's times like these that I'm so very glad to be a (lucky) L.A. native when it comes to seeing very special BB-related shows like this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:46:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »

When do you plan to post the youtube videos you recorded?

No mas, por favor.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »

Could you provide a bit more detail, please? Huh

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »

Someone else who I was with there did capture this footage and it'll be up very soon from what I gather.

Mike had an honest emotional moment from his heart which brought him to tears, like many others there too. The audience gasped when it happened. It started when he was talking to Carl B. about hardly knowing him while he grew up, and it was Mike just talking in a very honest and pure fashion about how he knows his vilified persona within the public eyes, but trying to explain how he had good intentions along the way.

There was nary a dry eye in the house or onstage amongst the Saga kids either.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

Century said it better than I could put to words.

Tonight was absolutely perfection. A wonderful night to see a family reunion unfold in front of your eyes.  Everywhere you looked in the audience the extended Beach Boy family, Marilyn, Bobby Figueroa, Allan Boyd, Jonah Wilson, Barbara Wilson and on and on were all greeting each other and catching up---the room was so full of love.  When Cal Saga came on, and started singing, it was exactly the way it should have gone...the singing was top notch and they moved as one.

Mike Love, the prince of cool was in attendance and was smack dab, first row, cheering both Ambha and Christian.  He was bobbing his head, grooving along and even singing along quietly to himself, mouthing the words to many songs even songs he never sang lead on like "Till I Die."  It was extremely great to see this.  He got up to do "California GIrls" with the group and to hear him come through the speakers practically a cappella---was glorious.  That bass vocal...wow.  

As Century mentioned above, when MIke took the stage to say a few words, no one could have anticipated how much the emotions poured out of him...but they were bubbling to the surface.  The night was about healing wounds, letting the music heal the scars and just keeping the love within the family....from my perspective, Mike was moved by the entire evening.  When he spoke of Justyn and Carl B.'s voices, Mike was visibly emotional and the room fell silent as we hung on every word.    You'll see.

I'm currently uploading both "California Girls" and Mike's little speech that I described above.  Quite frankly, it's a video every fan should see.  
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »

There were so many great moments at this show, it's hard to get them all straight in my head.

A couple more tidbits:

- During the Q&A I politely made a request for the band to (in the future) cover All I Wanna Do + Celebrate the News. When Carnie seemed perplexed as to what song All I Wanna Do was, Mike Love (sitting in the front row a few sets from me) started singing a few lines from the song. First ever live (or partial live) version by Mike?

- Mike also said California Saga would be opening for the Beach Boys next year, along the lines of this being part of a tour.  Yes, this 50th tour is not the end of the BB (but we all kinda knew that already, right)?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx