gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:17:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New group interview at Studio Q (Canada)  (Read 9526 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »

BB interview at Studio Q.

The guy, Jiam Ghomeshi, did a good interview with Brian not too long ago.  Haven't listened to this one yet.
Hopefully they will post the whole interview in video too.

Teaser: http://youtu.be/8gLqmpEnKFU

Interview: http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2012/06/20/the-beach-boys-on-q/

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »

Oh hell yeah...Jiam knows his stuff and seems to put Brian at ease.  Surely to be good interview...thanks for the heads up!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »

Yes, he definitely did one of the best recentish interviews with Brian -- looking forward to this!

EDIT: Great job here, much more interesting than the sort of thing where they get asked if they surf.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:38:34 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

This interviewer is fantastic, really knows his stuff

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

Yes! i was so hoping for this to happen! his interview with Brian was amazing! can't wait for the full video (why wouldn't they post it) !!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »

This interviewer is fantastic, really knows his stuff

Don't tell that to Billy Bob Thorton!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

Pretty good interview...I wouldn't say it's better than his interview with Brian a couple years ago but still good to get the full band in this kind of setting away from typical "how's it been being together?" questions.   Very little David though.  Some great moments with Al and his discovery about the Spanish lyric in IJWMFTT and Mike going into band's duality with the fun songs vs. the more complex music...but Mike really didn't seem to interested in Jiam's questions about analyzing the music or their career.  It's totally fair because not everyone is fond of looking back and breaking down what's already happened.   Mike doesn't seem like that type. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

He really could've used a full hour.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »

Great ! The solo Brian interview was very, very good ! Can't wait to watch the whole BBs one

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »

Pretty cool interview. Mike musing about the operation he'd need to sing as high as Bruce, Al not knowing about the Spanish part in IJWMFTT, Brian creating Brianisms and generally a good atmosphere among the Boys.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Still waiting for the interviewer who asks the boys - sitting around their mics like here - to just sing a short snippet. Maybe "just a chord like we used to"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »

When will the full interview be online?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

Well, the audio already is.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »

Great interview. They all sound like they're enjoying themselves, and the muttered jokes and asides remind me of the old BBs interviews from the 60s. Wow, the guys are so complimentary to Brian, particularly Al. I know they always appreciated him, but it seems they have a newfound appreciation after all these years. I'm glad David finally got to speak toward the end.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

Well, the audio already is.

I meant the video, but i didn't know for the audio! *gives a delicious kiss on the left cheek*
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

That was really, really good.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »

Boy, that was good.

All 25 minutes are an uninterrupted, fluent, touching, and gently lucid flow of conversation from five men who have, at last, astoundingly, aged gracefully. With a few goofy, but not at all embarrassing, moments to top everything off.

It's difficult to try pick out the best moments, but I have to mention two:

1. Every word Mike says from 8:42 to 10:48 is golden. "Everyone can ruminate over [the past] if they wish, but it's kind of a waste of time. Because all you really have is the present." That never becomes a cliché to me. You could print it on a coffee mug maybe, or you could experience the eternal now, but however you look at it, it's just plain wisdom.

1a. And then, near the end of this section, when Mike goes around the table, praising the abilities of everyone in the group... I just loved to hear that.

2. Al speaking directly to Brian at 13:01-13:15: "that's how we feel about you," and Brian's reaction.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:40:22 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »

I really was dying to hear if the Beach Boys cared about being cool, but unfortunately that question wasn't really answered...

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »

I doubt they worry about it. Whether cool or not, they still have enough of a fanbase to tour every year and release a new album every 20. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »

There's been some excellent interviews recently. This one ranks among the best.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »

Another Canadian interview, seemingly recorded the same day as the Q one.  Not worth its own thread, so just adding it here.
A little bit of improv singing in this one:  http://youtu.be/xTJPAHIfSrk

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 12:04:55 AM »

What about the comment from some douche' bag on the link..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:08:33 AM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »

Clearly the guy does not understand the dynamics of the band and is probably under the impression that Mike is Brian (since at no point does Brian claim he's a great writer/producer/performer). When you understand that the band praising the material or arrangements is intended as a compliment to Brian, the comments appear a lot less arrogant than if the guys were talking about their own accomplishments. Now, of course, Mike is going to talk up his stuff too, but that goes with the territory.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »

Clearly the guy does not understand the dynamics of the band and is probably under the impression that Mike is Brian (since at no point does Brian claim he's a great writer/producer/performer). When you understand that the band praising the material or arrangements is intended as a compliment to Brian, the comments appear a lot less arrogant than if the guys were talking about their own accomplishments. Now, of course, Mike is going to talk up his stuff too, but that goes with the territory.

I wonder though if Brian is comfortable with all this praise from the boys or if he'd rather be handled just like a regular buddy.

- Jack Rieley
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »

I wonder though if Brian is comfortable with all this praise from the boys or if he'd rather be handled just like a regular buddy.

I've wondered that myself, but since so much of what motivates Brian seems to be approval from his fans and especially his peers, it probably doesn't hurt.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx