gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681484 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 07:20:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The five biggest surprises of the reunion  (Read 3010 times)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:52:31 AM »

1) the voices and the blend are still so strong we knew what Brian was capable of vocally and he delivered, especially on Summer's Gone. I think Al stepped up beyond expectations, even better than his solo album. Perhaps the Joe Thomas magic working for him too. But the biggest surprise I think is Bruce, who lives sounds raspy and a bit weak, but on record is all over the harmonies, delivering a pure and youthful sound. The mid-range blend of Bruce/Brian/Al is fantastic, and Foskett not a distraction. The one tiny point of disappointment is that Mike sounds a bit tired on the album. However he sounds great live - strange one. but that blend on the Rolling Stone sessions - magical.

2) Brian managed to write some of his best songs since 1977. we've all discussed the magic qualities of the suite, the pure doo wop fun of isn't it time etc. Brian really pulled it out for this one.

3) the backing band don't overshadow the Beach Boys singing live . listening to the NPR recording, it really sounds like BBs concert, not the BW band with guest vocals.

4) Joe Thomas the new hero. Joe was really unpopular around here. His production on Imagination was cheesy, he got fired from the touring group. But he has emerged from this a real legend in my eyes. He's clearly a great collaborator for Brian, the lyrics on this album better than TLOS. Hes managed to keep harmony within the group and most of all the production is slick but not too slick, with a genuine BW sound on some songs. Not easy and huge credit to him.

5) 1965 Mike Love did not re-emerge. I know this is a weird one to be surprised about, but a lot of people here were talking about the Wilson/Love partnership, how lucky we were to still have that, that they could re-capture the brilliance of Kiss Me Baby, All I Wanna Do etc. Mike himself talked abiut how he was trying to write reat lyrics. In reality Mike managed Beaches In Mind. So terrifyingly predictable. However Mike has been is usually excellent self in promoting the group, interviews, leading the band live, and best of all, supporting Brian in a loving way. And we love him for that.

What are your biggest surprises?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:13:23 AM »

On "Isn't It Time" Mike starts laughing when he sings his line. Guess Brian was pulling a face.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:00:01 AM »

1) Brian writing such great songs after it seemed he was more interested in covers than new writing.

2) The other members allowing Brian to essentially control the album.

3) The melancholy feel even when it makes the album less commercial

4) It's not been primarily about the cash; clearly the album was made with artistic legacy considerations, otherwise there's no way that Brian would have been given so much freedom to write melancholy tunes

5) The fact that it is rarely over-produced, unlike previous BW product.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:01:01 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
MBE
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »

All good points but I would say thankfully 1965 Mike did emerge in some fashion as he was an excellent (and fairly progressive) co-writer and vocalist for Brian. I'm just glad 1990 Mike is gone!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:23 AM »

I'm still reeling from fact that it's happened at all, and overwhelmed by its success.

I'll get around to an analysis in, ooh, about 2022!

I'm just a happy boy!

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »

1 It happened.

2 Mike allowed an outside party to manage the tour.

3 After almost 2 months on the road they STILL seem to enjoy each others company. (By Beach Boys standards anyway)

4 To have 'The Beach Boys' and 'Hit New Album' in the same sentence.

5 I'm going to see them! Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »

All good points but I would say thankfully 1965 Mike did emerge in some fashion as he was an excellent (and fairly progressive) co-writer and vocalist for Brian. I'm just glad 1990 Mike is gone!

That is something I unfortunately can't agree with because I see shades of 1990 Mike.
Great vocalist of course. But I am really disappointed with his lyrics (or those who I guess are his). In fact "spring vacation, good vibration" and "we'll find a place in the sun where everybody can have fun" are the absolute low-points of this album for me. The latter part also seems to have been put into the song without being worked on to fit, therefor it sounds out of place in every way (and like something I have heard before...maybe "It's a beautiful day"?). Anyway those are two big mistakes imo and judging by how well the whole reunion thing is going I am really surprised (to get back on topic) that no one told Mike to go back and write something better. We know that Mike can write good and at times even great lyrics to Brian-songs. But these are utter garbage (not that the rest of SV's and BIM's lyrics are much better). As a producer I would've told him to come up with something good. Doesn't need to be the best ever. I wonder why Brian and Thomas didn't do anything about it. I was very glad when Mike mentioned he wanted to work on the lyrics and take his time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:21:29 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »

Agree, Rocker. Lowers the tone, somewhat.  I actually prefer his lyrics to Daybreak.

Honk! Honk!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »

2) Brian managed to write some of his best songs since 1977. we've all discussed the magic qualities of the suite, the pure doo wop fun of isn't it time

If only the production was as good as in the 60's, would definitely a solid stuff.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »

I actually prefer his lyrics to Daybreak.

Yeah, those are good

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »

I seem to recall Al saying during a promo interview (can't remember which one) a while back before the tour even started saying that fans could look forward to a few surprises throughout the tour.  At the time, I thought he meant special guests joining them but since we're now halfway through the tour I suppose he meant surprises in the set list?  Not to say that the setlist additions aren't appreicated by me, but I assumed Al was hinting to something slightly bigger things than just song additions!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »

I seem to recall Al saying during a promo interview (can't remember which one) a while back before the tour even started saying that fans could look forward to a few surprises throughout the tour.  At the time, I thought he meant special guests joining them but since we're now halfway through the tour I suppose he meant surprises in the set list?  Not to say that the setlist additions aren't appreicated by me, but I assumed Al was hinting to something slightly bigger things than just song additions!

The inclusion of Dennis and Carl is a big suprise

- Jack Rieley
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:41:15 PM »

I think that the thing hasn't fallen apart in any way yet is somewhat a surprise. We all know this band's and Brian's history, so I don't think many of us would've been shocked if something had happened to throw a cog in the plans.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »

The inclusion of Dennis and Carl is a big suprise

True!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

1. They can still harmonize.
2. They are playing three hour shows.
3. David Marks was included!
4. Brian hasn't quit.
5. The album actually is REALLY good.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »

I actually prefer his lyrics to Daybreak.

Yeah, those are good

Beaches sounds unfinished. Cool ideas but under developed. Lyrics don't rescue it, of course. But, as a fan, I can dig it in a Make It Big, Lana, or The Shift manner.

Isn't it time works better lyric-wise, but that's a stronger song.

Mike's lyrics are on par with what he was given, I think.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

I was just listening to Spring Vacation today, first time since it leaked (and god it's terrible..)
and there's one thing that's a bit weird in the song :

When the bridge comes in, i don't know who starts singing "every night's a special occasion"
then after, i can hear Mike Love (?) saying few words blurred in the sound, like "take...way...sion"?
and then there's nothing, it just randomly stops.. just the instrumental playing and some background vocals

What's up with that ? sounds like it's unfinished, with some missin' parts, or that it was rushed and they were like "whatever, leave it like that".
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:36:53 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx