gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:33:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not one vocal credit for David Marks on the new album?  (Read 11058 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

Anyone notice there's a very obvious electric guitar on "Strange World"...but the credits, at least on my advance copy, say there's no guitars on that song. Just sayin'.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »

Anyone notice there's a very obvious electric guitar on "Strange World"...but the credits, at least on my advance copy, say there's no guitars on that song. Just sayin'.

that's the accordian you're hearing

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MBE
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »

My feeling is that David is THE musician in the current group so he played to his strengths.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »

The only two places where guitar is prominent, "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind", it's being played by Jeff Baxter from the Doobie Brothers. Makes you wonder what, if any, contribution Dave had on the album.

I'm hearing an electric rhythm guitar in the chorus of "Isn't It Time", mixed quite low.  Dave's the only guitarist credited on the song, so that's one sighting!  He's credited on six other tracks as well, but most of them have a whole bunch of guitarists on them, so it'll be tough to pick him out.

Actually, I've been wondering:  can anyone point to an identifiable David Marks part on any Beach Boys track?  Given that he was generally playing rhythm, and Carl was usually doing a second rhythm part when he wasn't soloing...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »

The only two places where guitar is prominent, "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind", it's being played by Jeff Baxter from the Doobie Brothers. Makes you wonder what, if any, contribution Dave had on the album.

I'm hearing an electric rhythm guitar in the chorus of "Isn't It Time", mixed quite low.  Dave's the only guitarist credited on the song, so that's one sighting!  He's credited on six other tracks as well, but most of them have a whole bunch of guitarists on them, so it'll be tough to pick him out.

Actually, I've been wondering:  can anyone point to an identifiable David Marks part on any Beach Boys track?  Given that he was generally playing rhythm, and Carl was usually doing a second rhythm part when he wasn't soloing...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Well, for accuracy's sake, Carl was not playing a second rhythm part or a similar rhythm part on most of the tracks David is on. They tended to play very different parts "Surfin USA" is a great example...no similarity in what they're playing other than it compliments the other guy. David is the first guitar you hear on "Your Summer Dream" ...the first higher register guitar you hear on "Surf Jam"...he's real prominent on "Shut Down", "Surfin USA", "Surfer Girl"...totally obvious on "Miserlou"...hard to miss on "Catch A Wave"...the loudest guitar in the mix on the last third of "In My Room"...definitely there on "Little Saint Nick"...you hear his rhythm clearly coming out of the guitar break on "409"...he's totally obvious on "Surfin Safari"...easily heard on "Ten Little Indians"...loud as hell on "Let's Go Trippin'"...umm...he's real easy to find on just about all the tracks from the first four albums.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:14:12 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »

No
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »

Dave is not credited with any vocals on the album. Given the rumors of his relatively late addition to the reunion, it's certainly plausible that his contributions to the album are limited to a few tracks of nearly inaudible rhythm guitar.
I think he plays a fair amount of guitar on the CD, and is credited on about 8 of the tracks. Its just not a very guitar heavy production in general so most of his parts are, shall we say, subtle.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/06/audiography-episode-040-al-jardine-and-david-marks-of-the-beach-boys/

About 49 minutes in David said he was pretty much given free rein to play what he wants on the album. No specifics though.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »

Those palm muted notes around :44 is an accordian? Interesting. Can someone upload a youtube video of an accordian doing that?
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »

I remember initially Dave's accent/pronunciation on the word 'Gawd' on the TWGMTR  single being discussed in depth here.   Is it now the official word that Dave does not appear vocally anywhere on this album?  Say it ain't so...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »

that was "the professor" saying that David, who grew up across the street from the Wilson brothers, has a distinct California accent. pffft

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »

Actually, I've been wondering:  can anyone point to an identifiable David Marks part on any Beach Boys track?  Given that he was generally playing rhythm, and Carl was usually doing a second rhythm part when he wasn't soloing...

Well, for accuracy's sake, Carl was not playing a second rhythm part or a similar rhythm part on most of the tracks David is on. They tended to play very different parts "Surfin USA" is a great example...no similarity in what they're playing other than it compliments the other guy. David is the first guitar you hear on "Your Summer Dream" ...the first higher register guitar you hear on "Surf Jam"...he's real prominent on "Shut Down", "Surfin USA", "Surfer Girl"...totally obvious on "Miserlou"...hard to miss on "Catch A Wave"...the loudest guitar in the mix on the last third of "In My Room"...definitely there on "Little Saint Nick"...you hear his rhythm clearly coming out of the guitar break on "409"...he's totally obvious on "Surfin Safari"...easily heard on "Ten Little Indians"...loud as hell on "Let's Go Trippin'"...umm...he's real easy to find on just about all the tracks from the first four albums.

Fair enough -- I didn't mean to say he was inaudible!  It's just that in most of those tracks, I couldn't listen to the two guitar parts and say that one's Carl, and that one's David, just by the characteristics of what they're playing.  Which is probably why I can't tell which one out of four or five different guitar parts on the new tracks is David...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 04:53:07 AM »

Fair enough -- I didn't mean to say he was inaudible!  It's just that in most of those tracks, I couldn't listen to the two guitar parts and say that one's Carl, and that one's David, just by the characteristics of what they're playing.  Which is probably why I can't tell which one out of four or five different guitar parts on the new tracks is David...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Dave plays the little descending lead lines (sliding his finger down the fretboard) in the final chorus of "Surfin' USA" and the little lead lick in the fade of "Shut Down" (the final thing you hear on that record).  Thanks to Jon for including that info in his Dave book!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »

that was "the professor" saying that David, who grew up across the street from the Wilson brothers, has a distinct California accent. pffft

yes the professor's ear was accurate, but that voice must be someone else; when I heard where Dave grew up, I doubled down on my attribution because I was sure I heard  that "dennis miller sounding" flat a vowel (On "that's why Gad made" in refrain), transported to the Southbay, but it looks like that must be Jeff; I wrote in an earlier post  that I was wrong--just stone cold wrong, but I am sure confused that that's not Dave, as he sings that part in the sizzle real, and, asp. after hearing Hawaii in concert,i thought it was he.  The official record is that I was wrong; he is not singing anywhere.

he plays guitar on 7 tracks. Doe she not play the solos in both "beaches" and "Isn't it Time"?  I think Baxter is doing a background, fripertronics track

sorry for my error on Dave, but the greater sadness is that he's not singing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

Right, we saw him singing in the studio in various promo clips - what's up with that?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

Simple - all those promo clips were faked. The Beach Boys are a singing group, they had to make it look like they all sang.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »

Simple - all those promo clips were faked. The Beach Boys are a singing group, they had to make it look like they all sang.
I don't know about that. We've seen Dave in all kinds of situations standing next to the singing guys while just playing the guitar, most prominently at the concerts. Why should they fake it for bits of promo clips that just show seconds of the guys? Sure, the promo clips might have been entirely faked, but usually you do something you are used to or mimic something you have already done for this kind of thing.

Anyway, it's a shame, since his voice is really okay and would easily have found its place in the (studio) blend.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »

It's the same reason Jeff isn't shown singing in most of the promo clips... it's not part of the image they want to be portrayed.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »

It's the same reason Jeff isn't shown singing in most of the promo clips... it's not part of the image they want to be portrayed.
I understand what you are trying to say, I'm just not convinced it's true.  Wink
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »

Again...Anyone notice there's a very obvious electric guitar on "Strange World"...but the credits, at least on my advance copy, say there's no guitars on that song. Just sayin' (again).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

Again...Anyone notice there's a very obvious electric guitar on "Strange World"...but the credits, at least on my advance copy, say there's no guitars on that song. Just sayin' (again).
Yeah. So who knows.. maybe Dave's somewhere there in the mix on some tunes, vocally. Maybe we'll never find out.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »

if David sang an ounce on any of the tracks they would've gone out of their way to make sure it said it.

Jon, why don't you ask Dave about his involvement on the record?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »

if David sang an ounce on any of the tracks they would've gone out of their way to make sure it said it.

Sorry...no comment.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »

Sorry...no comment.

Until I hear a full, official bibliographical analysis from an official source, (I would never pressure Jon in this regard) I will continue to hope to be hearing Dave all over the 7 tracks for which he is credited, playing his classic punk obbligato and taking some tasty leads and breaks. Dave loves the Beatles: is he playing the Beatles-style guitar prominent at the end of Shelter?  That's certainly him, is it not, in Beach in Mind, when Mike sings "south bay surfin again"?  He's on "Summer's Gone" playing those plaintive riffs, no? 

Some us so are so deeply fond of Dave. His participation is the main engine of my pleasure and interest in the reunion, so those of us so dedicated to his work with the BB simply want to be able justly and accurately celebrate him.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »

I should add:  I just read the MOJO article, which distinctly witnesses Brain vocally directing all the BB, named, including Dave, at the mics, on the chorus of Shelter. I remain at a loss for understanding his lack of a vocal/vocal credit. And I am dying to know his exact guitar part(s) in each song, if anyone has to sonic chops or historical knowledge to supply such an inventory.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

Any Smiley-Smiler's on deck for a meet & greet?  I'm sure Dave would be happy to clear this up.  Please pose the question on behalf of his loyal fans?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx