gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 10:15:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR Official Reviews  (Read 16770 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

So, does metacritic simply ignore the reviews without numbers?

Nope. It included the NYTimes review, ranking it as a 70 (which seems a bit low). They do not include all media outlets, though.

How did they figure it was a 70, if I may ask?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »

Nope. It included the NYTimes review, ranking it as a 70 (which seems a bit low). They do not include all media outlets, though.

Ask them.  Tongue
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »

Ask them.  Tongue

Seems a bit shady...

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »

Taking a break from starting threads here. Right now Metacritic is using Rolling Stone's review of the single for the album score. I would think on release day we'll see a flood of reviews and I predict  the album will end up with a score in the mid 70s.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »

i think mid 60's top.  but that's perfectly fine
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »

good review from the Oasis' fan site version of us

http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2012/06/review-the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »

Has no one yet mentioned the review in Rolling Stone? I couldn't seem to find it online but saw the magazine and it gave it 3 stars.
What a ridiculous history of reviews....online it now rates most of their albums differently. Summer Days 2 stars?HuhHuh
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »

Pretty good read

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »

Weird how the magazine review is done, but the website's not uploaded.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 05:44:39 AM »

The Onion's AV Club gave it a C+ this morning, but had some complimentary things to say about it. The comments, though, reveal the uphill battle to convince non-fans to give it a chance. On a sunnier note, I got the number two review on iTunes...and the reviews there are almost all terrific.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:46 AM »

Here's Time magazine's review, which is actually Consequence of Sound's review

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/06/05/beach-boys-new-album-timeless-harmonies-for-changing-times/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:23 AM »

Has no one yet mentioned the review in Rolling Stone? I couldn't seem to find it online but saw the magazine and it gave it 3 stars.
What a ridiculous history of reviews....online it now rates most of their albums differently. Summer Days 2 stars?HuhHuh

"Girl Don't Tell Me", "Help Me, Rhonda", "California Girls", "Let Him Run Wild", "Summer Means New Love", "And Your Dreams Come True" = total trash.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 06:55:40 AM »

The Onion's AV Club gave it a C+ this morning, but had some complimentary things to say about it. The comments, though, reveal the uphill battle to convince non-fans to give it a chance.

Well, let's face it, the Beach Boys put this upon themselves. The new album is in no way, objectively, a 10/10 or 9/10 or whatever. It's like one of Paul McCartney's better solo albums in the last two decades - fans will dig it, but the mom that listened to Help when she was growing up won't care.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »

""Girl Don't Tell Me", "Help Me, Rhonda", "California Girls", "Let Him Run Wild", "Summer Means New Love", "And Your Dreams Come True" = total trash."

For a magazine with an audience that revels in the notion that their dicks are really guitars, or vice versa, this doesn't come as a surprise.

Part of me can't help but think that a 50th anniversary reunion album is there to be shot down, particularly when several of the songs are the kind of poppy stuff you wouldn't associate with 70 year old men, and which are in no way anywhere near as good as the poppy stuff they did in their heyday.  However, some of the other stuff goes well beyond what I expected. This is the Beach Boys, however. They aren't and never were cool except to people in the know. Another, more modern band, let's say, could release a string of albums that trade on the same kind of riffs that their first two or three did - variations on their slow song; variations on their fast song; variations on their arty song - but, hey, they're a 'guitar band' and they're 'lads' and, for whatever reason, they're 'cool' amongst music media types and they'd get a good review. In retrospect, the Guardian review isn't that bad, although it gets a couple of songs dead wrong.

As much as I can't stand some of the production - particularly the fucking awful drums on some songs - I'll go with AGD and say this is their best album since Holland (not counting Love You).
Paulos
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »

No review so far on the BBC site, in fact no mention of the new album at all in their music section, very strange.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/06/album-review-the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio.html

from my little home town paper.

very good.

daybreak and Beaches not getting lots of love; any positivereviews of them avail.

I think this is a monster album. front page on Rhapsody

when does Billboear weigh in?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

i wanted to skip beaches in mind immediately when the drums kicked in.  I stuck with it though, against my natural instincts.
Paulos
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

There is a nice review on beachboys.com, gives it a four star rating.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »

Listening to the album now:

1. Think about the Days: Nice harmonies. Kinda wish it was all a capella though. 6/10.

2. That's Why God Made the Radio: Song sounds nicer here. Not sure why. Still as good as it was when I first heard it. 8/10.

3. Isn't it Time: Really nice catchy song. Like the middle eight, comes out of nowhere in a good way. Can see why this is going to be the second single. 7/10.

4. Spring Vacation: Love the intro. Really love the melody of this song. Lyrics aren't the greatest but the music makes up for it. 7/10.

5. The Private Life of Bill and Sue: Has a tropical feel to it which is kinda out of place and what was with the end lol? I like the chorus though. 6/10.

6. Shelter: Love the part leading to the chorus. Very heart warming chorus by the way. Really nice tune right up to the awesome tag. 7/10.

7. Daybreak over the Ocean: Kinda uninspired. Not a fan. Instrumental break is nice however. 5/10.

8. Beaches in Mind: A really uninspired song. All there is to say. 4/10.

9. Strange World: Really like the verses here. Love how the chorus goes into the verse. Nice little piece. Like the ending. 6/10.

10. From there to Back Again: Classic Brian. This sounds like a Pet Sounds song combined with a Today! side 2 piece. The starts and stops in the middle are great. Proof that Brian never lost it. Great ending. 9/10.

11. Pacific Coast Highway: Nice little reprise to Think about the Days at the beginning here. Kinda like how Our Prayer ends In Blue Hawaii. Sounds like something but I can't put my finger on it (maybe Pacific Ocean Blue). Nice little interlude. 6/10.

12. Summer's Gone: Really nice closer that features the classic Beach Boys harmonies. Have to remember not to listen to this right when the semester starts or I will ball my eyes out lol. Ending gave me chills. Great closer 7/10

Overall, I give the album 7/10. Good album that could've been great if some clunkers had been removed.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »

Listening to the album now:

1. Think about the Days: Nice harmonies. Kinda wish it was all a capella though. 6/10.

2. That's Why God Made the Radio: Song sounds nicer here. Not sure why. Still as good as it was when I first heard it. 8/10.

3. Isn't it Time: Really nice catchy song. Like the middle eight, comes out of nowhere in a good way. Can see why this is going to be the second single. 7/10.

4. Spring Vacation: Love the intro. Really love the melody of this song. Lyrics aren't the greatest but the music makes up for it. 7/10.

5. The Private Life of Bill and Sue: Has a tropical feel to it which is kinda out of place and what was with the end lol? I like the chorus though. 6/10.

6. Shelter: Love the part leading to the chorus. Very heart warming chorus by the way. Really nice tune right up to the awesome tag. 7/10.

7. Daybreak over the Ocean: Kinda uninspired. Not a fan. Instrumental break is nice however. 5/10.

8. Beaches in Mind: A really uninspired song. All there is to say. 4/10.

9. Strange World: Really like the verses here. Love how the chorus goes into the verse. Nice little piece. Like the ending. 6/10.

10. From there to Back Again: Classic Brian. This sounds like a Pet Sounds song combined with a Today! side 2 piece. The starts and stops in the middle are great. Proof that Brian never lost it. Great ending. 9/10.

11. Pacific Coast Highway: Nice little reprise to Think about the Days at the beginning here. Kinda like how Our Prayer ends In Blue Hawaii. Sounds like something but I can't put my finger on it (maybe Pacific Ocean Blue). Nice little interlude. 6/10.

12. Summer's Gone: Really nice closer that features the classic Beach Boys harmonies. Have to remember not to listen to this right when the semester starts or I will ball my eyes out lol. Ending gave me chills. Great closer 7/10

Overall, I give the album 7/10. Good album that could've been great if some clunkers had been removed.

The problem with Beaches In Mind is that the thing is just too dang slow. I see it as the nominal rocker on the album as indicated by the squonky  Jeff Baxter guitar and heavy beat  (really hate that guitar sound on a BBs album  BTW) The thing is- it just don't ROCK enough. If they could have simply sped up the tempo a bit, it would have stood out from the other tracks much better and could have been a nice change-of-pace track. What they they have here is a bit of a white elephant- a rocker that simply doesn't rock. They should have gone balls out on this one like they would have done back in the day.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:30:52 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/06/album-review-the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio.html

from my little home town paper.

very good.

daybreak and Beaches not getting lots of love; any positivereviews of them avail.

I think this is a monster album. front page on Rhapsody

when does Billboear weigh in?

I really like that review. Short and sweet

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »

General consensus of the reviewers seem to be:

BW has put magic into everything he touched.
Mike Love has put sulphuric acid into everything he touched.

Seems like most be hatin' on ML, which is ofc okey and everyone is used to it by now. His contributions pull the album down without a doubt and that mid section of songs are generally pointed out by critics to be weaker than the opening track or the final suite.

Basically means the Beach Boys struggle to create good upbeat songs while they can excel at writing slower songs. I guess the idea of upbeat rockers at the age of 70 is something many might cringe at... (Like I do when I hear Spring Vavation  Ahhh!)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »

The New York Times loves it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/arts/music/new-releases-from-the-beach-boys-and-alan-jackson.html?_r=1&ref=arts
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

USA Today's review

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/story/2012-06-04/beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio/55385752/1

Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/thats-why-god-made-the-radio-20120605
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:22:35 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »

Paste Magazine (6/10):

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/06/the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio.html
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx